Shoe shelf life span

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by fifteen luv, Apr 19, 2007.

1. fifteen luv

fifteen luv Regular Member

Hello everbody! Pls highlight me on this matter.
    I came across one shop which he intend to offer some badminton shoes. Since the pair I am wearing in still in good condition which may last me for about 8 to 9 months before I am buying another pair. But as the shop owner say this is an old model and he is selling at a discount price. I intend to buy it and keep it when my current pair wear out which I may not have the chance to buy at a discount price 9 months later. But I heard that if I buy now and keep it till 9 mths later the quality of the shoe will fade.
    Pls advise me.
    TQ

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

not if you keep it in good condition. the quality will not 'fade' if it's a good shoe. wearing a SHB100 everyday to play badminton, the quality is still there, it wont get better it wont get worse. yea sure the shoe will wear out after a while but the quality did not change.

3. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

but you'll want to remember that with use and wear, the shoe itself overall will get softer over time.... the quality of protection and support will degrade.

if you intend on buying a shoe and letting it sit in your room until you need it, that will be totally fine. i'm sure a handful of people have backup pairs of shoes. me included. :eek:

if you like it, and its a good deal, go ahead!

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    ROFL...
    What the..????:confused::confused::confused:

This is not food we're talking about here...
    No expiry date, right?
    Its not like a book you left on a shelf for 800,000 years, that has now crumbled to dust...

If you're not using the item, it is still brand new.

shoes at the store can sit in the warehouse for over 6months...
    I dont see them fading to dust.

I'm sure your shoes will be fine 9 months later.

Speaking of backups... I should get another pair lol (i usually change my footwear once every 6 months.)

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If it is store in extreme temp (to high or too low) the rubber sole will degrade over time. in very dry place will dry out the subber also. The lshelf ife of shoes depend on the storage condition. If store well, a pair of shoes shoule have more than 2 yr of shelf life. If you put it in the car trunk and leave it out in hot weather, the shelf life will be quite short (may be in weeks) I assume you are going to buy the shes and store it in your closet. It will be fine for a while unless the mouse eat it.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    LOL good point Master Heart, those mice can be very pesky :D

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Depend on the mouse. If it is Micky Mouse, it might have some strange effects.

8. ixiaohoui

ixiaohoui Regular Member

Student
    The EVA in the cushion tends to degrade over time. Storing the shoe for a couple months would be ok, but any more and I would rather buy a new one from the store. You can find a couple articles about this from running shoe sites.