User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    This is a good point.

Rendra, is there a particular footwork movement -- lunging, pivoting, moving to the side, etc -- that appears to be the culprit? Most of us have assumed that you've rolling the ankle. Is that what is happening? Are your shoes or the floor where you play grabbing too much for pivoting or some other footwork maneuver?
    good questions...i usually get it when im moving to the side so what usually happens is i end up with the outer side of my foot slamming the floor. so it could be due to my foot grabbing the floor too much which could also mean that my footwork for that particular "move" just isn't good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as shoes are concerned...I have a pair of adidas stabil6 that i played with before and twisted my right ankle twice with it. i thought it was perhaps the "extra" thick soles on these shoes that maybe caused my ankles to twist so i now wear Ashaway Idaho's, which are not as "thick" as the adidas.the lesser padding does cause other strains but it solved my ankle-twisting problem for about a month...then it happened again this time with my weaker left ankle!
    i am not a such a beginner as i have played tennis and badminton almost all of my adult life.i used to be a very active sportsman when i was in high school playing rugby, soccer, basketball and tennis for my school, and playing badminton quite frequently as well.
    I am now 36 and have left active sports for quite some time (7 years) so maybe its the age as well that's catching up on me.
    I appreciate all the advise and will definitely take heed on all of them. At the same time, I am also looking for another pair of shoes that can assist me with my problem.
    i appreciate the advise from sportsdoc and will look into getting into something a little more intensive to help me with my ankles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to make sure that you point the toes of your racquet foot in the direction of the lunge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

left leg ankle twist... i'm assuming ur right handed. ur footwork is wrong or ur right leg is considerably stronger than ur left and faster so when you run, ur right outdo ur left and because ur left leg is slower when ur run side, ur left can react fast enuff and end up twisting it? just my theory. i twist my ankle in badminton when one leg moves faster than the other (sometimes that happens to me, i've only twisted it once and recently just strained it).

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think what is happening is that you 'remember' the movements you used to do but your body does not react in the same way. This discoordination leads to the injuries.

This is just common sense but the positioning sense of your foot needs training. Therefore, doing some repetitive routines just practising the correct movement and footwork sideways should help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes...u could be right. appreciate that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

generally the most important thing to remember, even before you may want to consider working on any proper footwork is, keep the toe pointed in the direction of where you're going. lunges, side stepping, anything. if you point your racquet foot toes in the direction you're going, theres no way you'll roll your ankle.

the next thing is, focus on slowing down so you can work on the correct foot work. slow, well paced, and disciplined footwork will prevent problems from coming up.

all the while, you should remember you have to strengthen the ankle after all these mishaps. if you don't, your ankle will be a real problem for you in the future.

one little exercise a coach of a friend has mentioned (friend has weak ankles too), is to stand on one foot a lot. when you're standing in line, rotate between legs. just stand on one foot and balance for a while, then switch.
    you can do this almost anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another great tip..thanks chickenpoodle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Make sure you are wearing a ankle guard
    2)Proper footwork ; Land properly
    3) Do search on google on "ankle sprain"
    There a few exercises you can do daily to strengthen your ankle
    4) RICE..remember it if you ever sprain your ankle
    5) If you are still frequently having sprain,check with a sport doctor regarding proper treatment to your injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sportsdoc
    You need to have a doctor (Sports Physician or Orthopaedic Surgeon) have a look at it to rule out Ankle Instability. You probably need to be on a rehabilitation program and get back your sense of balance and position. It can be as long as a 12 week program but light skills should not be a problem (depending on severity). Try taping your ankle before training. Ankle supports or braces may not provide you with sufficient flexibility for footwork.

Most of my athletes who have recurrent ankle instability have a routine given by the physiotherapist in their training to prevent recurrence.

You could read more in my blog at http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com.
    SportsDoc!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.I twisted my ankle AGAIN (!) last friday and this is the worst one yet. Lucky I went home right away, stopped by the nearest 7Eleven for a bag of ice, and quickly dipped my foot in a cold bucket.
    It has now been 6 days and its recovering quite nicely.
    My questions are:
    1.What kind of exercises can I do once the swelling and pain is gone?
    2.You mentioned "taping the ankles"...can you describe how I should tape it?
    3.I also suffer from Osgood Schlatter, where can I shop for braces & supports in Malaysia for my knee and ankles? I see a lot of prodcuts online but I am also wondering if we can actually buy them in shops,clinics,pharmacies or hospitals locally?
    4.I am financially-challenged but I can't imagine having to do away with sports like badminton totally so I would like to visit a sports doctor to discuss more about my knees and ankles as well as a physiotherapist. Can you provide with guestimates on the cost of the visits/consultation...

I have gone through your Blog quite thoroughly and appreciate all the information you provide in there. You are definitely a revolutionary doctor in Malaysia for using technology to share your expertise and insights. Thanks for your initiative and I hope your work doesn't go unnoticed. Bravo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are financially challenged, you should play a little lighter badminton instead of playing with the intensity that will get ur ankle sprained =P all jokes aside, you should learn how to "not sprain" ur ankle when u "sprain" ur ankle. part of it is mentality (unless u over twist ur ankle and fell over) otherwise, some slip ups are mostly in ur brain. i've sprained my ankle 3 times and i make a mental note on how i sprain. i learn that when i am about to sprain, i should just lean over like i'm stretching my ankle (like i said as long as itz not a very hard sudden sprain) and it will feel more like a shock than an actual sprain. i dunno how you actually sprain your ankle but the mentality part helps me a lot. ankle spraining are mostly shocks to the muscle of the ankle typically from sudden over stretching. if your muscles/nerves do not interpret it as overstretching, then there's less of a chance of getting an actual sprain (in my opinion anyway). oh yeah... tie those shoe laces so that you cannot insert or take out ur feet without having to untie the shoe lace for maximum potential of the shoe. ankle guard (soft kind) only helps a bit more but not much. the hard stiff kind really helps but will limit ur movement considerably.
    taping the ankles is usually done by people who knows first aid. itz like wrapping a bandage around ur leg. itz not advisable unless you actually sprain ur leg and are trying to get it supported. taping ur ankles is a more flexible and smaller form of having those big cast. if you are not experienced with it, there is a high change of over tightening or too loose of taping which does not help the leg in each case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to see Sportsdoc this morning and and left wishing I had seen him sooner. If I had gone to visit a proper sports doctor before re-starting my sports program, I would've saved myself a lot of pain and agony. But alas, all is not too late.
    A simple exercise demonstrated that I have unbalanced ankles. A few tugs, showed that my left ankle is actually kinda "loose". Now I will use my recovery time to not only rest but work on my weaknesses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2