Aviva Open Singapore 2007 Pictures

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by Loh, May 2, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SIS Bids All A Warm Welcome

Our elegant diamond-shaped SIS (Singapore Indoor Stadium) once again opens its doors to the badminton fraternity for this year's special Super Series (SS) that will see the start of the players vying intensely for Beijing Olympics qualifying points.

Only the top ranked players are admitted to the main draw and many are trying hard to fight for admission through the qualifiers, with some having to play as many as three matches in a day - morning, afternoon and evening!

Former world number 1, Wong Choong Hann, was not spared either and he endured the ignominy of having to qualify for yet another SS because of the injury sustained to his Achilles tendon during the last Thomas Cup competition. This time WCH had only to play two matches in the qualifiers, which he won easily and even sailed through Round 1 yesterday by beating Richard Vaughan (Wales) 21-18, 21-16.

Here are some pictures on the venue:

Attached Files:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks Loh for the photos!

i am surprised they are still doing construction near SIS. hasn't that been the case since 2004??

3. kyiyu

kyiyu Regular Member

General Manager
    Yeah! It was started Year 2002 but it was not noticable at the beginning as most of the work were underground. This is for the underground Mass Rapid Transit (Train). It should be over before next year. But one more major construction (demolition of existing national outdoor stadium and re-construction of a new) will be commenced a few months later. It will take more 3-4 years. So it should not be surprised if you see them in next years also.:D

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh i c. i thought they were just fixing the road...

but that's a good development. taking the taxi to the SIS was not very economical...

5. kyiyu

kyiyu Regular Member

General Manager
    Next time, you may take a easy ride with the train to stadium.
    No traffic, faster and cheaper too.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

As a matter of fact..

...the query asked by kwun is somewhat discussed in one of last yr's S'pore Open's thread(involving Loh, kyiyu, myself and others). I believe in this link: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33674 ;)
    Btw, yes, an MRT to and from Kallang(SIS) area would be much appreciated. I had the same experience of taking a taxi to and from Kallang(SIS) area, after studying the MRT route and realized the MRT service ended a few miles from SIS; and the only way for me to reach SIS, from that MRT Kallang stop, is either to take a bus or taxi or walk:p..thankfully taxis are pretty much abound there, albeit a bit on the costly side..:p:(

#6 ctjcad, May 2, 2007
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Some Pics on the Qualifying Rounds

Most times the qualifying rounds receive scant attention. But the qualifiers really fought long and hard before four each from all the five events can advance to the main draw by having to play two to three matches in just one day.

Of a total 58 matches played, 22 matches or 38% went into rubber games, with 7 matches coming from the final round before the winners gained entry to the main draw.

Apart from Wong Choong Hann having to qualify, another great name is Zhou Mi, a former Singapore Open champion who is making a comeback from back injury and now representing Hong Kong. Whilst WCH made it to R2 yesterday, ZM was unfortunately knocked out by no other than ex-compatriot, Pi Hongyan (France #6) in three hard fought games, 19-21, 21-17, 22-20. Maybe Pi's request for time to attend to her ankle injury during the remaining few points made ZM lose her rhythm and focus. Many thought ZM should have won.

Local boy Aaron Tan caused a slight ripple when he overcame Indonesia's top junior, Tommy Sugiarto, son of Indonesia's former top singles player, Icuk Sugiarto, 11-2, 21-16, 21-19. But Aaron later succumbed to Vietnam's top player, Nguyen Tien Minh, 21-14, 21-15. NTM unfortunately lost to another up-and-coming Indonesian player, Alymshah in straight games for a slot in the main draw.

Other notable names that advanced included Lee Yun Hwa (Korea), Lydia Cheah (Malaysia) and Cheng Shao-Chieh (Taipeh) for WS. Only one Singapore WD pair made it to the main draw. Vanessa Neo and Shinta Mulia Sari did not have to play Fiona McKee and Charmaine Reid of Canada as the latter were promoted to the main draw, presumably because of late withdrawals. But the Singaporean pair managed to beat Ng Hui Lin and Woon Khe Wei (Malaysia) 23-21, 24-22 earlier.

Specially taken for Yannie are some pics on Malaysian player, Gan Teik Chai, in his XD partnership with Haw Chiou Hwee, who looks like Zhou Mi.

Lastly, there's a special BC member who was caught on camera holding a camera. Can you guess his name?

Attached Files:

#7 Loh, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thanks for the new pics...

..Loh:cool: ..Looking at the pic, esp. the 1st pic, the player resembles a bit like Howard Bach(U.S. player)..While on the 3rd pic, below that, notice the coach sitting behind the player, he looks eerily similar to Li Mao?!?!:eek::confused: :rolleyes: ;) ..Btw, the "special" BC member carrying that camera in the last pic, hmm, let me guess, could he be none other than Mr. Raphael Sachetat(BWF's official photographer)??..:confused: :p ;)

9. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Hahahahaha. Not only for me, mainly for my friend. She is too shy to the request in here, so I request for Gan pics. Haw Chiou Hwee is playing WD with Lim Yin Loo.

BC member: Raphael Sachetat. :D

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    But Chris, did you spot Hendrawan?

11. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Loh, any MD pictures? *shy*

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Haha..

:)..that's what i meant, just testing you or anyone else..haha:p:D;)..In the first pic, he disappeared, but then reappeared to do his LiMao impersonation..:p;)
    Oh, so that's Tommy Sugiarto, got a much clearer picture now...;) :cool:

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

oho, so that's the infamous raph .... he must be having a field day in singapore!

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    More XD Qualifying Rounds Pics

Just you watch the German couple! And Mr Gan and partner as well! ;)

Attached Files:

15. mmooww

mmooww Regular Member

wow.. so many msia youngsters pics!!!
    hahahahahaaa

16. Dimplex

Dimplex Regular Member

student
    great pictures Loh

17. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

you can see Hendrawan at the picture behind Tommy Sugiarto.

my friend take a picture with Hendrawan during Qualification round (after Tommy defeated).
    he came with his wife and his son and daughter.

18. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Great pics!So,up to today,what's the classments?

19. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    nice pics. thnx

20. Louisia_th

Louisia_th Regular Member

Thanks for nice pics.
    I support yannie,any MD pics?