Difference between Super Carbon and Graphite

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Ph0sHo2o9, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Ph0sHo2o9

Ph0sHo2o9 Regular Member

What is the difference between Super carbon and modulus graphite?

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

tricky question,

from what I understand all modern day rackets are made from graphite/carbon graphite (terminology isn't crystal clear to me) with some additives that different from brand to brand ( think 'nano' stuff from yonex/wilson, Kevlar from babolat, elastic-ti from yonex or fibreglass (woven) from Sotx)

now carbon itself (series of C molecules) is very brittle, and only strong in one direction (think of the inners of your pencil, easy to break, but very sturdy when pointed straight down) and that's why it's layered, to make Carbong-graphite.
    It's much like baskets are weaved, under a certain angle to create various layers of those "nets" (http://www.worldofmolecules.com/materials/graphite.htm)

the modulus of graphite is determend by how small those 'nets' are (like weaving a basket of of thick, or thinner stuff) and it is said/claimed that a higher modulus graphite in a racket offers more control, more feel, more durability more resilience (bounce/power)...
    and that's what 'super carbon' or 'ultra high modulus graphite' is all about...

even though is more expensive...

* PS: I'll save you the explanation on how the 'sheets' are layered:p..hjeard a story from a Pro told by the yonex distributor here:D*