21 Points Rally System BEST of 5!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ants, Apr 22, 2007.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Since most of us by now have already adapt to the new scoring system of 21 Points best of 3 sets. As we know the style of play is more of power and speed. Not forgetting less errors since each error cost you a point and even a Match.

However i have this crazy idea and thinking what the game would be and how the playing style would differ if its best of 5. Probably the tournament would probably take 1 1/2 weeks to finish. And i would predict that it will be mentally and physically torturing to the players. But at the same time we would have a new breed of players which will adapt fine to the best of 5 sets.

Whats your thoughts guys?

2. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    best of 5 for grand slam tourneys (7* events) and 3 for rest of the tourneys, just like tennis

ants is a genius

3. leftyskill

leftyskill Regular Member

i think if u keep the new scoring system, it should be five games of 21 or three games of a greater number, like 41, maybe even higher. With the new scoring system, u don't actually have to win many points to win the game, as you can win half the points u need from opponents mistakes

4. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    I believed it was first proposed here.

But yeah, while I don't mind the scoring system itself, there are some games that disappear way too fast. There definitely needs to be more longevity imo

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Can't remember where I saw it but the idea of 5 games x 21 was floated somewhere and it seemed to be a natural progression to the 3 x 21 system. It does incorporate the fitness factor back into the equation plus it would cut down the number of "fluke" wins. I think it would also provide enough leeway for players to play more skilled/fancy shots and not be punished too severely for trying them.

Overall it would bring back some elements of the OSS while keeping the matches fresh and exciting for the spectators.:)

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    And when you keep the tv time longer, thus we can bring in more sponsors and spectators. :) More money and more excitement.

7. franxon

franxon Regular Member

i seldom start a thread. but i said 21 x 5 a year ago, for pros.:D

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that's just too much i think, i am however in favour of 3 sets but with more than 21 points. tricky to determine exactly how many points would be ideal, but i think a set should last on average for about 20 mins, so currently with the 21 point system we're getting game lengths of 12-15 mins, so about 30-35 points looks to be the best bet.

9. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I kind of like that idea. Don't know how tolling it would be on the pros though.

Maybe 5 sets to 15 points or something. I think I could last out a game like that :).

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, I agree.

Either 25 * 3 or 15 * 5 should be reasonable for today's stamina standard.

11. baddaz12345

baddaz12345 Regular Member

maybe we could try best of 4 sets, then if a 2 2 tied happened a situation like a sudden death penalty shootout or something along those lines to determine the winner :confused: .

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't like the idea of sudden death match and I don't think there's a PK in badminton. :p

If the duration and stamina is a concern, 25 (or 30) X 3 or 15 * 5 can very well solve the issue.

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Not so sure about 15 points in the NSS. This brings back the element of luck again and possibly even more boring finishes at the end of a game. I think 21 is about right. As for stamina, I don't think it'll be a big issue. They're all pretty fit. If you think back to the OSS, games used to go on forever. So what's wrong with a 90-100 minute match? Squash players toil that long. Don't treat our badminton players like pansies;)

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    One idea would be to play first rounds played 21x3 and then semis + finals 21x5...

/T

15. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I think 21X3 is good enough for singles game. For doubles though, instead of 21X5 I would suggest 31X3.

16. shuttlehead

shuttlehead Regular Member

retired
    21-3 ralley scoring

I recently viewed all the dvd's of the ralley scoring tournaments from 2006. I found the flow of the game exactly suited my interest span. Then I watched a 15 point 2 hand scoring video from the year 2000. Two hotly contested matches, men's singles final and mixed finals. I couldn't believe how slow the matches were. I am in favor of ralley scoring but don't really care how many games the pros play. It's the ralley scoring that moves the game along. Since I don't plan to ever enter another tournament I don't care what competitors want. What does concern me is that at some places where I play the people are opposed to any kind of change and refuse to use ralley scoring. This is troublesome because most nights there are too many players waiting for a game to end. Some of these doubles games change service 5-6 times without the score progressing. This means that someone is sitting around an extra 5-10 minutes before playing again. This is far too long and leads to muscle cooldown a factor in injury.

17. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    Sorry, but I am not in favor of this. I thought of having two systems, but then one for "pros" and a second for "amateurs". But this could put even more fracture in this sport. Plus, it is hard enough for me to get people to make a commitment for an entire weekend to participate in a tournament.

I like the Rally Point Scoring system from the perspective of an event manager because it is easier to keep a tournament on time.

Toddster

18. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

5 sets I would love as a player, being physically fit. Too often in the 21 system i can just start bad, and not imply my strategy and im already done a game and on my heels, and too worried about branching out.
    5 games would allow more room for my stupid shots that can demoralize an opponent or awe then, and once i get it down a few times its instinct.

19. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah I guess so, but I think it would begin to take a toll in a larger tournament. Having to play match after match like that might be a little more difficult. I don't think it would be hard for the pros to last one match like that of course. Not that I really know what a professional badminton player can stand up to of course. I think 5 x 15 rally point scoring would be pretty good for general use. Squash is boring and slow anyway :p.

Not that I really have a big problem with the current scoring system. I guess it could be a bit longer in some cases.