Starting badminton again, need help finding OC gym

Discussion in 'USA West' started by jmu114, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jmu114

jmu114 New Member

Consulting, FDA RA and cGMP
    Hi all,

I played competitive badminton in my high school years and played casually during college. It's been about 10 years since I held a badminton racket and now I am thinking about picking up the sport again.

The problem is, I can't find the most updated information on "places to play." I hope you can help me in this regard.

I visited OCBC today and was shocked at the high prices there....I guess it will be worth it if I am conditioned to play competitively again... but it doesn't fit me now.
    IVC seems to have a women's badminton club... but from the website, dosn't look like it's for public anymore.

I live at Fullerton and work at Irvine.... If you know a few good gyms around these cities that don't charge an arm and a leg to play (daily?) , I'll really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#1 jmu114, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

You can check these places also..

..yes, the SCBA website is down for maintance..However, you can check out these places in this link: http://www.worldbadminton.com/whereToPlay/unitedStates/index.html#sca

If you live in Fullerton, the closest place to play, as far as i know, is the Walnut Teen Center(abt 15-20 min. drive and only costs $1 to play. Wide array of playing levels.;)). You can go to these links: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=425515#post425515 or http://www.ci.walnut.ca.us/general.asp?id=157
    Btw, welcome to BCF, jmu114 :cool:

#2 ctjcad, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  3. jmu114

jmu114 New Member

Consulting, FDA RA and cGMP
    Thanks you ctjcad!!!

I will definately check out these places soon!:)

4. badder

badder Regular Member

5. cch112

cch112 New Member

jmu114, where did you go for badminton in OC? i am also new to OC and trying to find a good place to go. good means less than $5, not a lot of people and evenly leveled players.

6. OC2007

OC2007 Regular Member

Why don't you come to Bolsa Rec. Center ? It's near Bolsa HS. Open on Thursday: 6-9pm, Sunday 5-8pm, and every morning (I guess). The fees are $5 for ID, and $3 for everytime you come.....

Sometime, Santa Ana College is open on Sunday 1-5pm (free), but I don't know when it's gonna open...

Also, there is a small gym at: McFadden and Hazard. Coach Prat(coached Garden Grove HS couple years ago), he's open on Friday(6-9pm). The problem is that he only has 3 courts, so it's kind of tight for us to play...I'll check it out this Friday

Hope this help...

7. hkbsah

hkbsah Regular Member

You guys can always come to join us at Garden Grove Recreational Center next to Bolsa Grande HS, every morning from 6:30am-9:00am except Wednesday and Sunday as long as you come to have fun and act nicely since 90% of people playing here are 50+. Fee are one time $30 bucks, after that it is $25 bucks a month, very cheap. There are 6 courts, 3 for beginner and older peoples and 3 for intermediate and advance, couple younger guys and gals will be play on this side. Rule is 1 game 21 points, both side go out at end game. You can go to the next court and play if it open. So sometime you gotta wait 1 or 2 games before you can play and sometime you can play continuously until you lay on the floor. But typically, you will have about 5-10 mins rest between games.

In the evening, from 7-10pm you can check out SCCCA Thu, Fri, Sat, this place is more expensive $7 bucks walk in $400 for unlimited year round included Sunday from 5pm-8pm I think. This one will be more competitive. Lot more intermediate and advance players even freak :D (sorry, but some of you guys are pretty crazy)

If you are a beginner you might try a small gym at the corner of New Hope and Hazard in Santa Ana, it's a part of Rosita Park. There are 3 courts Monday, Wednesday 9-12am, Friday 5pm-8pm $12bucks a month.

Sunday only would be Santa Ana College 1-5pm best bet since it's free. You can check out www.bangminton.com to see which Sunday it's open.

OCBC is another place for those with deep pocket.

8. youkorlann

youkorlann New Member

Does anyone have an update on Santa Ana College schdule and fees? Many thanks!

9. maq1473

maq1473 Regular Member

care giver
    santa ana open today anyone?

10. wchao

wchao Regular Member

Management Consultant
  11. maq1473

maq1473 Regular Member

care giver
    can you update me w rosita park ill go there tommorow thanks