Weight lifting

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by killersmash, Apr 28, 2007.

1. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

Can anyone show me how to improve my forearm , bi ceps and tri ceps? i want to see how to lift the weights. for e.g. over your head? or what? best with video clip / pictures... ty:D
    K!LL3R $M@SH

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

3. killersmash

WOW! exactly what i wanted... i shows how to train every muscle... THANKS

K1LL3R $M@SH

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

that should be a sticky link

5. hardeep_21

hardeep_21 Regular Member

the link doesnt work for me :S

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Some new categories have appeared since I last looked on that site, including pronators and supinators :)D:D:D). Perhaps some badminton players sent an avalanche of requests...

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I remember that website. If you read it more carefully though, you'll understand that the information there is best suited for bodybuilders, and not even for all types of bodybuilders.

Remember that an athlete is better distinguished from a non-athlete by his/her movement skills, rather than by his/her body. That includes such skills as moving powerfully, or moving efficiently.

If you put the emphasis on the body parts trained, rather than the movements, you're taking away the emphasis from training for performance. For gifted athletes, that probably won't slow their progress down much. But for more ordinary people, it can make a big difference in how much you improve.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Very true. Exercising the muscles in isolation will help shot power to some extent, but won't ameliorate any problems with the stroke itself. Bad technique will only be compensated for by weight training up to a point, and that point will be WAY below what could potentially be achieved with good technique and weight training.

I think it's best to achieve the best technique you are capable of first, and THEN use weight training to build on this.

Also, although exrx clearly is aimed at bodybuilders, as stumblingfeet pointed out, it's the manner in which the exercises are done, rather than the exercises themselves, that lead to one outcome over the other (huge muscles or compact strength). Bodybuilders tend to lift as much as they can as many times as they can - any athlete who uses this approach is out of their mind!

9. stumblingfeet

Actually, the bodybuilding approach is to subject the muscles to long time under tension. This type of training lays down the foundation, the structural elements needed for strength. This type of training is also how most people who have weight trained train. However, while you may have the structural capacity for strength, this type of training does not directly target the ability to generate force.

Training to lift weights that are as heavy as possible increases your ability to generate force. This is important for most athletes, who typically want to maximize strength to weight ratio. It isn't unusual for most intermediate level athletes to benefit greatly from this type of training -> athletes which are simply too weak.

Once you have the ability to generate large forces, then your training shifts to being able to generate that force quickly. In many sporting movements the time in which you have to exert force is very limited -> so you need to make sure that you can execute movements at top speed. At the most basic level, this training can simply be part of sport training (ie technique practice). Very advanced athletes will use "shock training" to teach their bodies to move more quickly than what they're used to.

All this works together in a cycle: power -> hypertrophy -> strength -> power -> hypertrophy -> strength etc
    What you simply need to do figure where you're weakest, train that ability until gains slow down, then move on to the next step

10. killersmash

what bout badminton? which way to train

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

As sfeet suggests, your ultimate goal should be to combine training steadily for strength and then switching to performing movements as quickly and powerfully as possible (in keeping with badminton strokes).

This applies to wrists, biceps, thighs and calves especially, since these will need to be able to perform sudden movements with power.

12. BlinkNdSmashed

BlinkNdSmashed Regular Member

Student
    is there any excersices you can do to train the thighs? mainly quadriceps?

13. stumblingfeet

Why do you want to train the quadriceps?

Note that for most movements involving the legs, hip extension power is more important than knee extension power.

14. Eric Lin

Eric Lin Regular Member

High School Student
    I'm guessing, he wants a better jump smash >_> The answer to your question is:

Squats. Best Exercise for quadriceps. Trust me >_<