Competitive badminton in Victoria

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by prothobs, Apr 9, 2007.

1. prothobs

prothobs Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I was just curious about the badminton community in Victoria. What's the competitive junior play like? Are there lots of players? My family is considering moving there and I was just curious if the juniors play out of private clubs or more of a public community centre system. I've heard of the Brentwood and Cordova, but I'm not sure exactly what they are... country clubs?
    Also, does anyone know who coaches there?
    Basicly, are there lots of competitive players there?

Thanks a lot,

Thoby

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Argh! No, you can't go! DON'T GO!

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Brentwood and Cordova are like community halls with the difference that they are geared towards badminton not like a generic community gym. The lights are located on the sides of the courts (3 each at Brentwood and Cordova). Because they are community halls, various groups rents the courts. For example, Wednesday at Brentwood are rented by a group who does competitive doubles ladder, Mondays at Cordova are competitive doubles ladder, Wed at Cordova are competitive Mixed doubles. Tues/Thurs at Cordova are open drop-ins. All the above sessions uses feathers and there are other groups at Cordova at different times who plays with plastic. Check out www.badmintonvictoria.com for details.

For juniors, there are programs at Cordova which are run by Keith Anton but I don't know what the times are and Keith also coaches. Your best bet is to contact Keith Anton and/or Badminton Victoria (currently managed by Claire Sharp, ex-National and Commonwealth medalist). They have various programs for juniors (http://www.badmintonvictoria.com/play_PacificSport.html).

4. prothobs

prothobs Regular Member

Student
    Great thank you very much

5. Black_Knight

Black_Knight Regular Member

Hi,

I am currently training and playing in Victoria and i would probally say your best bet is to train with keith anton at Cordova bay, privates, and group training and maybe if you are an enthuisiastic junior train with the new head coach of pacific sport Brad Jahl. Both are great coaches and if you have any questions just let me know.

-Black_Knight