Defending Champion, Peter Gade, well rested, eyes back to back

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by ants, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Straight from Aviva SO.

Singapore, 30 April 2007 - Peter Gade, the Aviva Singapore Open
    defending men's singles champion, is looking forward to a back to back title.
    The 31-year old from Denmark arrived in Singapore yesterday feeling
    confident after six weeks of preparation back home in anticipation of a
    consecutive crown at the first Olympic Qualifying at the Indoor stadium which starts today.

Gade, the reigning European champion and ranked No 7 in the world, open his campaign with a first round match against Malaysia's Ismail Sarman, which he is expected to get past before the much talked about match against Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat in the second round.

"That's what the new Super Series is all about. Matches will be
    difficult right from the opening round and I am not suprised that I have to play Taufik in the second round."

"But I am well prepared. After winning the Malaysian Open in January, I
    went to the All-England and then the Swiss Open which I didn't do too
    well. Which means I need to improve myself and the past six weeks had provided ample time for me to train and prepare myself for Singapore," said Gade.
    Gade, Denmark's No 1 and Europe's hope to topple the mighty Chinese,
    won last year's Aviva Singapore Open with a victory over countryman
    Kenneth Jonassen.
    But he admits that as the years roll by and with age catching up, it's
    getting difficult to stay at the top of his game throughout the entire
    season.

"I have reached a stage where I need to pick and choose which
    tournament I want to concentrate on and try to win rather than play in all the tournaments and end up losing in the semi-finals."

"But I have successfully defended titles before. The Chinese Taipei
    Open and also the Korean Open are two good examples and I think I can do it here this time," said Gade.

But he also knows that the shadows of the world No 1 Lin Dan is lurking in the background and will pose a serious threat to the rest. Lin Dan together with his girlfriend Xie Xinfang who is also the world No 1 in women's singles, met the media today upon their arrival in Singapore
    stating their intentions to win.

The reigning world champion has never won in Singapore before despite his long list of honours elsewhere which includes the 2007 All-England and the German and Korean Open title.

"I take it as a challenge to win here but playing in South East Asia is
    quite demanding. The weather is hot and humid and in the air
    conditioned hall they tend to put the fan speed at full blast which causes a draft and affects the flight of the shuttle,' said Lin Dan.

While there is Lin Dan and Gade to grace the US$200,000 meet, there is also Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat, a two-time winner here. Taufik whose recent victory in the Asian Badminton Championship last month has made the others wary of him, announced his readiness to take the Singapore crown for the third time.

"I couldn't make it last year because of some personal problems but I
    am ready this time and ready to give my best," said Taufik.

Just as ready to win is France's Pi Hongyan, the defending women's
    singles champion depite the towering presence of the mighty Chinese which includes the World No 2 Zhang Ning.

"Nothing is easy in the Super series and it's not an easy draw. But I
    have got nothing to lose and at 28, I want to fulfill my ambition and
    give my best before I retire," said Pi.

But retirement is the furthest thing on the minds of the two
    Malaysians, Koo Kim Keat and Tan Boon Heong as they try to establish their footing in world badminton. The Doha Asian Games gold medallist and also the reigning All-England champion, is the much talked about combination in men's doubles these days and they are expected to do well at the Aviva Singapore Open.

"People expect a lot from us but we cannot be winning all the time. But the good thing is that after winning the Asian Games and All England title, our confidence has been given a boost and that's good for us."

"Giving our best remains our philosophy and approach to the game and it will be no different in Singapore," said Kien Keat.

#1 ants, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Im looking forward for the match of PETER GADE vs TAUFIK HIDAYAT. Yeah, another interesting game going on :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.