Chen’s comeback bad for China, says coach Yongbo

Discussion in 'Asian Continental Championships 2007' started by Dimplex, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Dimplex

Dimplex Regular Member

student
    hey guys i recently read this from thestar:

Chen’s comeback bad for China, says coach Yongbo
    BEIJING: China badminton coach Li Yongbo said Chen Hong’s comeback to competition after retiring for only two months was not good for the national team.
    World No.5 Chen Hong, who quit the national team after being omitted from the talent-rich squad for last December’s Asian Games, returned to action this week as a free player at the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in Malaysia.
    Chen Hong, competing as a free agent outside the national team – paying his own tour expenses but keeping all of his winnings – was “absolutely not a good thing for the national team”, Yongbo told yesterday’s Beijing Youth Daily.
    “When Chen Hong first brought up his retirement, he was still a top player, and it wasn’t the case that he had no chance of competing at next year’s Olympics,” Yongbo said.
    The coaching staff had worked hard to keep him, Yongbo said, but Chen Hong had insisted.
    “In the end, we approved his retirement out of respect for his wishes. But now he is playing under his own name. As far as we’re concerned, this is, of course, not a good thing.
    Chen Hong, who recently secured a sponsorship with a Chinese clothing company, yesterday broke through to the semi-finals at the on-going ABC meet in Johor Baru.
    He beat Japan’s Yousuke Nakanishi 21-15, 12-21, 21-16.
    China’s paternal sport administrations take a dim view of athletes perceived to have shunned national team goals in the pursuit of personal gain.
    Last month, Olympic diving champion Tian Liang retired after being banished from the national team for several years for taking part in too many commercial activities. – Reuters

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Personally I believe Chen Hong has the right to play as an individual 'enterprise', but maybe thats because I come from a democratic country...not a communist one like China where it isnt exactly good to place yourself before the common goals of the team. As a badminton fan I really couldn't care less about the politics involved with national sports bodies, as long as skilled players such as Chen continue playing im happy:p

What is everyone elses view this matter?

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm not suprised by his move... years ago he did told me about moving out from Team China.. but i didnt expect him to retire and come out from retirement so fast.. anyway its good for him.

3. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    Good for Chen Hong for being an individual in communist China! *applauds*

4. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Any Chinese Coach with CH?

Does anyone know if he is accompanied by any chinese coach now? Or is he alone during tournaments?

thanks!

BTW. I fully support his decision to play on his own. True that China Badminton made him like he is today. But eventually young players will emerge and there will be no more spot for him. When that time comes he can decide to play on his own. I think China Badminton should accept this fact of life too.

#4 fabcargo, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    When people (including everyone here) claimed Chen Hong's retire. I did point out he would continue to play (for Taiwan perhaps). I didn't know him personally, and I didn't have any evidence that time. But I knew he would not retire definitely just by feeling the words he said before.

This time, Chen Hong flight to Malaysia with nobody but himself. This approves again that coaching is not that important. Even the training is not that important either. I still think he will go to Taiwan sooner or later. There is not much space for personal development in China. Good luck to him.

LYB also said, Chen Hong will phase out quickly just by himself. He must have trained himself in his backyard with his father. Once he goes to Taiwan, he can be both a player and a coach. at least he can play with another professional player, his wife, (cannot remember her name).

6. kktan

kktan Regular Member

wah.. now i know. China BA so "kia su" one.

support chen hong. hope !!! i dun see any reason it is no good as per yong bo. one has to "take care" of one self.

7. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    i can kind of understand why LYB would be a bit upset. China put a lot of money and time to produce a player like CH. i can guarantee that China is expecting money back from him, not only for the effort that had to provide but also to keep their training regime going.

also, LYB could fear that this could set a bad example for other players (especially younger ones) who are just starting out on the national team.

8. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    No man, LYB only thinks for himself. He is afraid of the rumours that the prize money is not good for China players with CH playing as a free-agent now. He keep saying it isnt a good thing for the national team is all because of his own dignity and reputation. Who cares as long as CH is enjoying although the winning(s) all goes to him alone, sounds bad :rolleyes:

9. kktan

kktan Regular Member

LYB small gas... in lay man term?

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Is Chen Hong still representing China in tournaments? I understand he has secured a local sponsorship but does it mean he could play in 2008 Olympics if he qualified?

Yeah, I can understand why LYB is upset about Chen Hong, but I dun like LYB either. He has shown no respects to spectators (who bought tickets to watch all-china players final in few tournaments) and the great badminton itself. Shame to U, LYB.

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I would give Chen Hong PR so that he can play for a new country. He is worth it even if it is for a couple of years of play.

12. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Yes, only a few players in the world can beat Chen Hong. At LCW's current form, I doubt he can beat CH.

13. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

Even though i'm chinese, i would say that some of their rules and ideologies are like joke... I mean, if Chen Hong's intention is to really qualify for the olympics, china just can't take away a portion of his tourney winnings (like the one they're doing with Yao Ming) because CH needs it to compete and to register in top tournaments... I also can't see the reason why LYB won't allow CH to train by himself... I mean, if CH will represent China afterall, and let's say win the olympics, China didn't spend any money for Chen Hong's training... It's like double bonus... getting a gold and not spending any money...

14. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Less match fixing

15. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    i support chen hong...omho maybe the reason why LYB's not happy with it b'cuz it might give some ideas to the other players(specially the younger generation like what jgao_net said) that "hmmm....i could play for myself and ill keep all the winnings"....just a thought

16. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

yeah, that could be a reason... but let's remember that if you're in a "single enterprise," the national team will not handle your expenses... And more or less, you will be spending your winnings in plane tickets, hotels and tourney registrations... in CH's case, i don't think that Victor is fully sponsoring him... afterall, yonex sponsored players are fully sponsored either...

17. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    maybe after all the years hes been playing and winning hes already saved some for these kinds of situation. even if victor's not fully sponsoring him, a little goes a long way.

18. kktan

kktan Regular Member

u think is he apply for pR here.. will malaysia govt approve?? i doubt so...:)

19. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    it might not be good to Team China as a whole, having someone lie to them, after all, in a team, it should be one for all and all for one. to just quit then turn against someone must've taken everyone by surprise, i can understand LYB's concern but in the end, it's CH's choice, i just think he should've though about what his actions would do to his impression within the chinese team.

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You are right on.