Shuttlecocks are seriously overpriced?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by vagpwner, Apr 28, 2007.

1. vagpwner

vagpwner Regular Member

I think they are. They run out so fast. By right they should be like 1 buck a pop. :D

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

agreed, it's about 20 dollars for a dozen (feather) over here. and it lasts about 1 session?

3. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

If you're talking about Yonex ones, then yea pretty much all yonex products are overpriced. Try a different brand.

4. vagpwner

vagpwner Regular Member

not only yonex. All. RSL, aeroplane, sosan arent that cheap as well. should be like 10 bucks a tube for tourney 1.

5. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    honestly, it's not that expensive when you and your friends pitch in together to buy it, unless you're the one supplying it.

6. vagpwner

vagpwner Regular Member

even so it is. 1 tube hardly lasts 1 session.

7. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Shuttlecocks don't last as long as tennis ball or ping-pong or baseball or basket ball, but what are you going to do about it? Start a company to make cheap and good flight shuttlecocks?

8. vagpwner

vagpwner Regular Member

well... sadly theres nothing we can do. Market rate...

9. Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool Regular Member

badminton
    agree...overpriced...!!!

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Badminton is not as cheap as jogging, etc. However, if you do bulk order with a small group, or play with decent plastic shuttles, you should still be able to enjoy the game to a good degree.

At least, badminton is not as expensive as golf (competitive level, not miniture ones :p )

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If well made shuttles, 1 tube should last at least 6-10 intensive MD games. Then, if 4 players split the cost, the $$$ is very limited. I doubt I can last 10 intensive MD games in any given day to begin with anyway. :cool:

12. CYW2006

CYW2006 Regular Member

yup...agree overpriced.....
    in my place Yonex AS30 retailing Rm63 per dozen.....
    really cant afford to play with it

13. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

I've heard from someone that if you steam the feather shuttlecocks, they become a lot more durable. However I've never tried it since I play with plastics most of the time, has anyone heard of this before?

14. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I don't understand this...pricing for shuttlecocks varies from region to region, country to country.

Here we have someone who said "1 tube hardly last one session" and everyone seems to agree. I would ask, what is one session? one hour, two hours, 3 hours or more?

Let's say you play doubles (4 players) and assume that you use 2 shuttles on average per game and each game last 15 to 20 minutes. So a tube of 12 shuttles will provide 6 games which is an hour and a half to two hours so if for a 3 hour session, you will use one and a half to two tubes (24 shuttles) with 4 players, that's half a tube each and at a price of CAD$20.00/tube, that's only $75.0 to $10.00 for 3 hours of activity plus the cost of drop-ins.

I would say that it's pretty decent. Not cheap but not too expensive as a round of golf can run you $50.00.

I would say that wasn't too expensive.

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Anyone who feels shuttles are overpriced.. Should consider to get into that business.. As it then should be possible to sell them at "the right" price and make alot of money...or??

/T

16. vtdl88

vtdl88 New Member

Dream job? Professional badminton player that get
    A nice shuttlecock costs $1.50 to $2.00 isn't too bad if it can last a game. Of course, that seems much when comparing to tennis balls, for example, but is cheap when comparing to golf balls. However, it is priceless when you ask the ducks and gooses ;)

17. Botanica

Botanica Regular Member

Heheh..personally, I find it expensive. Although we usually split the cost among us friends who play together, it'll still be pricey. Of course, it isn't as expensive as others like golf but when you're a student, I think you'll feel the pinch. That said, I am still playing badminton whenever I can. :) Also, we tend to only change the shuttles when it gets really, really worn. We usually do basic warm-ups and simple practices with the shuttles that are strewn on the courts by the previous players. :)

18. bukitimah

bukitimah New Member

Professional player
    I do agree shuttlecock are over priced since some of the lesser known brands are selling and almost half the cost of the brand like Yonex.

What I can't understand is, why can't they standardise the weight of the shuttle? If you are manufacturing shuttlecock for a living, I am sure you can control the standard of the shuttlecock to meet min standard.

Even Yonex has 1 to 5 model with varies in weight. I know the intension is for training, etc but can't we stick to one common weight?

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    But that is not "shuttles being overpriced" is it?? You mean some brands like Yonex are being overpriced...(and does this apply only to shuttles? Not rackets etc?? )

/T

20. bukitimah

bukitimah New Member

Professional player
    Sorry for adding confusion to the discussion. Yes, I mean shuttle cock in general are priced too high. What I am trying to say is, if a ordinary brand shuttle can cost less than S$1, Yonex with the quantity of shuttle sold all over the world can do it at that price too. :crying: