Tennis stringing vs badminton stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ionoo, Apr 19, 2007.

1. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I've heard rackets breaking or cracking due to bad string jobs so I was wondering if tennis stringing is a lot different compared to badminton stringing? My cousin who will string my racket if i consent asked what tension do i want and i said 25 and he laughed because he strings his tennis rackets at 80+ or something. I know there is a big difference in durability and mass between a tennis racket and badminton racket so no need to explain why tennis rackets can handle higher tension. I wanted to go to San Gabriel to get my racket restrung but the proshop hours are like 9:30-12:30 so I can't make it. How big of a risk is it to allow my cousin to restring my racket? It is a sotx woven 8a and the string I'm planning to use is yonex bg80 since the websites I've looked at dont have the regular mp.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I would suggest bringing your racket to Master Dan for restring :D :D :D. And bring your cousin along to watch :D. He might learn something ;).

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    but warn your cousin not be startled by the sight of a panda stringer:p

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Tennis racquet strung at 80+lb? First time I heard of it. It is very different between stringing tennis and badminton racquet. If your cousin never strung badmint racquet before, get an old steel racquet and have him practice on it before letting hime experiment on your racquet.

5. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

thanks for the advice and sorry maybe i misheard it maybe its more or less

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

just some basic diference between stringing a badminton racquet vs tennis racquet.
    1) string patteren is very different between badminton and tennis racquet.
    2) general rule of thumb, add 2 extra lb (or 10%) tension to cross for badminton vs tennis use same tension for main or cross or 2 lb less for cross sometime.
    3) sting machine's clamps are different. often time the tennis stringing machine clamp will not hold badminton string.
    4) newer tennis racquet do not have share holes. badminton racquet still have share holes and may be difficult to get string through some time.
    5) becareful with the holding plates or mech. badminton racquets are fragile compare to tennis racquet.

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i play tennis.. 80lbs...? wow! standard 55 - 65lbs. 80lbs, like hitting the ball with concrete. major differences are stated by silentheart.