Let's start a new club in North Natomas (Sacramento)

Discussion in 'USA West' started by smashndrop, Apr 9, 2007.

1. smashndrop

smashndrop Regular Member

To anyone who is in the North Sacramento area. After relocating here from Boston 3 months ago, I have only been to two clubs. One at UC Davis and another at CSUS. I believe there's one held at Folsom Middle School but that's a drive for me.

I was playing/training very regularly in Boston and I miss that opportunity here in Sacramento. I find that all the higher level clubs are in the Bay Area and I plan to be an advocate to raise the level of badminton in Sacramento.

During the next two weeks or so, I'm going to put together a plan to start a club in North Natomas area where I live. I believe this area will continue to grow and will be a good place to set up a formal club.

If you are a player, enthusiast, or coach, and would like to help establish a new club, please reply or send me a private msg with your name and email. I'd like to see if I can first get hold of a location.

Thank you.

2. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

I know Sacramento is growing with Asian populations (i.e. Chinese, Indonesian, etc) and would be a good city to expand badminton. Good luck!

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    even though i don't live close to you and probably won't be visiting your club any time soon, i want to wish you good luck with your club. we need more ppl like yourself who devote one's time for the good of badminton.

4. smashndrop

Thanks guys.

First of all, being Malaysian, it's in my blood. :)
    Secondly, I enjoy starting something new, that's also in my blood. :)

Being the President of my high school badminton club and then Founder/President of my undergrad badminton club will help but it's been almost 20 years since then. I just want to have a place to play closer to home and earlier in the mornings/afternoons so I can start teaching my kid as well. But you know, I don't think he'll be a world champion if he trains ahem...in the US. I'll have to send him back to Malaysia for summer camps for that. ;-)

5. govalley

govalley Regular Member

Pharmacist
    how old is your kid, boy or girl
    I might send my 10 yrs old daughter, too

6. billymark

billymark New Member

I'm pretty new to the Natomas area myself and am really interested in taking up badminton again. Originally from England, I worked in a sports center there for 6 years and played regularly (although not competitively in a league), reaching a reasonable standard. Unfortunately the only opportunity I've had to play in recent years was whilst working at a high school down in Fresno last year, but it really brought back a desire to play again.
    I've had two shoulder surgeries in the past year so I'm still in rehabilitation but would definitely be interested in playing again once fully recovered. If you manage to get something going please keep me informed.

7. smashndrop

For now, if you would like to play, Sac. State is free from 7pm to 10pm on Fri, Sat and Sun. You have to check the schedule though before you go: http://geocities.com/play-badminton/

Hope to see you there some time.

8. LBJohnny

LBJohnny New Member

Highschool Student
    Omg Omg!! I moved to Sacramento from Longbeach and need to find a place to play and train too. I miss badminton. Ermm ive heard of playing at Davis and csus but i was wondering if there are any Highschool students there. Do they let highschool students play there? Can someone plz mssg me all the info on those two spots including the time, fee and gym location. Happy i found this Forum.

9. smashndrop

LBJohny,

Here's the information for UC Davis.
    http://badminton.ucdavis.edu/clubinfo.html#schedules

The only difference is that Friday is now 6pm to 9pm instead of till 10pm. I have been to UC Davis only once and although they welcome outsiders, it really is a club for Davis students and faculty. But I think you get "invitational" treatment if you are pretty good. You also get a younger crowd and be able to mingle with people from college. You can contact the President of the club ahead of time before you go. I tend to have a hard time getting a respond back from them. The drop in fee is $5 per session and after that, you need to join their membership. Parking is meter-fed for a quarter for 10 mins.

On the other hand, Sac. State is free. Free parking, free to play. You just need to bring your own equipment including shuttles. The common rule is if you want to play, you need to bring a shuttle into the game.

