No power in my shots.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Matt14500, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    As the title says, I have very little power in my shots. I'm 13, 5'2" and 95 pounds. My smashes are generally quite weak. My oppenants take advantage of this by hitting the shuttle as far back as possible knowing I won't be able to hit it far enough. I mostly play doubles and my partner has the same problem. We usually play front and back with me being in the front. Can anyone suggest an exercise that could improve my power? Thanks in advance. :)

If this is in the wrong forum I apologize.

2. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    You should probably work on your timing and technique so that you can get that "whip" sound that you usually hear when skilled people play. To do that, just get someone to constantly feed the birdie to you while you hit it. This will allow you to find the perfect striking area so that you can get a better shot as well as improve your overall technique. Also, I take an old birdie and hit it agianst the wall, this develops my shot strength to quite a large degree

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    are you using your forearm to play the shot or the straight swing? straight swing i mean by holding it pan handled and just swinging with your shoulder.

4. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Mind telling us what racket/string/string tension you're using?

5. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    I'm using a Yonex Carbonex 8400

Level: Beginner / Intermediate
    Type: Offensive
    Flex: Medium
    Head: Oval / Traditional
    Weight: 89-92gm(2U-)
    B.Pt: 7 (Head Heavy Balance)
    ===============
    Head: Graphite
    Shaft: Graphite
    Cover: Yonex Full Cover
    String: Pre-strung by the manufacturer with Yonex string

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    shouldn't be a problem. have you had coaching before? when did you start?

7. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    I started about 4 months ago but only started to play seriously for about 2-3 months. I'm a good defensive player. I can block smashes pretty well. I'm quite fast too so I can return most drop shots. My strength is my biggest issue.

My friend who is 12 years old, 5'0" and quite small is amazing at badminton. Apparently he's been playing for 4 years. He can hit the shuttle amazingly far with just a flick of the wrist. His smashes are amazing. They moved him up to play with the grade 10s and 11s. He's that good. Is it strength? Or technique?

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    a good smash is 60% technique, 30% strength and 10% racquet. i'm quite skinny, in fact, skinniest in my class, but i can hammer away quite well, better than people who can bench 4 times more than me :) it's really about pronation and suprination. there's a really good Coach Zhao Jianhua video somewhere, ask the others to dig it up for you, it is on youtube. find the one where he teaches a student how to point smash(with out any movement other than forearm rotation). that's the basic technique, after which, you can add body rotation etc. definately work on technique first, after that, work on strength.

at first, you may not get the desired speed. DON'T GET ANXIOUS. it takes time. relax and focus on hitting in with a crisp action.

9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    by the way, this is the perfect forum for your post :D

10. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Kinetic chain

This is a pretty good assessment of the smash. The power in a smash is much more about technique & timing than brute strength. Power can start with the legs, if possible. The next link would be body rotation -- first hip rotation, followed by torso (upper body) rotation.

The next link in the (kinetic) chain is shoulder rotation followed by pronation (forearm rotation). The wrist action is performed in conjunction with the pronation. Some ppl add another (optional) link after this -- finger power or squeezing the grip as the racket head is accelerated.

Altho' I presented the various links sequentially, there is quite a bit of overlap from one link to the next to tranfer the power (from the lower links to the latter links). Quite often, you will not have time to perform the lower links of the kinetic chain. You might have to start with a torso rotation (or partial body rotation) and sequence thru the rest of the chain from there.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you with technical details. Watch some videos or get some instruction, then this explanation should make more sense.

(Note: supination provides power for many backhand strokes. pronation provides power for forehand strokes such as the smash. however. in order to pronate your forearm for a forehand, you would usually supinate it on the setup or backswing phase)

11. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't get to play badminton at school today. :crying: The gym was closed.

12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    while all that is good, it might confuse people so they should learn about just pronating first, but also have them getting into the habit of doing all the above

13. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Do not forget about the elbow, and the importance of getting the power from it. It was like a night and day revelation to me. I could suddenly produce backcourt to backcourt clears without using any great amount of force. Try to make full use of all the joints in your arm.

And, don't expect to learn it in two weeks. It takes a long time to get a decent stroke, and even longer to get a really good stroke. Be patient and have fun :)

14. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    It's kind of dumb really, but I'm almost afraid to swing my racquet too hard because my hands sweat so much. I'm afraid it'll fly out of my hand.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Get a towel on the side to clean up ur hand in between rallies.

2. Get a good towel grip or overgrip to absorb the sweat.

16. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    The problem is that, without seeing this person execute a smash, it is very difficult to say how his technique might be flawed. He may very well already be using pronation and may have some other element lacking. There is not really enough details in his post to make make that determination -- we don't even know if he is using a panhandle grip or if he is using a more suitable smashing grip.

I realize that the my description might have overwhelmed him. If so, that should be an impetus to motivate him to ask more questions, seek instruction or watch some videos as I suggested at the conclusion of my post.

17. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    yup, agree. maybe we should ask kwun to sticky those Coach Zhao Jianhua vids, cos in one, it's got a perfect shot of pronation technique. it really helps ya learn.

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Besides proper technique, I think another important factor that's commonly overlooked is positioning. Many doubles players tend to focus on hitting the shuttle hard even when they're not in position. They should focused on optimal shuttle contact (most try to contact the shuttle directly on top of them when it should be slightly more front of them).

When you're in the right place at the right time, your shot will be so much stronger because you're hitting the shuttle in front of you while you're moving forward. Practice makes perfect form and perfect timing (theoratically speaking, of course):)!

19. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    good call. positioning is definately something which is important, and is something which melds into technique(good position leads to good contact).

20. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    I'm currently using a Yonex Super Grap overgrip. I hope it helps. I tried a towel grip, didn't like it at all.