What got you into badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by brady6, Apr 20, 2007.

1. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

What made you first play badminton, what made you decide to become comptetitive too(if you are)?
    Simply curious to hear other peoples stories

2. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    I just started badminton about 3 months ago in school. It was part of our gym class so we were basically forced to play. I really liked it so I continued to play. I joined the school team and I'm still practicing with friends.

3. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

family =D

*msg

4. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    my mom bought me a set when i was 10. i start playing it with my neighbor's daughter. i got interested. then 2 yrs later the school created their first badminton team training program. initially intended to develop a strong school team when the players matured into seniors. i have almost never stop playing since then. 20 yrs have passed, i love my sport more than ever. it got me injured every where in my body, but i will not stop.
    i hope i can still play when i m 60 or 70 like my club members.

5. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    This girl I had a huge crush on in grade six loved badminton so I forced myself to learn and play with her lol. at the time, I thought badminton was a really stupid sport, but as I started to play more and more, I started to really like it and it wasn't all about the girl anymore :)

6. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

Well, my story would be a combination of family, pride, family pride, and then watching how good some of the proffesional players are.
    My dad has been a long time gym teacher at the highschool(retired a few years ago, before i got into high school) and he was a great athlete growing up in cold lake as a kid. Cold lake being a small comunity means everybody here who follows sports knows of my dad, played unvirsity baseball, and he got hurt, doctor reccomended badminton to get his shoulder stronger again, then he won an intramural championship at North Dakota. then he became a gym teacher here, tought a bunch of kids it who eventually won provincials, and growing up my older brothers going to so many competitions starterd, then my sisters, then me. Each family member got a medal at hte provincial level so I had to do the same, just to keep up. But I kind of lost a love for badminton and got disinterested, untill this super hot girl in grade 7 wanted me to go mixed doubles with her at a school tournament. Then I liked it all throughout grade 8 and 9, then started watching stuff on youtube due to this site, and wanted to be as good as them. Now I play it so often then my right hand is hard as a rock from all the blisters and calluses from playing so often.

7. Ricearonie

Ricearonie Regular Member

backyard badminton with the cousins :)

8. zach1234

zach1234 Regular Member

I started in the back yard, then went to the school team... since I played lots of sports i had decent athleticism and from playing lots of badminton in the yard, I developed some coordination. Anyways, a few years past and I improved at quite a fast rate as well meeting a few decentplayers and tagging along with them in training and such. Although my only intention was to just play at school... becuse of this, I felt really proud and really confident about my ability. So my season rolls along and I go undefeated (it was a pretty weak divison) and I went undefeated. Because of this, I got 2nd seed at the final tournament. I was then eliminated in semi-finals after running through the first few rounds. Anyways the way the tournament works, I still had a chance for 2nd by climbing up through the consolation brackets. That being said, I was tired and lost to somebody I was able to beat quite handidly (although I give him full credit for taking advantages of my weaknesses and my mistakes). This really angered me at first, but as the initial anger faded I started to reflect on it and realized that by acting confident (and somewhat cocky), and thinking of myself as a better player than I really was that I let not only myself down, but my teammates.

I used this as motivation to train to be the best badminton player I am able to be. I promised myself to always put a 100% effort in, and to take every step (good or bad) as a learning experience. I realized that all a negative outlook would do is hinder my progression. I then made good friends (by chance, through mountain biking) with one of the top ontario badminton u19 players and lucky for me, he enjoyed helping me. That plus some incredible coaching from Mandarin keeps me not only motivated to practice, but also helps me improve at a very fast rate.

It really paid off when I went back to my school, and helped coach the team through a very sucessful season (which is still going on). It allowed me to not only share what I learned badminton-speaking, but it also allowed me to share my experiences, mistakes and decisions with the players with hopes that they will take a different route than I did.

So in summary: What motivated me to get started was the idea of bouncing back from tough times, and fighting through even more tough times (aka non-stop losses from better players) with the goal of acheiving my highest potential.

Haha that came out kind of corny...

Zach

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

whoa, what is it like playing mixed doubles with a hot girl?

10. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

Winning an intense match in set.
    oh yes.
    to bad i wasnt old enough to get some.
    she like hugged me and **** after I smashed the final point

11. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Playing badminton at the park with my brother using steel rackets. Never thought I would actually pick this sport up seriuosly, but now I am.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    played in the school yard. and i was instantly hooked for life. it is not even funny, it has been an addiction for the next 20 years since.

13. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Umms...i played badminton when i was 9 with my next door neighbor in the street. I found it to be fun, then in high school i took up badminton because of a girl i liked. Haha...now i just keep playing even without the girl...haha

14. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

my mum made me go to a local club and then i really enjoyed so i joined the school team

15. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    umm to appeal to girls.

badminton was the least competetive sport (in my eyes in grade 9) and easiest sport to get best at (in my eyes in grade 9) so i was like: "#1 badminton! and appear cool!"

of course... i should hav took up basketball or an easier sport to achieve this... I am still mediocre and i'm in grade 12 OTL

16. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

unfortunately, thats what most people think, that badminton is all easy and stuff. good thing you are into the sport now.

17. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    That's true it isn't easy at all.

18. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I guess I really got hooked up with badminton during my grade 9 year which is now. I just loved the sport and it sure gave me a good workout. It's hard for me to explain but I have this feeling when I'm going badminton..it's hard to describe. I just wish people could take badminton a little seriously as in not by saying this is a stupid sport in their own eyes sigh*:D I hope I'll be playing badminton when I grow older =) Gotten some minor injuries but no biggy.

19. fanatic

fanatic Regular Member

i picked-up badminton by playing with my neighbour friends when i was 10 on the street in front of my house... using my dad's wooden racquet.

it was a competiton of strength... we will whack the shuttle as hard/high and as far as we can to each other. sometimes we will start on one end of the street and by the time we finish the so-called rally, we're on the other end of the street:D :D :D

whoever cant return the shuttle will lose and be laughed at... and of course with the wind factor becoming our ally or enemy sometimes :D :D :D

guess thats where i developed my lousy swing:crying:

#19 fanatic, Apr 21, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  20. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

I used to play tennis...then I fractured my arm (cycling down a slope and slipping).
    I was ordered by the doctor to take up a sport that strained my arm less...so badminton it was!