Just getting into Badminton

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by dejecter, Apr 21, 2007.

1. dejecter

dejecter Regular Member

Student
    Hey I'm new here and stuff. I've been playing badminton in my PE class, and unlike the other kids, I'm taking a really liking to the sport. So after about a week of playing, I've decided that I want to play outside of PE.

So equipment wise, I have no clue what to get. I'm 15, not exactly skinny but I make up with that for my height (almost 6 feet), and I'm fairly manuverable for my size, if that helps any. I also don't want to spend more than $70, just incase it's just a quick infatuation.

Thanks in advance

2. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

First thing to do would probably be to see if you can try other people's rackets and get a feeling for what you like. from there it will probably help limit the options down. I definately agree with not spending too much on a first racket. head heavy/even/head light is down to personal taste, but usually more flexible rackets are more suitable for beginners rather than stiff rackets.

3. Legendarydoug

Legendarydoug Regular Member

slave
    When... until you discover what kind of traits you like; like head heavy or light, and yadayada. I would probably go with something basic like an MP-21 from yonex. or an armortec 150 for the larger sweetspot isometric style. Or a Carbonex from yonex which sticks to the regular ovals. unless you find a good deal with another make, you should overall stick to yonex. and watch out for fake stuff.

#3 Legendarydoug, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  4. dejecter

dejecter Regular Member

Student
    The only equipment I can access are half bent, school racquets, and I know nobody who plays :( What's the flexiblity scale for badminton? Is it the same they use for tennis rackets?

5. Legendarydoug

Legendarydoug Regular Member

slave
    no the scale is different. waay different. and right now since you're just starting out, don't buy anything that feels like a brick and you'll be fine basically.

6. dejecter

dejecter Regular Member

Student
    thanks man! Unfortunately, every racket I've used so far has a nasty deadlike feel to it:(

7. angel tech

angel tech Regular Member

Are you near any sports centres, pop in and see if there are any clubs playing there. If you find a club try to be there 15 minutes before their start and have a chat with the regular players.

8. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    I bought a Carbonex 8400 for $70 Canadian. I couldn't tell if you if it's a "good" racquet but I like it. It's pretty lightweight. You don't have to buy a Yonex as your first racquet. There are many cheaper alternatives that should be just as good. There are some Carlton racquets under $60 that I'm sure will serve you well for the time being.

9. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Get a moderately heavy racket, don't get the light rackets because you won't be able to get enough power with a light racket until you've developed your swing technique. A lower range carlton would be my recommendation.

10. dejecter

dejecter Regular Member

Student
    is the Yonex Carbonex 8600 any good for a beginner?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I think any well made all graphite rackets from a reputable manufacture (not necessarily yonex) is good enough for a beginner. In US market, I believe the budget around US$40-75 is way enough.