breaking strings while stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by evolution-Fung, Apr 17, 2007.

1. evolution-Fung

evolution-Fung Regular Member

Clothing
    ah tonight i was restringing my cab 30ms, cuz in practise today the main string snapped......i started the mains, and when i was abt 4 strings in i released the tension(i have a drop weight) and the string snapped o.0,:eek: ah where the fly clamp was clamping............then i was like @#$%^&, so i use the other half to start i was pretty much done and prepared to tie the first end, then im "suppose" to tie it at 6b, but the way the grommet faces and the string goes its hard to put the string through, i had forgotten i broke the tip of the pointy thing that u use to help stretch the grommet a little in those situations, and the tip was flat and had a sharp rim....then i poke it in the 6b wiggle it around to get it through, then SNAP.........i was like !@#$%^&* again, and yah my stringing machines on the ground now in a couple of pieces, and i thot i'd share with everyone on bc.....

2. evolution-Fung

Clothing
    yay glad to tell everyone i just broke the third set of string! i think somethings wrong with the fly clamps, cuz it broke their again.....

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Sounds like you used an.....AWL (pointy thing u described) to get your string through the grommet...The awl might have caused your 2nd breakage.

Things to check when your stringing:
    1) take note where the string is breaking
    -> your tensioner or machine have some sharp edges that are cutting your string
    2) check your grommets.. sharp edges may scrape and possibly snap the strings.
    3) check your clamps for sharp edges.

*tip* it is recommended by many forum members (Pete LSD) to use waxed tooth floss to thread strings through shared grommets.

Are you new to stringing or has this just recently happened?

Also, please state what type of machine you have and the tension you are trying to string your cab 30MS at.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    at least you haven't strung a racquet, with 1 piece string, string the entire racquet and right on the second last row of cross to tension, snap the string due to twisting & lazyness to uncoil it :crying:

edit: as mentioned by DH, check your grommets & clamps. Also be sure to work out those kinks in the string... also if you're using any ultra thin string like .66mm or thinner try to avoid pre-stretching/double & triple pulling... :p

#4 Kelvin, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  5. evolution-Fung

Clothing
    oh ive been stringing around a year now, wiht the klipper mate, drop weight. i string my racket at 24x26 according to the machine, but im not shure if it is probperly calibrated. this just happened today o.0 i strung the same racket, same machine, same string, same fly clamps and tension. it was fine, but today it snapped 3 times while stringing :eek: :crying: , i think it is due to sharp edge on the fly clamp as that is where the string snaped. the second one was prob cuz i was pokin at it with a sharp awl, third time was the sharp edge fly clamp again, i just finished it this time i was SUPER careful and took me an hour......now i need to go to sleep and wake up in 6 hours then go to city conference and play lol. gad im gonna be tired....and dont u hate breaking ur strings the day before cities?

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Are you using Klippermate's origional fly clamp? If so, get HiQua or Yonex clamps. The Klippermate clamp nick the string some time. Try not to use awl, use dental floss method if you need to get through the share grommet. I posted some picture before on how to use dental floss (not on your teeth).

7. evolution-Fung

Clothing
    oh okay ill look that up. how much are the hi qua/yonex ones?

8. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Michael @ http://www.maxsports.ca has them for $70 for 2 flying YY clamps.

William Chan in the states http://www.hiquasports.com has each HQ clamp for about $20USD

Or

Winston Chan (another HQ outlet in Hong Kong though), http://www.mybadmintonstore.com has the HQ clamps for about $20USD for each clamp as well... and Winston offers free shipping.

Mohamed of http://www.mjstrings.ca has HQ clamps for $30 Canadian.

Umm... there were more, but that's all i can think of off the top of my head... hope that helps with the clamps :)

edit: I used to use the gamma & eagnas flying clamps, but found that my strings slipped every so often (25lbs+) , so I ended up taking the recommendation of the veterans here, and have not been disappointed with HQ & YY flying clamps.

#8 Kelvin, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What about Alpha flying clamps? Are they okay for 30 + lbs?

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Oh yeah! Master Fish (156mphserve :D) didn't get back to us on that did he?

11. evolution-Fung

Clothing
    ah ic... thinkign bout the mybadmintonstore one....since its the cheapest XD, anyways um can u link the thread for the flossing instructions? lol.

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Did you do a search for "floss"? Here is how to keep your teeth clean.:D
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24862&page=4
    And needle is not needed.

13. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    It's coming... Pete requested it too but between badminton and school, I'm left exhausted and sleepy the rest of the time. Hoping to do it this weekend.