had my very first badminton lesson yesterday!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by FitnessFreak, Apr 26, 2007.

1. FitnessFreak

FitnessFreak Regular Member

well i have been playing badminton for a while now-but i just started taking it seriously about 3 months ago.

i finished 4th place out of my school and thought i knew everything lol

well i just went to my first lesson yesterday and i am in a group of 12 people my age, theres 2 of them who are about the same skill lvl as me and every1 else is so/so

but i didn't even hold my racket right-or have proper footwork lol, after my coach showed me how to do the forehand and backhand grip i was amazed at how much more power i had in my shots, i have always been known as being a good player with really lousy and slow smashes. but today whilst playing a few people noticed and said

"whoah your smashes have gotten better!" it felt really good lol, and man i learnt alot my first lesson! can't wait till the next 1!!:D

2. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Congrats! and that's just lesson 1 haha. It's good to see someone seeing their improvement after a short while, for me, it was gradually built up and I didn't notice much improvement until I beat certain people. Train hard!

3. jbchiong

jbchiong Regular Member

Good for you buddy!!! Keep up playing and never get tired playing. :)

I just reminds me of watching those training videos by Coach Zhao Jianhua. Especially those people who really sucks bigtime when playing. But after the coach taught them the right strokes they've become a new person.

so, continue with your training and never give up even though the training is too tough.

:)

4. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Good for you!

I still remember how I used to think I am so good at badminton until I actually get into the sport and realize how suck I once was. You'll be amazed as you go on. ;)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    excellent!

only goes to prove that techniques is the most important thing!

6. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    waaaaa!!!! i want a coach too. even when i am only playing for health reasons. all the better to play properly with the right technique. i have always thought my techniques are on the crappy side. he he he. i so want to improve my net play and backhand shots. watching instructional video is not the same as having someone look at how you play and identifying your weakness. how i wish i am living in KL and not Ipoh. but i love Ipoh so all is well.

7. FitnessFreak

FitnessFreak Regular Member

ya i went to play today and... i'm having a really hard time with this 'forehand' grip

i always held mine sooo differently and i kept on rimming it today when i was trying to smash...

8. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    that's the beauty of having a coach. you will slowly but surely improve. all the best to you. :D

9. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    goood job =]

im playing in school and our coach doesnt know much so its just up to badminton central for coaching haha.

the tough analyzing and reading made me so much better.
    ive grown so much. thankyou ppl =D

10. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    If you don't have your own coach, start to become your own. I would recommend video taping yourself play and start to critique yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

Toddster

11. Wes

Wes Regular Member

oh man. congrats to you!

i remember when i was about 14 when i started, i had the wrong grip but i was doing everything else good. Then one of my friend told me to join the badminton alberta training course during the summer with him, and so i did. oh boy, i improved SO much, my grip was fixed, better footwork. I advise you to join that course if your parents allow you to! Mind you its kind of costly. I paid i think around 450 for 1 week of training, with dorms + food provided. It's not an easy week i tell you! I was sore and it hurt to move after the first day!

But hey! if you want to play sometime, i dont mind playing with you!

12. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    ahhhh...the success stories, =p i remember 4 years ago.....i was pan handling, and was running around the court liek a retard and most importantly no BANG sound. My my, things surely have changed in 4 years.

13. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Congrats to u!

While me,i was kind of ur reverse version.I started to play serious for about 6 months now,n i was attenting class for my first 2 months.I got 2 different coaches back in time,as i changed my first coach.My 2nd coach really corrected all my basics,like how to grip,footwork,maximize shots.After had it for 1 month for each of them,i got out,since the place is kind of far away from my place.Besides,my coach basically teach us how to play in single game.It's kind of discouraging me,since i used to play doubles,most of the time.I love doubles.My single was really sucks.My doubles wasnt really good as well,but at least,play it much better than my single.

Then i got out from there,and start to practice all the things he taught me by myself.My friends saw the difference.But it was not so big.So,after 3 months of everyday playing,using the same method,which is using the things my coach taught me in a month,my friends is kind of suprised n started to talk about me,esp in the doubles.Improved so much on it.My single is also much better than it used to be.

So,my point is,coaching is one of the main step for improvement,but later on,incase u've stopped the training,u still should do what u've learned.Expand what u've learned.

14. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    hey wong, we STILL suck

15. bleedhondos

bleedhondos Regular Member

The far most important thing in any sports is techniques/ footwork otherwise you can never get better. Keep practicing and you should get better and better.

16. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    videotaping yourself is good, because it's a good way to spot your own mistakes. You can also watch experienced players or better, get one of them to mentor you