Badminton calorie burning

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hardeep_21, Apr 26, 2007.

1. hardeep_21

hardeep_21 Regular Member

Hello everyone!

I saw this table on the internet and it shows how many calories you lose in 10 minuites of a certain activity, and for badminton it is as follows:

125-174 pounds: 43 calories burnt every 10 mins
    175-250 pounds: 65 calories burnt every 10 mins
    250+ pounds: 94 calories burnt every 10 mins.

That means generally in 1 hour of play you lose a minimum of about 258 calories, wow thats great!

If you guys wana see the table click here.

BTW you need to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound of weight.

2. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    Thanks for the info. It is very interesting. But on the website there is no indication that whether the estimate is based on leisure or competitive playing of badminton. I assume that competitive will burn a lot more than that and it does take a lot to lose one pound. :)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that chart isnt that accurate because it doesnt reflect on the level of play.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I definitely agree. Different level of playing/training will give totally different result. Oh, they did not count the "big dinner afterward" factor as well. :D

5. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

You don't have to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. It cant be that magical. Yes, if you eat 3000 calorie/day during a month and you burn 3500 calories/day during this time you will lose maybe 15-20 lbs. It still depends on several factors.

Playing badminton burns a huge amount of calories for sure and will make you fit if you play competitive. If you just drive the bird with friends, it wont.

**Don't play badminton to get fit. Get fit to play badminton** Thanks.

6. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Playing doubles does not require much fitness, and playing singles will only be physically taxing after you can play to a good standard with good footwork, otherwise the rally will be over too short to make a difference.

There's a difference between anaerobic and aerobic exercise, badminton in general is anaerobic, however competive singles at a high level would be aerobic, and only aerobic exercise will really make a difference if you want to burn calories.

7. Nuclear

Nuclear Regular Member

Electronic Repair
    Oliviergmar, I don't really understand about the calorie burning part and the 15-20lbs you're talking about. Can you break it down mathematically so we know what you're talking about?

8. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Last time, I checked that I was able to burn about 20 calories/min on a trackmill at 10% elevation and 4 miles/hour speed... To burn 43 calories every 10 minutes, has gotta be a joke like tossing the shuttle across the net standing at the same spot the whole time.:rolleyes:

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Hmm... well there are 9 Calories (kcal) per gram of fat right? And 453.6 grams per pound? that gives us 4082 calories in a pound of fat.

If we assume something like 85% efficiency in burning that fat, then I guess that would give you about 3500 kcal in a pound of fat.

Now, the key thing for talking about burning fat is to consider the effect on the metabolism. Even if you work out for 1 hour every day, the additional energy you use will only be during 1/24 (~4%) of your day, which is not that much. Any effects on the other 96% of your day are very important.

Consider conventional low intensity cardio (i.e. aerobic intensity). The body adapts to this type of stimulus by improving efficiency- to be able to get the same work done while wasting less energy. The effects on metabolism is less energy used during non-exercise periods.

High intensity exercise (such as any exercise using the anaerobic energy pathway) results in increased proficiency - the ability to do more work in less time. The effects of this on metabolism is more energy used during non-exercise periods.

So, to effectively lose fat:
    - make sure the majority of your exercise sessions are high intensity
    - make sure to maximize non-exercise related energy expenditure

10. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    wut about when you play hard enough until you heave in and out and sweat like your showering. not after shower. showering. =] thats me. i would believe achieving aerobic type badminton is pretty easy, you just go for every single shot and have a game pace. which is what i always do, i never play easy. but that doesnt mean all i do is smash. i drop way more than i smash. but i still sweat like alot.

Abhishekh likes this.
  11. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

Exactly. And you can get the best non-exercise energy expenditure doing wight training. Because you burn more calories at least two days after each training.

Nuclear, my point is you can burn 6k calories a day playing badminton but if you eat 6.1k calories everyday you wont lose a pound of fat...ever. You must have a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.

12. hardeep_21

hardeep_21 Regular Member

I dont think you are right here. Every time you digest food your body burns 100 calories, and nearly everything you do burns calories, so some weight would be lost.

13. thewils

thewils Regular Member

Programmer
    Lose fat, not weight

Sorry to jump in here, but the objective would surely be to lose fat, not necessarily weight. As muscle mass increases and fat diminishes, depending on the beginning and ending fat/muscle ratios you might actually gain weight, so don't pay too close attention to the scales.

14. Nuclear

Nuclear Regular Member

Electronic Repair
    Oliviergmar, what I'm saying is how does loosing 500 calories each day for one month (3500 - 3000) equal to 15-20lbs? I just don't see the math there.

15. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Sweating or getting tired doesn't mean it's aerobic exercise, in fact when your muscles get tired, it's usually cos of lactic acid build up which is a product of anaerobic respiration, and sweating is a natural body response to try to reduce body temperature. I think aerobic respiration only occurs after several minutes continuous exercise, and unfortunatelythe pauses in badminton after each point stops it from being aerobic. Your body will only start burning fat during prolonged periods of aerobic respiration, after the sugars in your body have been nearly used up. I think thats how it works anyway lol, I used to be a swimmer a long time ago.

Although you won't lose much fat playing badminton, you probably will gain some muscle in the legs due to the repetitive lunges, however as muscle is heavier than fat, your weight will probably go up. If your weight goes down after 1 badminton session, it's because of water loss, from my experience losing water can make upto 5kg difference for me (i'm about 65kg), but it's only temporary.

16. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Olivier, burning up more calories than you eat will not mean you lose weight, it'll mean you won't have any energy to exercise and move. I'm a fairly sports active person, and if I don't consume sufficient carbohydrates, I have no energy to play badminton or football. Therefore, I often take in some form of sugar in the form of a sugary drink or chocolate bar before or after exercise, because my body demands it =p It's not a good idea to disagree with the body.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Err....:rolleyes:

Yes, it will.

If (total energy intake) < (total energy loss), then you will lose weight. The body must use stored energy, ie fat; sometimes the body will also consume muscle for energy (this can happen when skinny people exercise hard and don't eat enough, or when people starve).

If (total energy intake) > (total energy loss), then you will gain weight. The body will store energy in fat, or build muscle, or both.

There's a certain amount of tolerance involved -- the body can excrete some fat, and I expect there are also homeostatic processes to regulate metabolism -- but once you've accounted for these minor scaling factors, it's simply a matter of (energy in) minus (energy out).

Weight loss is very, very simple. You just have to eat less and exercise more. A million dieting books don't want you to know that ;)

Simple, but not easy.

#17 Gollum, Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  18. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    alright, if you play badminton everyday for around 3hrs per day. since its not "aerobic" you wont lose anyweight. so according to u, playing hard for 3hrs a day will be the same as sitting on the couch watching tv instead. doesnt make sense to me.:confused:

19. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    because the the info is not correct?! I could play 3 hours of badminton very very intensely I'm pretty sure it can burn more then sitting on a sofa watching tv.

20. emperor

emperor Regular Member

Badminton Player
    Good Statement

U are absolutely right ! Get fit to play badminton ! A very Good Statement.