why does China dominate the WS stage??

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by llpjlau, Apr 17, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

why does China seem to have uber dominance on the women's single's stage? there is little competition for them from countries like Denmark, Malaysia, Indonesia and England, if you may, who have rather respectable players in other divisions (MS, MD, WD, XD)
    there was once, so i've heard, a prominent player from Indonesia, the co-founder of Astec (i can't remember her name).
    but today, these other countries never seem to be winning world titles.
    why?

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

you mean susi susanti?
    there have been several top non-CHN WS players since susi though, camilla martin and mia audina immediately spring to mind but then in the last couple of years, the foreign talent has indeed dried up a bit.

3. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

yup, thats who i meant, susi susanti.
    china has talent in their younger squads as well, Lu Lan etc... while other countries are just falling behind.
    so if no one rises up in the near future, we can expect WS to be China all the way.

4. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Well one thing that I can think of is that, Success breeds Success. China had previous WS player that accomplished so much. Ye Zhaoying, Gong Zi Chow (don't know how to spell the name so I'm sorry if I'm wrong), so there forth they bring the up comers to be a great player. They can be great sparing partners, and coach as well.

Indonesia had Susi Susanti, but she complained about PBSI so I doubt it that she'll help them out. Mia Audina left. Korea had Bang So Hyunn but she left for the U. S.. Denamrk I have no idea why their WS is not up there with the Chinese.

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

and malaysia, they never had a strong WS player. very good point bad_fanatic

6. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    China hand picks people with good physique and attitude from a very early stage and then whether these people succeed is based on personal love and motivation for the sport. They are supported by an integrated training system. For 99% of other countries, personal love and motivation comes first but in many instances genetics just can't keep up (WMC for example).

So generally China produces high quality drones but can sometimes overlook pure genuises with perhaps unorthodox body types like Taufik or Mia Audina.

7. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    lack of equivalent sparring partner is one of the main factor.

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

bit like the aussies with swimming, oh and cricket, oh and rugby, oh and just sports in general!
    :D

9. bad_fanatic

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. What's so unorthodox about their body types? If you're talking about Audina's body figure, she used to be skinny when she was in Indonesia. Taufik is like the breed of men's single. What I mean by that is, his body type is slim and slender or quick agility. If you look back to the traditional Indonesian men's singles like Ardi Waranata, Hermawan Susanto, etc, they're more muscular built.

Sorry but I just don't get that part, can you explain it?

10. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    1. success breeds success as bad-fanatic mentioned.
    2. china head coach LYB had first hand experienced on losing team momentum in Mens Doubles without new blood when he was a player. with that experience, he strives on training and giving opportunities to young new players. one perfect example is the recent stradegy of dropping Chen Hong in MS team to give room for their young MS teammates.

11. bad_fanatic

I think that's very true. I think in the Chinese squad, if you don't perform then you're replaced. I think all the players has that kind of thinking which makes them player harder and youngster train even harder to get a shot at stardom.

Good Point!

12. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    If u look at chinese bad team few members are as as short as mia (JYJ, ZYW prolly). If you look at chinese mens players few are as short as Taufik (ZJ, GZD perhaps). I'm not saying Taufik's hight is a detriment to him just saying chinese team has a pretty strigent "ideal" standard.

13. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Pt 2 is true & Chn lost the TC eventually. CH was given ample opportunities prior to the emergence of LD, BCL & CJ. Chn during CH's reign as world no. 1 did not lift the TC. So it's only fair that the coach gives the younger ones opportunities. Even if they failed the 1st time, being young they will gain exposure.

As I have mentioned previously, no matter what decision the coach/management makes, there will always be discontentment somewhere. LYB probably does exert his influence but I don't think the decision in major tournaments are entirely his alone.

14. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

yes, imagine LD not given a chance when CH was in his prime.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You have been correct so far, except for GongZHiChao, the dimunitive 5'-1" legend who wons most of the top honours.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Title : Badminton: Top shuttlers say China's dominance unhealthy
    By :
    Date : 30 April 2007 2146 hrs (SST)
    URL : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sportsnews/view/273433/1/.html

SINGAPORE: China's dominance in badminton could be harmful for the sport in the long run.

This is the sentiment among some of the top shuttlers.

So they recommend narrowing the gap between China and the rest of the world.

To do this, they say other countries should focus on youth development and more Chinese shuttlers should play for other countries.

The big names in badminton are in Singapore for the Aviva Singapore Open.

It is part of the Super Series now offering a bigger purse of US$200,000, up from US$170,000 last year.

Chinese players currently dominate the world ranking, where the top four men and women shuttlers are all from China.

Some players say this could have a negative impact in terms of interest and following, especially for fans beyond China.

"We need other countries, we cannot only have China....Ladies Singles, Ladies Doubles, there's a big problem. We need to bring out young players. China has been very good at that. That is what other countries need to be better at doing," said Peter Gade of Denmark.

Gade, the defending men's champ of the Aviva Singapore Open, is one of those who is hoping to stop the Chinese onslaught.

Agreeing with him are some Chinese players like defending women's champion Pi Hong Yan who currently plays for France.

"It would be better....every country has good players....more interesting for people watching outside there (China). Maybe, if we see four Chinese players....in the semi-finals, less interesting," said Pi.

World No.1 Lin Dan, ranked top for the Aviva Singpore Open, agrees that exports like Pi would help to close the gap between China and the rest of the world.

Already, Lin Dan and the rest of the Chinese team will face stiff competition in Singapore this year, as the tournament is attracting the best players, including Taufik Hidayat, the darling of Indonesia badminton and a hit with Singapore fans.

The 25-year-old has won twice before in Singapore, and is the defending Olympic and Asian champ.

He hopes to clinch the Singapore Open title for a third time, but his priorities have changed recently.

He said that now that he is married, he is putting his family first and his career second.

This year, the field is also tougher as the Aviva Open tournament offers ranking points for the Olympics.

So, expect great action when the competition starts on 1 May at the Indoor Stadium. - CNA/ir

17. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

rather than complaining about china's dominance, these players should think of a way to beat the chinese players.

18. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    :) Because there's no way you can find second ZHANG NING!

19. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

look at how Zhang Ning destruct Xie Xingfang in the rubber set during singapore open. 21-3. China no.1 and no.2 fighting it out at Singapore Open. i'm entertained by their match. it was a great match.

20. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

how did she beat XXF 21-3 ??? i didnt watch the match, some details please? 21-3 !!