my rackets and their fates. how about you?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, Jan 4, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i just got bored with work, and i thought i'd list out all the rackets that i've ever used. so here they are, in approx chronological order:

• Yonex Blacken II - too long ago. disappeared after my family moved
    • Yonex Cab 18 - my first *real* racket. sold it to a friend back in secondary school and then his brother accidentally sat on it and broke it
    • Yonex Cab 21 - i have had 3 of these. broke one every term in school. no clash, just crumbled.
    • Yonex Cab 14 - bought it after i broke all my last Cab21. broke this on the first day on racket clash.
    • Yonex Cab 8dx - i bought it after all those racket breakage since this racket looked indestructable. i still have it. i lend it to beginners who doesn't have a racket.
    • Yonex Iso600 - i have two of these. i find them too stiff. one is in storage, the other one hangs on my cube wall at work.
    • Yonex Aerotus 77 - cracked at 7 o'clock. no clash, just crumbled.
    • Yonex Aerotus 110 - cracked at 10 o'clock.
    • Yonex Iso900 SR - showing signs of crack in the inner top frame. in permanent storage.
    • Yonex Iso900 SR - i have outgrown this racket, in storage.
    • Alpha dominator - cracked on clash
    • Winex Kevlar 999 - cracked on clash
    • Yonex Iso900 SS - the nicest racket. i had a friend brought one for me from Singapore. clashed and cracked it on the second day.
    • Yonex Muscle Power 100 - also brought in from singapore. rather nice racket, but i am using better ones.
    • Yonex Muscle Power 100 CP - very expensive. broke it. long story. please don't ask..
    • Carlton Airblade 2000 - just can't get used to such a different racket, normal length, light and traditional head. lending it to a friend.
    • Yonex Cab20 CN - also very nice racket. when i am used to it, it give great feel, control and power. however, i have problem switching between Iso and traditional head. i already have a buyer for it.
    • Yonex Ti-10 - very nice, heavy and powerful racket. only able to propel is when i am in a good strong day.
    • Yonex Iso900 SS CN - i have two of these. my current main racket. the best in terms of weight, balance and stiffness. very very nice.

i think that's it. the Ti-10, Iso900 SS and Cab20 are the rackets that travels with me in my racket bag these days.

that's 23 rackets that i've owned. ouch.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Here's my lists (as much as I can remember)

a) Yonex Blacken II - I had two of these. First one broke at the "T" for no reason. I was tapping the frame against my shoe while preparing to receive. Still have the other one with lots of chips

b) Cab 18 - dents and chips, in storage

c) Yonex Cab 20 original - I also had two of these. Stolen. Loved these racquets.

d) Yonex Cab 21 - Stolen along with the Cab 20.

e) Yonex ISO 600 - in storage with chips

I then started using Winex racquets over last summer and have stuck with them since.

f) Winex SQ 800 - Still using (for smashing game)

g) Winex Ti-9 - Main racquet

That's about it although I am thinking of replacing the Ti-9 with the Winex Ti-12 with its full Ti-mesh shaft.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I don't go back as far as you guys do in rackets, my 1st racket that i can remember was a Cab 8, before was some unknoun Pro-Kennex model...

Cab 8 Broke after shaft snapped.
    Cab 8 (2) Lost..... :(
    Cab 8 (3) Gave away.....
    Cab 8 (4) Still have, but slowly decaying, don't use it anymore.
    Winex Aerodynamic 200 Broke when stringing at 25lbs
    Winex T-3 Someone stole it!!
    Winex T-20 Still have, going good...
    Fleet Ti-99 Broke and thrown away....
    Ti-10 (1) Broke after just 5 days, due to my own careless mistake, don't ask!
    Ti-10 (2) Still using and going well!
    Ti-10 (3) Most don't know i have this 1, bought as a backup, unused.
    Victor Super Ti-5 Broke whilst stringing! sob!
    Slim-10 Still using and going well!!
    MP100 Still have but i seldom use it anymore.
    MP55 I love this racket!! Not broken yet.....

