User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Taping skin on thumb injury ?

    I was just wondering what type of taping can be used to protect skin problem on thumb.

    From time to time it seems I do not hold the racquet right and small section of skin on the inner part of the thumb open up. When this happens I need to lower the level of play since it does hurt for a couple of days .

    Any ideas ?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    sounds like you should try some sports wrap

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    vancouver,canada
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Change to a softer grip maybe? Try using some vaseline!!!but just not on open wounds more for dry skin,cracked,etc.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    no advice on the tape, but ive had this problem before, try turning your thumb more, so you use the tip of it to contact the grip, not the side

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i get a really annoying blister below my pinkie and i can't tape it up cos the sweat makes the adhesive not stick, any ideas?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Use hockey tape. They semi-rough and give pretty good traction. The key thing is not to tape too tight or you'll cut off the circulation to your pinkie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    i get a really annoying blister below my pinkie and i can't tape it up cos the sweat makes the adhesive not stick, any ideas?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Use hockey tape. They semi-rough and give pretty good traction. The key thing is not to tape too tight or you'll cut off the circulation to your pinkie.
    ohh ok, cool. do i just tape around my pinkie or around the whole hand?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You need to relax your grip more when you play. Make sure you change your grip frequently. Depending on how often you play, change the grip when you notice a little loss of traction. They wear out faster especially when you tense up easily. Personally, I try to change my grip once every two weeks if I play three times a week. It's important to have good grip as it makes your strokes so much easier.

    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielmontreal
    I was just wondering what type of taping can be used to protect skin problem on thumb.

    From time to time it seems I do not hold the racquet right and small section of skin on the inner part of the thumb open up. When this happens I need to lower the level of play since it does hurt for a couple of days .

    Any ideas ?
    Last edited by cappy75; 04-29-2007 at 05:20 AM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is it on the finger or at the base of the pinkie? If it's on the finger, just tape over it once. But if it's on the base, well... you pretty much have to live with it. If your grip technique is right, you should get blisters at the base of the pinkie and on the thumb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    ohh ok, cool. do i just tape around my pinkie or around the whole hand?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Is it on the finger or at the base of the pinkie? If it's on the finger, just tape over it once. But if it's on the base, well... you pretty much have to live with it. If your grip technique is right, you should get blisters at the base of the pinkie and on the thumb.
    yup, i get it on base of pinkie and thumb. thumb doesn't bother me as much, it's the blasted pinkie base. i've got a callous over the blister bit, but the sides of the callous always break open and the skin UNDERNEATH the callous gets rubbed raw by the hard skin on top, it's rather a pain, cos if i get rid of the callous, my skin is too tender, but if i keep it there, the callous rubs the skin underneath raw. ain't badminton a good sport!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, in that case just let it be. Callouse is nature's way of protecting that part of your hand. If you remove it, it's gonna rub your hand raw. I myself have a tiny bump of a callouse in that area. It hardly gets rubbed raw unless I am really scrimping on grips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    yup, i get it on base of pinkie and thumb. thumb doesn't bother me as much, it's the blasted pinkie base. i've got a callous over the blister bit, but the sides of the callous always break open and the skin UNDERNEATH the callous gets rubbed raw by the hard skin on top, it's rather a pain, cos if i get rid of the callous, my skin is too tender, but if i keep it there, the callous rubs the skin underneath raw. ain't badminton a good sport!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Yeah, in that case just let it be. Callouse is nature's way of protecting that part of your hand. If you remove it, it's gonna rub your hand raw. I myself have a tiny bump of a callouse in that area. It hardly gets rubbed raw unless I am really scrimping on grips.
    but the callous is rubbing the skin underneath raw. whats scrimping?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Scrimping is another word for saving money. Not many people would replace grips regularly, yet it's one of the most important thing to do. There are people who are willing to cut strings on their racquets that are too worn out yet not replace their grips when they really need to, so they basically wear the grip down to the wood.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    but the callous is rubbing the skin underneath raw. whats scrimping?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Scrimping is another word for saving money. Not many people would replace grips regularly, yet it's one of the most important thing to do. There are people who are willing to cut strings on their racquets that are too worn out yet not replace their grips when they really need to, so they basically wear the grip down to the wood.
    ohhh ok, that's not me. i treat my grips with a more god like demeanor than i do with my racquets

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile New Grip size+, relaxed hand ... worked

    Thanks to all for the advice,
    I did pay more attention to the way I place the thumb ... and putting the thumb 1/2 cm closer to my hand did help.
    I also increased the size of the grip by adding a grip layer ... so I suppose I need a G4 ... (my racquet was G3) ... this also helped a bit. I also realized that when I play with a new grip the problem is not there ... so changing the grip often helps as well.
    I paid attention to the way I installed the grip when I was having problems and it was probably too tight.

    Now I just need to find a lot of grip for low $ and I will be settled.

    Thanks. again.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    : 04-11-2013, 02:56 AM
  2. Skin peeling off
    By Paritos in forum Injuries
    Replies: 10
    : 12-12-2010, 03:36 AM
  3. Anyone else's skin is peeling off the foot?
    By Lin Dan-Fan in forum Injuries
    Replies: 30
    : 10-21-2009, 04:55 AM
  4. Taping the racket head for scratch protection?
    By knownotingurl in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 55
    : 02-16-2008, 10:34 PM
  5. cracking skin
    By ViningWolff in forum Injuries
    Replies: 28
    : 01-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •