England hire Kim Her to chart doubles players’ fortunes

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ixory, Apr 15, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Monday April 16, 2007

England hire Kim Her to chart doubles players’ fortunes

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia’s Tan Kim Her received another boost to his coaching career when he was hired by the Badminton Association of England (BAE) to handle their national men’s doubles players.
    Kim Her said yesterday that he had been given a two-year contract and would begin work on May 1.
    It will be the second overseas stint for Kim Her after taking up the job with South Korea in 2005. He was the doubles coach of the Malaysian back-up squad for six years before venturing overseas.
    “I have learnt a lot in South Korea. A few of their juniors made the breakthrough in the international scene (among them Lee Yong-dae and Hwang Ji-man) and that gave me great satisfaction,” said Kim Her.
    “I decided to join the BAE during the All-England last month and the Korean BA have accepted my decision. I am grateful to South Korea for having given me the opportunity to be their coach.”
    In his two-year stint with the Korean players, Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung emerged as the Korean Open champions while Lee Jae-jin-Ji-man won the German Open.
    “It will be a great task trying to bring up the juniors to make a similar breakthrough in England. But I am looking forward to the challenges. Coaching in Europe will be a new dimension for me,” he said.
    “I saw several English juniors in action when they competed in the German Open junior tournament last month. It will take some time but I have big plans for them.”
    England’s top men’s doubles pair are world No 7 Anthony Clark-Robert Blair, who were the runners-up in the World Championships in Madrid last year.
    Besides coaching the men’s doubles, Kim Her has also been tasked to help out in the mixed doubles department.
    Kim Her chose not to disclose exactly how much he would be paid by the BAE but said that it was more than the US$5,000 a month he received from the Korean BA.
    On top of that, he has also secured sports equipment company Protech as his sponsor for the next two years.
    “The deal is certainly better. And this time, my family will move in with me,” said Kim Her. “My immediate task is to get to know the English players better and analyse their game. Hopefully, I will be able to stay on until the 2012 Olympic Games in London.”

2. valen

valen Regular Member

US$5000 a month? Wow...And who says playing sports cannot ensure livelihood?

3. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    no matter what field u are doing, if you're good, you always get good income

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that's not a lot considering the cost of living in korea.
    it's even more expensive in the uk!

5. kktan

kktan Regular Member

5k in uk. it is not alot i tell you.

i think the accomodation is provided for him and his family. with his family over i doubt there's any much left at teh end of day for the piggy bank.

but seriuosly.. 5k is not really a lot. maybe enuff to stay afloat for a family at the end of the day.

6. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    if accomodation, laundry etc is provided I think USD5000 is quite a lot after u save it and covert to MYR

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ah, you see, you can't really convert it.
    otherwise those of us living overseas can be considered to be making a lot, but it's not true.
    besides, how do you know accomodation is provided?
    also, kktan is right, to support a family you need much more than if you're single.

8. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I don't believe anyone in north america has ambitions of making 5 grand a month. If someone is driven by money or materials 5 grand is not much at all.

9. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia
    TKH is building up his resume, the bigger package will come later. So, it not about his current salary in UK. My opinion, TKH will be a big asset if BAM could hire him in the future. He brings in experience from coaching outside Malaysia. Who now do we have from the local coaches that have this resume ??? From his past comments, he has every intention to come back to Malaysia. What happenned to the negotiation with BAM???

10. kktan

kktan Regular Member

usafan is rite.

it is all abt building up his resume.. i am surprised why as to his relations with BAM<?

11. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    yeah teach all the outsiders package A.....and when he comes back to MAS, teach ours Package B that can beat players with Package A all the time. But doesnt that sound a bit selfish then?:D:D:D:D

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You are correct...5K is shoe string budget. In Calgary, Canada, an average family income is C$60K a year, therefore 5KUS a month = C$69K a year...for head coach that is not worth it considering the abuse from fans, hahaha! And UK cost of living is far higher than Canada, and do not forget about income tax which higher than MAS, therefore the take home pay is not 5K! Therefore, accomodation may have to be part of the package for TKH and his family to survive in UK.

13. kktan

kktan Regular Member

for him.. i hope it is net pay. that means after income tax. and accomodation and maybe school fees provided by the employer. otherwise.. better pack a lot of instant noodle from malaysia. or ramen from korea.

look at how much footballers earn in uk. of course it is unfair to be compared with football in uk.

14. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

15. kktan

kktan Regular Member

ya.. i agrree. i was once like you... oversea. until you;ve been there urself.. it is easier said than done. lots of intangible obsatcles.,.

16. BooYa

BooYa Regular Member

Wait a minute ...

he didn't say it's US$5K/month, right?
    he just said that the pay will be better than that ...

17. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia
    US5K and some pocket change :D :D :D