Not intending to buy any rackets. Maybe an MP80 when it hits SG but i doubt it, maybe another MP55 though.

Thats about as much as i can remember.....

4. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Yonex B650 sold
    Wilson Titanium Quad 95 (2U) - gave to my girlfriend
    Babolat Satelite Synchro (3U) - 2 pieces, my regular rackets
    RSL 3000/2P (4U) - offensive racket used when I'm in smashing mood

5. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Rackets!

First was a Silvers Pro 300 which i bought for 300Rs
    2) was a Cab 8
    3)Prokennex Victory
    4)Prokennex 787
    5)Carlton Powerflo Br I broke 3 of these
    6)Carlton Aerogear 700,900, 1000 and 2000
    7)Carlton Airblade 900, 2000(3 of them)
    8) Yonex Isometric 100
    9)Yonex Isometric 150 Light
    10)yonex Isometric 60light
    11)Yonex Ti 8
    12)yonex iso Power 200, 600(2)
    13)Yonex Iso 900Sr
    14)Yonex Ti 10
    15) Yonex Ti swing Power SS(still there)
    16)Yonex Slim 10(2 of these and buying another one from Byro!)

Want to Buy, Iso 900SS, T1 10 3U, Iso900Sr, Iso 600(4 of these), Forza something!

shall wait for Mp 77 when i have teh money!

6. cc

cc Guest

Re: Rackets!

aerotus 55 - my first racket. very nice balance. first one was stolen from the gym. second one broke after taking on the wall and lost.
    Forza morten frost special - stringer broke it. light whippy racket
    cab 15 long traded - alot of power, but wanted to keep all rackets the same length.
    for cab 22 - heavy as a rock, still trying to get use to it.
    Forza ti tech 500 - very flexible, light but head heavy, i like it for singles.
    another Forza morten frost sp

whats with the cabs, why are they so bloody heavy. i dont know what to do with the one i have - aside from not using it.

7. Phil

Phil Guest

Slazenger Panther Pro - I used this during the first couple months I started playing Badminton. I would say it was about 90 grams, and the shaft and frame were aluminum with an oval head.

Isometric 60 Light - My learning racket, you wouldn't believe how many clashes it went though and it still held up. About two months before the end of its life, I added some lead tape to it. It finally broke when someone I let borrow it hit their partner in the back of the head by accident, cracking the racket at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions.

Isometric 500 SS - I haven't played with it yet since my club is closed for the holidays, so the first time I'll get to play with it is at a tournament tomorrow.

Phil

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh. how can i forget, i have two more:

<li> Yonex Muscle Power 77 (3U) - this is a nice racket as well, but i find it a tad bit light
    <li> Yonex Cab 22 - similarly, i can't get used to the oval shape anymore.

that makes 25 rackets!

9. AF

AF Guest

Here is my list:

-Black Knight Lance, still have, steel & heavy, use for warming up the wrist
    -Yonex Carbonex 21 (1), broke during play, didn't realize till after the match
    -Yonex Widebody 30, the original Aerotus racquet, didn't like the hollow feel, sold to friend who had it break the first day i sold it to him, felt bad
    -Yonex Carbonex 20, hated this racquet, used a couple of times, traded it for a Pro Kennex 808, Yonex Carbonex 15, Racquet bag, 50 bucks...what a deal
    -Pro Kennex 808, sold, didn't even play with it
    -Yonex Carbonex 15, lent out and never got back
    -Yonex Carbonex 21 (2), gave to my friend's little bro and retired
    -Yonex Carbonex 21 (3), retired for a year, got this racquet after borrowing Talbot Autograph Classic for half year, eventually sold it, saw it the other day, still going
    -Yonex Carbonex 8, bought it as backup for 20bucks, used it when I was too lazy to restring my 21, sold it for 30bucks
    -Yonex Isometric 100, too whippy, sold it for 90bucks
    -Pro Kennex Isodynamic 28, bought 2, funky shaped racquet, broke one, lent out the 2nd, waiting to get back as well
    -Yonex Isometric 500 original, bought used and lent out, waiting to get back
    -HiQua Slim 10, bought 4, (1) just sold it for 20bucks, (2) snapped in anger, (3) strung it up, lent it to a friend who gave it to his gf, d*mn guy.... (4) unstrung and storage
    -Yonex MP77, latest racquet, can't wait to try it, still unstrung, hahaha, i have no racquets strung up right now....

