Vancouver's newest hot spots: badminton clubs

Discussion in 'RichmondPro Badminton Centre' started by madbad, May 2, 2007.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Source: Badminton Alberta website

April 27, 2007
    Article appearing in Thursday's edition of Globe & Mail. Written by Adriana Barton

April 26, 2007 at 9:35 AM EDT

VANCOUVER — When Gary Yang goes out on weekends, he likes to hang out with his buddies until 3 or 4 a.m. -- but he's not exactly partying.

Instead, he spends the night smashing shuttles across a net with his racquet. "I don't go clubbing," says Mr. Yang, a 33-year-old sports-equipment salesperson. "I'd rather play badminton."

Mr. Yang is among a growing number of B.C. badminton fans who can't get enough of the sport and often play into the wee hours. Popular among Asians, badminton is now played in almost every community centre in Greater Vancouver.

To meet growing demand, four new private badminton clubs have sprung up during the past three years in Richmond, a predominantly Asian suburb of Vancouver. The newly opened RichmondPro Badminton Centre, with 15 courts, is North America's largest private badminton facility.

While Ontario still has more badminton clubs and players than other provinces, the sport is growing faster in British Columbia, says Kyle Hunter, who co-ordinates tournaments for Badminton Canada.

The nocturnal games, he adds, are "more of a B.C. thing."

Avid players whack birdies until 3 a.m. on weekends at Richmond's Yumo Badminton Centre. Others haunt the seasoned Vancouver Racquets Club, open to members 24 hours a day.

Mr. Yang says Yumo, which opened in September, 2006, is the place to be on a Saturday night because that's when the high-powered players show up. After sweating through half a dozen sets of doubles, everyone goes out to eat seafood hotpot at a nearby restaurant until 4 a.m.

At the Vancouver Racquets Club, each of the 1,300 or so members gets a key to the facility and can play badminton whenever the mood strikes. Few members play at 4 a.m. but plenty start at 6 a.m., while others play well past midnight, says Robert Trepanier, executive director of the non-profit facility. The club's badminton memberships have been full for the past four years and about 35 players are on the waiting list, he says.

The sport is taking off in B.C. schools as well. At the high-school level, the number of senior tournaments has doubled to 200 over the past six years, says Mike Charlton, badminton commissioner for B.C. School Sports and a teacher, coach and vice-principal at J.N. Burnett Secondary School in Richmond.

And at the college level, B.C. players swept every gold medal at the 2007 National Badminton Championships, held in Richmond in March (at RichmondPro actually :D ).

In China and Taiwan, top badminton players are idolized as national heroes and 24-hour badminton courts are commonplace, says Mr. Yang, who travels to Asia regularly to visit family. Born in Vancouver, Mr. Yang learned the game at age 5 from his Chinese-immigrant parents.

But in North America, badminton has yet to shed its image as a lightweight sport. Most people still see it as a backyard game "where you hit and giggle," says Jeff White, executive director of Badminton Canada.

The official game is far from the backyard version, Mr. White explains. Badminton is an intense workout that requires agility, strategy and excellent hand-eye co-ordination, he says. It's become a favourite cross-training activity for athletes such as 24-year-old NHL hockey player Duncan Milroy, who was a Canadian badminton champion as a teenager.

The sport would draw more players and spectators in North America "if people deemed it hip," Mr. White says.

Vancouverite Tom Luong sometimes plays badminton up to six times a week. Mr. Luong says he used to hit the badminton courts well past midnight, but he had to cut down recently. "I was having sleeping difficulties because of it," he explains.

Now, he says, he only plays late-night badminton "once in a blue moon, when I get desperate."

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I drooled reading that.
    I may go buy a copy of thursday's globe and mail, and read the sport section for the very first time.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Madbad,
    You beat me to it. I was going to post that last night but the server crashed.

;)

For those who might not know. The Gary Yang referred to in the article is the guy at Tad's.

#3 Winex West Can, May 2, 2007
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You should come over and check out the action first hand... and drool:D :D :D

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    You know why Gary has to go to YUMO? VLTBC is closed before midnight :D.

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    hehe I had a hunch it was him. I'm a friend of Gary.

7. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

hehe badminton is getting big in bc tis good, ive noticed many " adults" that have never played before have also been taken by the sport

8. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    AWW invite me matt LOL...

9. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    man i wish i lived in BC

10. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Good read... Maybe it's time for me to move back to BC?

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It's about time :p. We need more buddies for early breakfast and torture sessions.

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Did anyone buy the Globe & Mail today? Read the article?

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    No, we are expecting you to and scan the page. Post it on BF :D!

14. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
  15. jjengineer

jjengineer Regular Member

student
    very nice publicity for badminton !

16. fshprose

fshprose Regular Member

RN
    badminton club or court

hi....can ask you? coz im quiet new here in north vancouver. do you know any place to play badminton near my place? and i would like to meet new buddies, got no friends here yet.

17. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Vancouver has a 24 Hr badminton Gym? Wow. I gotta go sometimes next year. Hang out with Pete..:D

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Google John Braithwaite center or north vancouver badminton. There are drop-in sessions in north Van.

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Hi Master Viper :D. VRC is similar to SGVBC: both are 24 hours a day and 365 days a year dedicated badminton facility. Why not drop by this summer :D? And bring the big Panda along :p:cool::D.

#19 Pete LSD, Jun 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-If..

..Master Viper is hitching a ride, then he might've to take a ride on Master NGP's bike to save up on the gas...:p:D;)

#20 ctjcad, Jun 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2007