England hire Kim Her to chart doubles players’ fortunes

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ants, Apr 15, 2007.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    PETALING JAYA: Malaysia’s Tan Kim Her received another boost to his coaching career when he was hired by the Badminton Association of England (BAE) to handle their national men’s doubles players.

Kim Her said yesterday that he had been given a two-year contract and would begin work on May 1.

It will be the second overseas stint for Kim Her after taking up the job with South Korea in 2005. He was the doubles coach of the Malaysian back-up squad for six years before venturing overseas.

“I have learnt a lot in South Korea. A few of their juniors made the breakthrough in the international scene (among them Lee Yong-dae and Hwang Ji-man) and that gave me great satisfaction,” said Kim Her.

“I decided to join the BAE during the All-England last month and the Korean BA have accepted my decision. I am grateful to South Korea for having given me the opportunity to be their coach.”

In his two-year stint with the Korean players, Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung emerged as the Korean Open champions while Lee Jae-jin-Ji-man won the German Open.

“It will be a great task trying to bring up the juniors to make a similar breakthrough in England. But I am looking forward to the challenges. Coaching in Europe will be a new dimension for me,” he said.

“I saw several English juniors in action when they competed in the German Open junior tournament last month. It will take some time but I have big plans for them.”

England’s top men’s doubles pair are world No 7 Anthony Clark-Robert Blair, who were the runners-up in the World Championships in Madrid last year.

Besides coaching the men’s doubles, Kim Her has also been tasked to help out in the mixed doubles department.

Kim Her chose not to disclose exactly how much he would be paid by the BAE but said that it was more than the US$5,000 a month he received from the Korean BA.

On top of that, he has also secured sports equipment company Protech as his sponsor for the next two years.

“The deal is certainly better. And this time, my family will move in with me,” said Kim Her.

“My immediate task is to get to know the English players better and analyse their game. Hopefully, I will be able to stay on until the 2012 Olympic Games in London.”

2. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    TKH is a good couch though. he has taken the Koreans' MD and MX to a greater height. i believe he can do it again in England. he might not be a great player in Malaysia previously, but he is definately a great coach now.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm sure he has gained alot of experience in coaching overseas. For sure one day we will see him back in Msia.