AF

10. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Hi everybody. Happy New Year. Hope you all had a good holiday season. Here's my list:

1) Carlton 4.1 100-105g? aluminum/steel racquet purchased in 1981 or 82. It has a beautiful metallic red finish on its aluminum head with a matching red leather grip, but I banged it against a net post and the head is warped about an inch. It's still playable, with original Carlton strings (seem to have shrunk rather than stretched and are around 20lbs) but I went graphite a month after returning to the sport two years ago.

2) Yonex Carbonex 8300. 2U/G3 basic carbon racquet. Durable as hell, doesn't suck or excel at any aspect of the game. Liked it a lot until I replaced it with a better, lighter, more powerful racquet (#3). I recently realized how heavy and clumsy it was when I went back to it as a backup after a string breakage.

3) Carlton Airblade 900. 89g Damn powerful, very fun racquet to use for both singles and doubles. Not much touch at first until spending several months to get used to it and finding the right strings (I've got a cheap set of Babolat strings on it that give good power and great control that I really like). I doubt there are any/many racquets I would like better than this one; however, I just got a new toy to try out next week, so I may be updating this opinion :)

4) Yonex MP77UK. 2U/G3. Factory strung with BG-65Ti around 19lbs. My brand new Christmas present from my sister (sneaky little sis - she waited about 20 minutes after we opened up all the other presents before she suddenly announced that I might have one more present - I had already given up on getting a new racquet this holidays by that point). First impressions - it's definitely heavier than my AB900 and I think it will be somewhat challenging to get used to a 95g racquet (not to mention a long isometric) after using my Carlton for eight months now. I wasn't particularly looking to replace the AB900, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about with everyone praising and switching to this racquet, plus its price has dropped so much lately in the UK (64 pounds [US$92], less a league discount, less 15% VAT) that I thought it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask my sister to pick one up for me while she was there on a business trip.

Looking at all of your collections, I don't even feel slightly guilty for seeking to acquire my new Yonex. However, unless I break a racquet (knock on wood it doesn't happen) or can argue I need one more AB900 or MP77 as a backup, my fiance isn't likely to allow me another racquet for several years. Of course, I can always sit by quietly when she buys three unneccessary pairs of shoes and then remind her of that expense when the next hot Carlton or Yonex comes out. ;)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh. and noticed, i have had 25 rackets. 11 of them broken, one missing, and one is showing signs of cracks.

sigh.

12. Dear Byro-Nenium:

Did you miss out a Cab 21 special?

13. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Opps! Rasmussen

I had a Rasmussen which served me faithfully for a long while!

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Ok, well let's see... I dont think I have quite the extensive/expensive list as the rest of you guys do, except maybe Brett, lucky guy gets racquets as gifts. ;)
    *NOTE: I AM ONLY LISTING MODELS I PERSONALLY PURCHASED FOR MYSELF, NOT THE ONES I HAD SOLD*

Anyways, I'll start with what I can remember...

1.) Wooden racquet from a badminton set when I was young. Wooden head steel shaft. very loose strings, but it went ok with my poor skils when I was younger. I had 2 of these to use. One got severely bent out of shape, because I tripped when I played before, and the other well it's gone somewhere, disappeared. Possibly taken by some gnomes.

2.) Yonex aluminum racquet. B something or other... cant remember, didn't care back then really. Didnt know any better. haha. was green in color, with a green yonex cover, silver stripe down the middle. had a steel shaft. Only had the one. got severely bent out of shape, from one of my friend stepping on it!!! but I still used it.

3.) Carlton tapered steel shaft racquet... someone might know which one, it has a blue, white, and red head cover for the racquet. I think it was some special anniversary model, not sure. Aluminum head, had these really cool multi-colored strings!! :p Loved that racquet, but again, bent out of shape, when it was restrung with *cough* BG43.

