Proper nutrition and badminton (or other sports)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by silentheart, Apr 9, 2007.

1. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Here is a little story i bump into today. I was not happy about it.

I was at a local girl high school match (school to school) tonight to drop off some racquets and to see my friends girls in some butt kicking actions. What I saw and hear sadden me. Yes, most of the girls plays on varsity badminton team have nice figure and very thin. Same as for most of the school girl tennis team member. Most of them have good grade also and I can see them going to good university after high school. So they are not stupid either. However, I was sadden by how they keep up the thin and good figure. Many of them only eat only dinner. They skip breakfast and lunch. They take 2 bites of a muffin before the practice or match to boost the blood sugar level to get them over the last 2 hr before dinner. These are high school girls who is growing up and need a lot of nutrition for sports training.

So, for the teens (boys and girls) who are playing badminton right now. If you don't eat breakfast because you don't have time, please at lease drink a glass of milk in the morning. If you don't eat lunch because too many classes, please at lease eat some calcium enriched bread for lunch. Take a chewable vitamine supplement after dinner.

I don't care how good you are at badminton (or any sports) or how smart you are in your class, you need your health to enjoy the next 50~60 years.

I have a dream to play and enjoy badminton (and tennis) till I am 70.

2. FitnessFreak

FitnessFreak Regular Member

i am pretty thin, and i eat quite a bit...

i guess not to the extent your speaking of though.... anorexia is a huge problem especially for alot of teens

i eat alot-but i work out,jog, and play badminton all the time so i guess thats what keeps me thin lol

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I agree with you 100% on stay fit and thin through workout and sports. So you will be a role model for many of the girls. I like to thank you.

4. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    I agree, i have friends is on complete diet eating dinner only but one who eats breakfast only meaning skipping lunch and dinner even after training at night.When i asked her, she just said she is not hungry.

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Blood sugar levels

There may be some health benefits to moderate calorie restriction, but the jury is still out on that one. Severe caloric restriction is undoubtedly very unhealthy.

One meal a day is also extremely unhealthy, particularly if continued for an extended period of time. Three to five small meals is much better than 1 or 2 large ones. It is primarily a matter of blood sugar levels.

With a single meal, the blood sugar level will be fairly high following that meal. However, for much of the rest of the day, the levels will drop as calories are burned. This can very well leave the body in a hypoglycemic state -- [SIZE=-1]if the blood sugar level falls too low, energy supply to all tissues, particularly the brain, is impaired. [/SIZE]

This results in a whole host of symptoms - the brain symptoms include difficulty thinking clearly, feeling spaced out and dizzy, poor word finding ability, foggy brain and sometimes even blurred vision.[SIZE=-1] If the blood sugar level is allowed to remain low, headaches, weakness, and even heart palpitations can occur.

It cannot be stressed enough that this type of practice is detrimental to both the brain & the heart.
    [/SIZE]

6. vivian kon

vivian kon Regular Member

students
    jas1121

uhr.. tht "princess wit super precious hand" is not diet-ing. she is jus not hungry. get her? and i noe a guy who really have to sleep enuf and eat enuf b4 going training,uhr.. thts kinda normal. anti social.. :p

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

It's interesting how for some people, good diet can really improve performance. But, for others, it doesn't really matter too much how much food is eaten - they might play pretty well regardless of what kind of crap food they eat.

I believe it has been shown that people on calorie-restricted diets live longer. However, the issue that comes up is quality of life. Is it really better to live an extra few years at the expense of being able to live what years you have well?

As for the blood sugar level thing -> you might want to look into low-carb diets (they're actually quite fascinating in terms of their effects on metabolism). Essentially, if you get used to eating low-carb (takes about two weeks), then your body's use of sugar for energy will down-regulate and your use of fats will up-regulate.

So... without tons of insulin release (which lowers blood sugar) all the time, blood sugar will go up and reach a steady state throughout the day. You end up feeling much steadier in terms of energy all day.

8. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

I disagree with the whole idea of them being thin is bad. Unless you are sure they skip those meals then I guess that is bad. I am a multi sport athlete, and in the best shape I will probly ever be in at 6 feet and a bit, and 150 pounds. I look like a twig but i'm defined and all after years of staying in shape, its possibly these girls are the same.

9. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i think being smart sometimes does not mean being able to react with common sense. there's professionals that do things you might not think they do. like doctors doing drugs, smoking eccessively and drinking too much. like lawyers in abusive relationship but still stay with their abusive partners. these are people who knew the consequences but still do what they do. why? because sometimes emotion rules out the brain.