is it a fault if a player does this?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by llpjlau, Apr 27, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

according to this section of the Laws of Badminton:
    deliberately distracts an opponent by any action such as shouting or making gestures;
    it is a fault.

and the situation goes like this:
    player A hits a clear to the back of the court
    player B in the course of the stroke shout and does a drop (instead of a perceived smash because of the shout)
    i think i've seen this a couple of times in Mens doubles. is it legal to shout as such?

2. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    i think it's only if the opposing team complains or something alongs the lines of that.

3. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I dont think so, you see it happen in professional play all the time especially with KKK and TBH when they smash. Its more of a fault when they say OUT or something of the lines to distract their opponents. I think this more so applies when player A hits it to player B and when player B is about to make a shot, player A shouts or gestures.

4. ixiaohoui

ixiaohoui Regular Member

Student
    Agreed, I think this rule is reserved for people who try to deliberately mislead a players's judgement when trying to make a line call. Other than this case, I can't think of anything else that would count as a fault for deliberately distracting an opponent, since I think a shout during a stroke is simply part of the shot disguise.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It seems that shouting while making your own shot is perfectly premissible, since it can't really distract the opponent (only mislead them). Shouting while the opponent is making their shot, however, would be (rightly) punished, as this could distract them.

In my opinion, shouting to disguise a drop shot, for example, is no different than any other form of deception. Also, imagine how boring the game would be if guys like Koo and Tan had to play in total silence:D.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i know this sounds weird, but a couple of juniors that i play against like to make....um....erotic noises while they play. it really really annoys the hell out of me, is that a fault? cos it's not like a normal shout where you urge yourself on, it's a deliberate attempt to distract your opponents. what do you do against that??

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

How about if a person constantly smiles at you :D? Sometimes it can be quite annoying as you know they're only doing it to provoke you.

8. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

It is distracting...

Somehow, when someone shots while playing a shot I always expect a smash or a toss. Of course, the shout is accompanied with a drop, which I would have easily returned had I not made an initial movement towards the back of the court.

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

are they hot chicks? if they are... wow. they go like "aahh.."

10. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Haha, nice idea I might try that tactic lol.

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I'm guessing you only face this situation in social games. If this were done in a tournament it would just look plain weird from the audience's point of view.

Hahaha I do it sometimes. With friends of course, they will go, "WHAT IS SO FUNNY?" and I'll just continue my all-knowing smile.

But in tournaments... do people have time to do distract their opponents just before their opponent hits? I mean maybe the audience can, but I doubt I can do it, will be too focused on seeing where and what my opponent hits to bother shouting/distracting him/her.

Based on that law I probably break it all the time(in social games only). I like to say, "Net, out, net, out, net, out" just before my opponent serves. I find it to be quite effective, they tend to get exasperated at me and make a mistake in serving(either hits the net, or goes out).:p

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yep hehe, only when we're playing socially :p. It sure would look very wierd in a tournament!

13. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Ah, gamesmanship!

It only bother you cuz you let it bother you -- don't let them have this kind of power over you -- try winking or throw them kisses instead -- that oughta diffuse those smiling fiends.

#13 SystemicAnomaly, Apr 28, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

lick the shuttle just before you serve ;)
    should confuse 'em :D

eitherway, with this kind of thing. Either learn to focus more, or beat them at their own game. Showing your irritation encourages those folks ;) (take a wild guess how I know that :p)

15. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    yuck that's not tasty!!! you have to put some soy sauce then lick it hehe now that's tasty lol!

16. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I just thought about something what would happen to the feather shuttlecock if you dipped the whole thing in soy sauce..anyone wanna test the results lol??

17. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    The high sodium content could be detrimental to the health of the shuttle:p

18. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Heh, nah I don't really react too much when people do the smiling thing. I know they're only doing it for fun :). But sometimes you just can't help but be put off a litte bit. Especially when you're trying to have a more serious game :p.

Licking the shuttle? That's new to me haha. Imagine someone trying that in a tournament...

19. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i would try licking it, if someone smiles at me with no reason.

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer