white vs. yellow synthetic shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by iso300, Jan 3, 2002.

1. iso300

iso300 Guest

Are there any difference between white and yellow synthetic shuttles?
    The ones I'm mainly referring to are the Yonex Mavis 300/350.
    Would the white ones be more durable than the yellows? Or vice-versa?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as far as i can tell, one is white, and the other is yellow...... :)

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    i've noticed some weight/feel diff with colored feather shuttles compared to their white counterparts but have not noticed any diff with the synthetic shuttles (of the same model). wouldn't expect any durability diff between white & yellow.

4. Bokchoi

Bokchoi Guest

I was talking to one of the badminton places that sell these 300/350 birdies and appearently the 350's fly better than the 300. They seem to straighten out faster upon impact with the racket. plus its more durable. With the white birdies i found to be slow so i tend to actually have to hit harder !! Well i'll let you know how the yellow 350's feel like i just bought them last week, haven't found a place yet to play in toronto. I'll try it out on the weekend and let you know !!

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I find the yellow easier to see in some gyms. In terms of durability between colors in the same model, although there technically shouldn't be considering that they should be made with similar materials, I have noticed that the white plastic tends to soften and shred much sooner than yellow ones. I am not sure why this should happen except speculating that the yellow dye (or whatever is used for the color) may have some affect on the plastic.

6. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    i would concur that the flight characteristics of the 350 is superior to the 300; the 350 seems a bit closer to the feel and aerodynamics of a feather shuttle. in the SF Bay area (& possibly all of California & the U.S) it appears to be the preferred alternative to feather shuttles for high school players and for college classes.

however, i have heard that the 300 is preferred by many club players in Canada. not sure why.

Badrad may very well be correct regarding the diff in durability of yellow vs white nylon shuttles. I hadn't really noticed this effect since I use feather more than plastic shuttles.

7. bokchoi

bokchoi Guest

I just finished playing with the Mavis 350 yellow birdie its great !! The only thing it only lasted two days ! Everything fell apart.... it flys much better than the yellow 300 but it dosen't last as long...and the 300 seem a bit lightter as well. I think clubs like it better because its cheaper and it last longer...

8. iso300

iso300 Guest

Thanks for the your comments!

2 days is much better than 2 hours haha
    Is the flight really different from the Mavis 300? I probably wouldn't be able to tell, but it should resemble a bit to a feather bird due to it cut.

Before you wrote your message, I had to buy the shuttles at the store (who was still holding its Boxing Day sale). :) Got 3 tubes of white and 3 tubes of yellow Mavis 350's.

bokchoi wrote:
    >
    > I just finished playing with the Mavis 350 yellow
    > birdie its great !! The only thing it only lasted two days !
    > Everything fell apart.... it flys much better than the yellow
    > 300 but it dosen't last as long...and the 300 seem a bit
    > lightter as well. I think clubs like it better because its
    > cheaper and it last longer...

9. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    to my mind the 300 is more of a constant velocity shuttle than the 350... it doesn't come off the racket as crisply as the 350 (which, in turn, doesn't come off as crisply as a feather shuttle) nor does it decelerate as quickly.

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I just played with a 350 today. Not bad, it does have a closer resemblance to feather shuttle flight. The 300 has a more linear trajectory. I noticed I can also impart more spin to the 350, probably due to the skirt design which has little wing tips.

The other players who also tried it complained a bit since they have predominantly played with 300 and never touched feather shuttles. So they were constantly having difficulty with distance. They voiced that they would stick with the 300, since they are used to playing with it.

Where I don't use feathers I will probably start playing with the 350. But this will really depend on where I play since some people might complain if I use the 350 on them.

The 350 also lasted longer than the 300 given the same intensity of play using both. If a 300 lasts me more than 3 or 4 games I am more than happy. The 350 managed to last for 6 games before it started to lose it's playability. Considering that the shuttle costs only 15% mores than the 300, its not bad in terms of cost saving.