cheap strings for practice

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by riceman101, Apr 12, 2007.

1. riceman101

riceman101 Regular Member

Hello All
    Im soon going to get my hands on an alpha shuttle express to string my own rackets and I have a feel questions to ask the wisemen on BC. (I searched, but to no avail. Unless my searching skills are like my badminton skills, poor. :D)

Im going to be practicing on junk rackets to get feel for things. My question for you guys is, where can I obtain cheap strings, like the ones you see on recreational rackets, the thick white ones.
    Also what tension should I start with? These rackets are the aluminum frame kind.

Also, anyone recommend against using string tubing instead of grommets and where to get the tubing as well.

Any reply, (non sarcastic ones) would be greatly appreciated.:p

2. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

hiaqua strings from mybadminton store. 500m roll for less then 50 shipped. forgot the exact price but for playability check dink's string review

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    However, I doubt he needs 500m to practice. If they offer single packs, get 3-5 packs should be good enough. ;) Practice with low tension on cheap rackets, and you can always re use the string for practice. ;)

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Another alternate is to visit the local badminton shop, and pick up whatever the cheapest for you. Overall, you just use the string to practice, instead of really use it. So, whatever the cheapest, is the one to go.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I have some demo string I can sell it to you. They are 2 packs of Gamma Pro 21 (21 gauge). $1 each + $0.70 for shipping. PM me if you are interested.

6. riceman101

riceman101 Regular Member

Thanks for the reply folks.
    Are those strings similar to the ones you find on factory strung rackets? Im asking this in case I ever offer my services to rec centers.
    Any comments on the string tubbing?

Thanks again folks.
    Silent heart, you have a PM :)

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In north america, I believe the majority of the cost is going to the labor charge, rather than the string itself. Therefore, if you do receive orders, I suggest to get bulk order of BG65. Cheaper alternate (i.e. HQ696) seems saves some, but at the end, the customer won't notice too much difference (i.e. price of $18 compare to $20).

Never to metion HQ696 was reported to have bad durability under high tension, therefore, in a long run of profit and reputation, stay with BG65. ;)

8. snoopy

snoopy Regular Member

9. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

If you want some for practice, I have the hiqua 500m strings (white), I can give you ~50m for free (just arrange to pick up from me). If you want the entire pack, I can sell you for 30$cdn, though I've used up probably 50m, so only 450m left. I've never tried these strings myself, but got good reviews from the couples of people I strung for using this string. I'd say this string is waaaaaay better than factory strings in terms of performance. However, in terms of durability, I'd say it's quite fragile.

10. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

I'm about to start stringing my own racquets and to practice I was going to use strings from existing racquets. If the string hadn't already broken, I would just cut it near the knots. The resulting string wouldn't be long enough to do the last main or cross but certainly long enough for me to practice with. :D