4.) Yonex Blacken 8100. Probably the best racquet I had tried, or owned to that date. Nice, strong racquet. Never broke, but had tons of paint chips... I think most of you can attribute to this same fact. Lost it somewhere... just remember everyday during the summer going with a couple of friends to play badminton every morning at 6am arriving before the facility opened, and just played until our little hearts couldn't play any longer. haha. those were really fun times. Having so much fun didn't notice someone walking away with it, or leaving it in the locker room.

5.) Yonex graphlex 150. Now this was a heavy racquet! Compared to the carlton racquet I listed above... I could barely pick it up to swing properly! Eventually it busted in the shaft due to many racquet clashes when I was young. :(

6.) Pro-Kennex 8 something... cant remember the model, came from Hong Kong. Very nice product, was built strong too. had some weird strings on it, didn't really care back then. It just played really well for me. Dull silver color, with a bit of a purplish undertone. Eventually broke in a racquet clash with a cab8!

7.) Yonex Cab8 Aluminum frame. loved this racquet. had many great games, and experiences, but lost it due to excessive warpage in the frame due to stringing :p

8.) Carlton Aerogear 30? not sure if that's the correct number, cant remember. Didn't like it as much as the Cab8, or the Carlton whatever model listed above #2, but it was only $25 for the racquet, and that's all I could afford at the time. Overall very decent racquet for my skill at that time. Restrung with ugly bg65s, then just sold it to a friend for $15 I think.

9.) Carlton Boron Powerflo. Hmm... what can I say... the store made a mistake in charging me... instead of $120, they charged me a miniscule $50+ tax Canadian! 7% to be exactly. and I got the cover for the racquet, which they usually wont give... strung it with black BG65's, at about 21lbs, looked awesome! eventually gave it away to a friend, because the next few models cluttered up my life.

10.) Aerotus 110sp. Purchased in Hong Kong for some weirdly expensive price. Eventually broke in the frame, not due to clashes or anything, just hit the frame to much with the shuttle... poor skils + expensive nice racquet = broken racquet.

11.) Aerotus 66. Purchased in Canada. about $180 at the time. Nice racquet, hollow feeling on impact, but decent play. Eventually cracked in the frame once again, due to too many mishits.

12.) Prince Axis 60. I know... I know... a step backwards?? I believe this was a steel frame racquet, as it was a bit too heavy to be graphite. Anyways, my first experience with a racquet with a larger sweetspot. Had to be strung excessively tight to get a good consistent tension, eventually the frame bent when I lent it out to a friend to use. still have fairly fond memories of it.

13.) Prince Axis 75. An all graphite frame, with widebodyish head. Very nice product again. Greenish colored case... broken into a couple pieces while swinging... racquet shaft snapped when on the down swing, nearly hitting my partner!. I was aware a lot of people were "flexing" my racquet. so that's the only cause i can think of.

14.) Carbonex 8. Partial sponsorship. Payed a small price for this, but had 2 of them. Again, warping in the frame due to a poor stringer... then finally switched to someone who I could trust, and actually was a badminton enthusiast. I still have one, and it remains part of my collection (the first piece I can say that I collected)

15.) Carbonex 10. Reddish color. nice piece of equipment... but the shaft snapped on me. Still under warranty at the time, I moved up to the next one.

16.) Isometric 200. The original black, and purple writing one. Shaft snapped, and replaced again with a newer model.

17.) Isometric 300. This was probably the racquet I could never get used to... eventually it snapped again at the shaft, and hit the ground with a loud noise, so again, a replacement. (I broke one of these previously, by using a friend's racquet, and nearly taking somebody's head off when I went for a forehand drive... tennis style. and the shaft snapped and flew back and smashed up against a wall next to someone, and scared them, but that was not my own racquet... :p )

18.) Cab20tour. Stiff racquet. Very strong frame, strung at my highest tension (when I was under partial sponsorship, and in training) yet. 22x24lbs. Eventually sold it to a friend, and then it broke on him when he clashed it on the ground. what a waste!!!

