I have a couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Matt14500, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    I'm a newbie player that just started about 4 months ago and I have a couple of questions.

- Is it better to have a lighter or heavier racquet? I'm someone who likes to smash and play a bit more offensivly. Would a heavier racquet be better for smashing? I have a Carbonex 8400 and I find it lacking in power.

- Is it good to have a higher string tension or a lower string tension? I heard the higher the tension is it reduces a bit of power for more control. Would you see a big difference in something like 20lbs compared to something like 24lbs. For a novice player that doesn't have much strength should I have a lower string tension?

Flexible or Stiff? What's better? I hear stiffer racquets are harder to play with for a beginner. Would you need alot of strength to use a stiff racquet? What would be better for me?

While I'm at it, can someone recommend a good offensive Yonex racquet within $150-$200 Canadian?

Thanks.

#1 Matt14500, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    -first off, lighter doesn't mean better, it depends how strong you are and if your technique uses more arm or wrist to generate power, wristy players like light rackets to swing very fast and generate a lot of power, or use ur arm and shoulder to make more power then then extra weight of the racket could be more powerfull
    -now if you do a search, search "string tension" and you will find all the info it's a big subject and I can't go into to much details read the other threads
    -flexible is much much better for beginners because it will generate a lot of power because of the wipping action, but for a advanced player a flexy would bend to much in the swing and they would lose control, right now you should use a flexible racket, 150$-200$ is over kill for a beginner and I would say get something in the Isometric series or a Muscle Power 33 and below, now even if you buy a racket allready with strings on it, if you want to increase performance I would get it re-strung right away with bg-65 at 20lbs, 20lbs is the beginner tension, it should be perfect and the strings will provide better preformance. Bonne Chance, Good luck have fun

3. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the reply. :cool:

Can anyone else recommend me a good racquet that's pretty light and head heavy? I'd also like it to be able to perform well in doubles and singles and have a balance between defense and offense. It should also be not too stiff.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If money is not a issue, Yonex AT900-t.

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

silentheart, isnt that too much for a beginner?
    probably something in the lower Armortec series will suit you, like At-250 or 300, nothing more. they're cool enough by the way.

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Agree, please take that as a joke...

7. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Muscle Power 66 or Armortec 500 would be some good, both very fun rackets to play with.

8. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    Would the Armortec 250 be a good choice? Is it too stiff for me?

I want something that's a little more on the offensive side. I'd also like it to play well in doubles and singles.

#8 Matt14500, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  9. morewood

morewood Regular Member

A new racquet wont improve your game dramatically. Best investments, new court shoes, coaching sesions then the racquet. As to the racquet to suit you that depends on your playing style, technique and fitness, but a general rule a lighter stiffer racquet requires better technique and or more power to hit the feather harder.

10. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Heavier racket would be better to develop your wrist and power, a light racket requires very fast racket speed to produce power, which is only possible once you've picked up the correct technique. The Cab 8400 will probably be too light for you, so I'd suggest getting something slightly heavier. Low end Carltons would be good, if they sell them in canada.

11. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    Yah I would agree with morewood, invest in a racket like everyone here is suggesting, if head heavy is your game then a Armortech 250 to 500 is perfect but keep in mind that court shoes are more important, look into getting badminton specific shoes from Yonex etc, and to Loppy low end carltons are all over the place in Canda it drives me mad lol

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Equipment selection is very much personal preference issues. There's no right or wrong questions, as long as it fits for your own need. If you are fairly new to this sport, I will say, any well made all graphite rackets from a reqputable manufacture should be good at this moment. Try to save some $$$ on a pair of good badminton shoes and some coaching sessions. ;)

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Silentheart's choice could also be a valid choice as well.

I did have a spare AT-900T and asked my friend who is a developing player if she wanted one since she was looking for a racket to purchase. When I asked her, she said she did not play enough badminton want to buy it even thou she knew I got it for a very good price. The alterative which I suggested is the AT-250 which she agreed on based on the price and I helped her purchased it in the end.

Regarding the AT-250’s stiffness, it is not as stiff as it claims to be, so it should be bring too much concern regarding it being too stiff.

#13 Matt, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  14. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

I've got a suggestion.
    1. Get an yonex isometric 65 light.
    2. Really work to get a good stroke
    3. When your stroke is good, make it better.
    And
    4. Go to a club in a different city, and beat the crap you of everyone with their high end fancy rackets, using an old ynoex isometric 65 light.

:D

15. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    I was looking at either the AT250 or the AT300. What would be the better racquet for me?

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hi Matt,
    take the AT250, make few swings. do that to AT300 too. then you will which suits you better.

17. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

oh ya, i think the 3U at250 is rather demanding to swing. probably would like to get a 4U, matt, since you want to play both doubles and singles

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Agreed, go with 250.

19. Matt14500

Matt14500 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks guys. Does the 250 have alot of power? Sorry for the questions but I really want to buy the "right" racquet. I already made the mistake of buying a Carbonex 8400. Not that it's a bad racquet it just doesn't have enough power. And since I don't have much power in the first place this racquet is not helping at all.

According to BadmintonAlley, the 250 is stiff and the 300 is medium stiff. The 300 is also 4U. So wouldn't the 300 be a better choice? Is the 250 really "stiff" and does it come in a 4U version?

#19 Matt14500, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  20. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    It has plenty of power for me. I can do fairly good smashes. But of course, a racket won't help your power that much, unless you can generate it from your own strength. That's how energy works anyhow, as it never dissipates. It is only transferred, and you have to work on your technique to get the maximum transfer of energy. It is sort of stiff, but I wouldn't know how to really compare, since it's the stiffest racket I have, until I my AT 900P arrives. I wouldn't go for the 4U version, as pertaining to Dink's review. I don't think there is a 4U in the US, but apparently, he had one. I'd say 3U should be light "enough," without compromising performance and durability.

#20 Tsumaranai, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007