peter gade's hold and flick deception?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Azianhero, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

i kinda get how he does it but does anyone know how he made it look so deceptive? :confused::confused::confused:
    i've been trying to do it and i dont think im doing it right. Is there steps to do it or any correct positioning to this shot? btw if u don't know how it looks like Heres the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0X-sdwgXz4

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Well, unfortunately, it's highly complicated. There are a few key elements:

1. Efficient footwork to get to the bird early enough to catch it high.
    2. A powerful flick with minimal to no backswing.
    3. An accurate net shot that looks identical to your flick which is good enough to make your opponent want to run for it.
    4. Skilled observation of the other player's direction of movement.

Once you've mastered these four, putting them together should come naturally. Of course, it takes years and years of practice to master them...

3. calvin91

calvin91 Regular Member

fghgh
    what exactly did he do? its hard to see

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

gade stepped up to the net to take the sato's shot.
    instead of taking the shot immediately, he delayed his stroke, and sato anticipated gade in doing a net reply.
    as sato begins to move forward, gade rolls his fingers, and pushes the shuttle past the wrong footed sato.

5. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

I was trying this shot tonight and I did it once by fluke, complete fluke, but on my forehand. I want to know how to do the other deceptive net shot thats like uhh. The youtube for it is here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0iCv4AdrdA&NR=1

6. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

that shot was a LITTLE BIT harder..:p:D

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah it's pretty hard to see exactly what he's doing in the video. But you can kind of use your imagination a bit to fill in the parts you can't really see :p. I think the other posts in this thread explained it quite well.

I noticed (if I remember correctly) he used this shot a loooot in his MO2007 final match against BCL (not exactly the same shot of course). Ever since I watched that match I'm been practicing that shot. I've got to the point where I can occasionally slightly wrong-foot the opponent. It's a lot of fun actually :D.

I think Shoji Sato anticipates things a bit early. He always looks kind of nervy when I see him in videos. He doesn't seem to pace himself too well. I think that really helped Peter pull off that shot.

8. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

While Gade's execution of the shot is obviously very good, the principle behind it should be ingrained at an early stage into anyone who takes singles seriously.

This is one of the key differences between singles and doubles. I was taught by a very astute student of the game that in doubles one attempts to take the shuttle as early as possible whereas in singles one tries to take the shuttle as late as possible.

Figuring out the situations in which the above applies is part of the fun of playing :)

Wayne Young

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

great shot, but the fundementals are "rather easy"...

you get there early, put your racket out way in front and don't make a backswing.

it's the sudden accelaration/deccelaration of his rackethead that's mindboggling to the human brain...

I'd say kiwiplayer is right, for the doubles part (though deception is still handy, in a different way). but for singles you should not always 'take it as late as possible'...
    you should sometimes take it later than usual, but without losing an attacking angle, and always keep your racket otu in front of you (ie, do nót just let a dropshot fall all the way to the floor, and then hit it. the holding is very subtle...)

this is one of the shots you really should practise:
    play at halfcourt. the practisers stand only at the net and play netshots and lift. the runner just returns short. and deceive away:p:D

EDIT: this one is the real moneyshot, if you ask me... the netshot's easier (as in: even I can pull it off :p)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPX4b4I2scw&mode=related&search=
    just watch the sudden explosive movement, followed by a sudden, flowing 'stop' (ánd crosscourt ;0 )

#9 jerby, Apr 11, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  10. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

It's was relayed to me as an exaggeration to illustrate a point. But you get the idea.

Wayne Young

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah, it's clear. But pretty though to do, especially footwork wise (always be there early..)

12. FitnessFreak

FitnessFreak Regular Member

lol my friend and i were practicing trick shots last week for an hour(we play for about 5 when we play badminton) and i can do that shot about 50% of my attempts now :D

13. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I can do this shot, but I tend to set up slightly differently as I keep my arm further in front on me and roll my wrist under it ( so i have the option to drop it0

The key is being able to hold you shot long enough that your body implies a different placement, then have the wrist snap to go the other way.

You can also do it forehand, but I find it hurts like hell on the elbow and half the time I rim it onto the court two over. :D

14. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    the shot itself is not extremely difficult. with just a little bit of practice, many should get the basic stroke down. the hard part is holding the shuttle for as long as possible and at the same time selling the act that you're going to go for the net shot.

#14 jgao_net, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  15. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

So does he actullay like stop the shuttle on his racquet or what? thats the thing I can't understand about it

16. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    It's not quite the same shot, but Lee Jae Bok has a demo of a similar deception. It is actually a double deception at the net -- he has the racket high at the net so that he could, if he wanted, play a straight net drop. He then drops the racket as if to clear. Finally, he suddenly changes the angle of his racket to play a crosscourt hairpin drop.

Lee shows the action fairly slowly to make it easy to see what he does at the end of the short video clip. This is one of 3 free instruction videos on his IBBS web site. Altho' the Deception video is free, you need to register to see this one (as well as a short preview video on the smash). Hopefully, this vid might give you some clues as to how Peter Gade performs the 2 deception shots mentioned in the posts above.

www.IBBS.tv/IBBS/home/freevideos.aspx

17. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Sato has a reputation as being one of the fastest players out there right? A general strategy for playing against fast players like that is to do a bit of deception, because the faster they move, the harder it is to change direction!

This isn't to say that being fast is a bad thing... it just means that if you're fast, keep that speed in reserve. Speed is important for any good badminton player, but the knowledge of when to apply what speed you have is even more important.