19.) Boron 200. No longer under partial sponsorship, as I asked to see if this racquet could be purchased in Hong Kong by one of my relatives. By far my favorite, probably because I'd never had so many of one racquet at the same time. I had 3 purchased in Hong Kong, and 2 purchased from remaining inventory clearance by Yonex Canada. Loved this racquet, and played with this up until I stopped my competitive career (not a really successful one at at that either haha). Everyone broke in the frame! except for one! which I also still have, and it remains in my collection. so a total 5 of these, but only 1 remains intact, the others are in the landfill somewhere.

20.) Black Knight 68 TiXL something or other... cant remember... Upon my return to more consistent play. I dont consider once a month play consistent during post secondary. I needed something cheap... I saw a titanium racquet and snatched it up. for $50 Canadian. Something about that $50 price point... Eventually the shaft completely snapped at the cone. The second one busted at the T joint (all within 2 months)

21.) Yonex Ti10. Wow, what a huge step forward from the Black Knight!!! 3U, I purchased 2 of them. I was being stupid, and sold the two racquets for $150 each... that's ok, I only payed $180 after shipping, taxes, and conversion from the US haha.

22.) Karakal SL70. Wow again... too light though. sold it.

23.) Forza Morten Frost Special. one of the last ones I could find. Put it in my collection. very nice triple taper design.

24.) Forza Super Giant 25000 Slim. one word... STIFF. couldn't play with it well enough, so I sold it to a friend instead of collecting it. kinda wished I had one left at least.

25.) Forza Morten Frost Legend. Found it to be very weak in design. Sold it.

26.) Forza Ti Tech 900. Looks nice. Snapped in the shaft. dont ask. :(

27.) Forza Star Power 10000. Liked it, but had a change of heart, and sold ALL of them. I had 3 of these.

I recently acquired a few mp80 racquets, I have not strung all of them yet, but am looking forward to play testing. Along with that I purchased 3 ti10's for myself, and will be adding at least 1 to my collection, because it is indeed a work of art.
    As for my current weapon of choice, I am using an MP55. It was both affordable, and durable. I really dont care what I use now. Mainly just strings, and the way I play, which there's always room for improvement. I also have 1 cab20 original which I added to my collection a while ago, but was too lazy to list it in the proper order.
    I'm looking forward to actually owning my very own MP100 & MP70/77 one day, when I can afford to... not counting them as actual expenses of course. :p
    Anyways, lots of stuff out there, and this is all that I can remember right now. If you made it this far, you're a true badminton freak!

15. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    oh yeah... I purchased a cab22, and 23 in between all the hub-bub, last year I believe, but I sold them before I could play with them. :p pretty stupid of me, considering that it's really hard to find the cab22 now, and I'm sure I would have been using it even today. oh well.

16. cc

cc Guest

kelvin, check my post above. i will sell you my cab22.

17. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    forgot about a Yang Yang tactic 9000 I had purchased, and didn't use, as it's sitting in my house back home. :p
    still have it, probably give it to my fiance, so she can use.

18. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    WOW you guys got alot. I'm still waiting for shauns lol.

Heres my little list.

My first racket ever was a steel one that i got from sport check , but i was like 7 at the time.

Then when i started playing in grade 6 i had a YY Graphlex 150-still got it but its deformed.

Then in grade 8 i got a Yonex ISO95vf.Broke it clashing.
    Then a CAB 14
    Then a Karakal sl-70 in GR 9 Sold it.TOO LIGHT
    after i got a Ti-10 sold it cause i was stupid.
    Then i got A Forza ti tech 900 and Morten frost legend.Sold then cause once again i was stupid.
    Then got a cab 21 traded with my friend for a MD player.
    I got a Ti-10 again but i broke from loss of temper.
    Now using a TI SP SX
    And froza Star power.

T is fo what i remeber.I sure there was about 2 more.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    cc

cc, where do you live? is the cab22 SP?

20. cc

cc Guest

cab22

vancouver. its a regular cab22, not sp.