string tension/types

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by newbie, Nov 26, 2000.

1. newbie

newbie Guest

i just started trying out badminton and i find pretty cool. right now i am trying to find more info about strings.

1) what are the costs/benefits of having higher and lower string tensions?
    2) does it matter whether i string the cross strings the same tension as the main?
    3) what is the tension combination that a typical player uses?
    4) what types of string are there? and which type is best?
    5) what's a good brand for string?

2. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    In compare with some others in this forum, I'm really not an expert. However as I found nobody answer your question, so let me share something I know.

(1) I personally play with 24 lbs. When I play with less tension, I find lack of power during smash, however I can control the shuttle easier. When playing with too much tension, I simply find my racquet like a rock ! While I can still smash if I try harder, it is very difficult to control the shuttle precisely.

However for beginner, I would recommend 20 to 22 lbs.

(2) This is something I really don't care. The more important thing is : find a trustable shop and string your racquet there. Experienced stringers should know how to string best for a particular racquet (I believe the best string method is partially affected by the design of the racquet).

(3) If you don't specify, most shops (in HK) will string at ~20 lbs.

(4) & (5) Yonex is the most well known and popular brand for string - they offer many different models with different characteristics. My favorite is BG85, even though it is not durable (some people said that BG95 and BG75-Ti are better, but they are not available everywhere). For more information on Yonex's strings, you can visit Yonex's Web site. Another good brand I know is Gossen (but not available everywhere too). I've also tried the Carlton High Tension before (with Carlton racquet), it is also not too bad.

Remember, to find the best string (and tension) for yourself is definitely not an once off exercise - you probably need several attempts !