Racquet Recommendations

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Don, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Don

Don Regular Member

Is it not peculiar that whenever someone asks for a racquet recommendation and s/he says she is a control and power player, the first few racquet recommendations are of high range racquets. You may see the odd low range, but it always seems to be of Ti-10, MP100, etc...

I personally do not endorse people into buying a Ti-10 anymore, it will not make you a Peter Gade nor will it enhance your game ten folds. Most expensive or top of the line does not always mean best for you!

Kelvin's questionaire is quite applicable to whomever is choosing a new racquet. For beginners, I do believe it's best you go see someone in person at the pro shop or the club that would probably help you make a more accurate choice as oppose to someone giving you advice. For the ambiguos description of "power player" or "powerful smash", this doesn't really hold too well with me and giving racquet advice would just be unsound.

I am sure that all you season vets like myself know that it's the person that wins the games, not the racquet! It's all about technique and strength.

I'm tired and I have an exam in 7 hours, I'm going to be.

-Don

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Don is right on. it is the person that counts most, all the racket can do is to bring out what you are capable of.

i have seen players who can smash like a hammer with a 4U racket, and i have seen players who can't even hit with a Ti-10.

one thing that i'd like to say is, the matching of player's style and technique with the racket is important. a racket may suit you, but not me.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Don, good luck with your exam.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Glad someone reads those little replies I write. :D
    And you guys are right. what works for someone else, will not necessarily work for me... that's why I find that those questions people ask about "help me find a new racquet"
    that just sounds like they have too much money to burn.

Best of luck on your exam Don.

Kwun... wanna hook me up with a new video card??? :)
    -Kelvin
    PS: nice to see you back.

5. shalom

shalom Guest

I am glad someone finally said it. so tired of all these kids talking about their new rackets, constantly looking for someone who might be travelling to HK and taiwan to bring back the latest equipment hype. and their gear...full matching warm suits and the racket bag the size of my car. the embarassing thing is they dont realize how ridiculous they look. i have seen it at community centers, at clubs and tournaments. i walk around the courts in my bermuda shorts, and pack everything in a Safeway bag. should see their stupid faces when they get their arses wiped by a guy playing with a sixty dollar racket. ha ha

6. Benson

Benson Guest

Yes, the famous blue collar badminton player. :) Just kidding. :) But you don't have to look like a bum? :) It's ok to own some decent racquets. But matching warm up suits is way over board.....

7. shalom

shalom Guest

referring to my post above i meant to say 'whipped' not wiped, in case of any confusion about my hobbies. he he

8. Rubbish! Ti-10 or MP100 is Best!

Nonsense, Don. When someone posts a message that says "I am a beginner looking for a new racquet - any suggestions under $60?" the correct answer is always "Ti-10!" or "Pros use MP100!! You buy MP100, you become PRO!!" Same with questions seeking a head light racquet for a touch player; a good racquet to use for a defensive doubles player; an older player suffering from arthritis; a family looking for a equipment for a backyard badminton set; a source for purchasing the latest 70g Karakal; the tastiest sports drink or energy bar; the best hamstring stretches; the perfect response when your significant other says "I love you" for the first time .....

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Re: Rubbish! Ti-10 or MP100 is Best!

Oops. My newly acquired MP77 created a new alter ego for me that took over my computer for a second.... I'm blaming those corporate marketing types at Yonex. ;)

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed

Interestingly enough, just last night I was talking to a couple of friends, both having just bought themselves the 77. One of them was trying to trade another player for an older ISO250, and the other fellow left it in his bag in favor of using his Victor.

When I asked the first why he was trying to trade it, he said the balance did not feel right with the racquet and he felt it was too heavy. The other fellow bought his because his friend (the first guy) bought one, but after playing with it for a while he also didn't really like the racquet. So go figure.

I played with a 77 a while ago and was raquet I could take or leave. It didn't leave me with any lasting impression. I also did try the Ti10. Except for the price tag, that racquet did leave a very nice impression with me. That would be a racquet I would buy.

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

jeez... i was going to say... "easy there cowboy!"