quick question

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by drifterXL, Apr 14, 2007.

1. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

well, it took me long enough to find out why i wasnt making as much power as i should have with my MP99. seems the string has lost tension to the point where its below 20lbs. i kinda suspected something was wrong, when i could do full court clears with my cab8200 more easily. i know this also cuz tonight i compared it to my cab strung at 20lbs with BG70, and it still feels as stiff as the first day i brought it home.

so i remembered my friend is offering to string badminton rackets. now hes no noob, cuz he strings his NS9K type X on his own, at 23lbs. he hasnt strung it once or twice.. he's string it several times. he uses a drop-weight machine. i know stringing a NS9K is harder than a conventional string pattern, cuz of the extra grommet holes. i have played with his 9K, and looked at the stringing close up. its pretty good, and he does get the tension right. hitting ur hand with 23lb string actually hurts :/

so i called him and he said he has ashaway micropower. i thought great.. always wanted to try that string. i think before he's strung his other rackets himself.. which include a SOTX Woven 5A and an Iso Swing power SX. so should i?

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

ya i think you should... but if anything goes wrong will he compensate?
    btw, losing tension actually means more power doesnt it? because it is more elastic... so how can you lose power when the tension drops?

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

errr...stringing a ns9 isn't thát hard...but heck, at 20-22lbs there's not much he can do wrong, I think...

and lower tension isn't automatically more power...I don't get more power from 22lbs than from 24lbs and I don't start losing power until it's above 25 or so... it's a personal thing, and not a linear connection.

4. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

eh so i guess its fine then.

i just played today, and came back 5 minutes ago. its funny, some days i can generate more pwr with my cab, other days (like today) my MP99. think cuz i got more rest in between plays, so my arm wasnt as tired as when i play for an hour straight. i think im gonna ask him for 22lbs.. not 23. wanna get used to a higher tension.

and again, he strings his NS9K at 23lbs