Depending on where you live, I think Sac. State is closer overall and is open on Fri, Sat. Sun from 7pm to 10pm. Some people usually stay longer than 10pm. I would get there at around 7:15'ish because the gym is usually used by some college activity and they need to clean up so badminton doesn't start exactly at 7:00pm. Oh yes, the negative thing is that we never know when an activity goes pass 7pm. There were a couple of times when activity ran till 9pm or the whole night and the badminton events are cancelled without prior notice. Check this site before you go. http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/2418/

I'm new to the area myself so come and have some fun. The level of play is high B to some beginner levels.

I'm still in the process of getting in touch with some local Natomas schools.

Thanks.

10. smashndrop

Hi guys,

Here's an update. I managed to contact a few high schools in the Natomas area. It comes down to Inderkum High School.

They have 8 lined courts but part of their singles lines need to be taped due to basketball court colors covering them. Meaning, they left out the some of the singles lines so it wouldn't cut into the basketball free-throw area.

But the floors are gleaming hard wood floors. Almost a perfect place to play. We can play on Sundays, that looks like the best day as there are no events held that day. There's a facilities fee involved. I need to get a club started and we need to charge small dues in order to pay for the facility. But the gym beats Sac. State and UC Davis in terms of quality.

If you want free, Sac. State is the place to play in Sacramento. But if you want showers, nice hard wood floors, great lighting and lines that you can actually see, I would love to start a club at Inderkum High. Just need a couple of people to help me on starting the club.

11. sandyauc

sandyauc New Member

System Engineer
    Like to join Natomas Club

hi,
    We just move to Natomas area and looking for some Badminton club, came accross this Forum.
    Do we still have club in Natomas if yes how to join.
    What are timings to play.

thanks
    Kalia

12. smashndrop

I wasn't able to start this club as I didn't get any help and it was not cost efficient.

There are currently 3 clubs that I know of in the area.

1) UC Davis (15 mins) drive from Natomas. Mainly students and you need to pay either a drop-in fee of $5 or semester fee. Need to pay for parking as well. I think a quarter every 15 mins. If you're a student, it's a good place to meet other students. They also train for tournaments.

2) Sacramento State U. More info here.
    http://geocities.com/play-badminton/

Free to play. Bring your own racket and shuttles. Lots of players. 8 courts. But schedule is not guaranteed. There have been times when I went and the gym had a Sac. State event. Lighting is ok, floors are ok. You get what you pay for, "free". Free to park as well.

3) Folsom High School
    I currently play here now vs Sac. State. $4 to play. More chances to play even for the 35 min drive to Folsom. Lighting is better, floors are much better. But also bring your own equipment.
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/folsom_badminton/

If you need more info, please IM me privately.

Good Luck.

13. sandyauc

sandyauc New Member

System Engineer
    I can help you starting the club in Natomas. You did made some initial arrangements to start club in Natomas. I think if we can work together we can do it.
    Let me know
    thanks for suggesting badminton courts above.

14. tsao115

tsao115 New Member

Badminton Club in North Natomas?

Hi, I just came across this post. I am very interested in joinging/starting a badminton club in N. Natomas. I believe I can pull in 2 friends of mine to join also. Is this still a possibility?

15. sandyauc

sandyauc New Member

System Engineer
    badminton in Natomas

Well I am interested ,but we need to choose where should we play. Do you have any suggestions.

16. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

hey i'm at UCD does anyone live near the davis area?

17. tsao115

tsao115 New Member

Inderkum High school?

Hi Sandyauc, It looks like Smashndrop indicated that Inderkum HS is a possibility. I will see if Smashndrop will reply my email - or - I will contact Inderkum HS to see what the fee would be in a week or so.

Thanks.

18. Xmagic

Xmagic New Member

Any progress with the Natomas club?

19. flreina

flreina New Member

CFO
    Count me in for Natomas club

Hello all - I've been looking for a place to play since I moved to the US 8 years ago. I dropped by CSUS once but the games were apparently canceled. I have 3 family members I can bring in and possibly another 3 or 4 friends who are beginners.

20. Xmagic

Xmagic New Member