how to make an easy transition from 15pt to 21pt system?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by llpjlau, Apr 27, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

hi,
    okay, our inter-college league has decided to adopt the new 21pt system only this season. it has been using the 15pt system last season and before that as well.
    i was wondering how a player can make the easiest and most smooth transition from the 15pt system to the 21pt system.
    what would be a major difference (physically, mentally, even technique and strategy etc etc)
    any help would be most appreciated
    thanks

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Only use the 21pt system even in practice matches. If you use the 15 point system for social matches, the learning process is slowed down,.

3. Hierkommtnils

Hierkommtnils Regular Member

Fin. Controller
    i think the major difference, is that the service is much more important now.

If you have only an average service, you will give your opponent easy points...

4. ixiaohoui

ixiaohoui Regular Member

Student
    Be consistent. Serve and serve return are either easy mistakes or easy points, so practice those. Other than that, there isn't much of a difference in terms of strategy, in my honest opinion. While it is true that attacking more does grant some benefits, this is only if you can stay consistent. As I iterated first, consistency becomes very key to staying close or ahead of your opponent.

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Cheung, what i meant was that only THIS season they STARTED using 21pt system in the league.
    last season they used the 15pt system. so, i was wondering, how to transide smoothly into the new scoring system.

hmm, anyway, does stamina play as important part? endurance, strength etc?

6. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

You think you just need to start playing more on the 21pt and get use to it. I find it is more on the mental side than endurance and strength.

7. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i dont think i just need to start playing more on the 21pt and get use to it. thats why i am asking how the transition can be make easier

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Don't think about the scoring system. Just focus on playing the rally.

Whatever scoring system you use, you win games by winning each rally, one at a time.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

just play, there's not as much to it as you think...

in the end, it's still badminton...the only differences I see are the apparant ones.. (bad serve-lose a point, good serve return-win a point...and being down 19-20 is a bitch...)

10. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Exactly. Most of us I think just played our way into the new system. It's not astonomically different for us. I think it will only make it harder if you actually worry about how you're going to go about it. Just play as you usually do (being extra careful with your serves though :p), and change your pace/playing style a bit if you feel it's necessary after a bit of experience with it.

The "transition" is obviously going to be different for everybody depending on their fitness level/playing ability etc. Don't worry about it too much for now. If you have problems with it after you've played with it for awhile, then you might have to worry about changing certain things. But I don't think that will be the case.

Oh BTW, I didn't notice you were back here Gollum, so it's good to see you back :).

#10 phaarix, Apr 28, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  11. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

okay, so what sort of fitness level does the new 21pt require? better fitness or more or less the same?

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the same: "better than your opponents"

13. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Consistancy is stressed in the new scoring system. Fitness level should be the same, but you can always improve on it

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

At the highest level, the old system was more dangerous to athletes, because sometimes they would play monster matches -- say, 1.5 hours. In these extremely long matches, their fitness would start to break down and they would become more susceptible to injuries.

Top players still need the same fitness -- ie, as fit as they possibly can be -- but they are no longer at risk of dangerously long games, because a game can never last more than 59 rallies.

The new scoring system protects our athletes :)

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Though some matches still make it to the big 60 minutes..and over it...

ánd fitness doesn't directly corallate (sp?) to length (hint: intensity) ;)

16. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Yes you do and that is the most direct answer to your question. The biggest switch between 15pt and 21pt is on the mental side, because you can lose point directly on serve and if you are not prepared mentally you can lose many points alone on unforced error.

Fitness wise, I found it less demanding, but you should always keep yourself in the best shape if you're desire to win.

Then why doesn’t play more help???

17. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

no i must say again that i don't think i have to just start playing more on the 21pt system and get use to it.
    btw, why a game can never last more than 59 rallies?

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Other than the mental part there is no difference. The new system demands unrelenting concentration and the need to stay focused all the time-no more "tea breaks" or second chance like the old. Also the longer you play the new system the better your serve will become. Your focus and concentration will also improve. You become less cavaliar. It is "serious business".

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A game has the normal 21 points and if both players reach 20-20 (this now adds up to 40 points or rallies). At 20-20 a duece is mandatory, and the maximum points in winning a duece, and the game, is another 10 points or rallies. This now adds up to 50 points or rallies. The maximum your losing opponent can get in a duece is 9 points, losing to you by just one point. All in all the grand total is now 59 points or rallies.
    As a matter of fact this maximum rallies/points games have taken place in important tournaments. One of the most memorable one was between China's two top WS players.

20. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

in Japan Open i think, Zhang Ning won 30-29