Need ADVICE!! Upgrading from MP88... NS7700 maybe?!?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Fumoffuu, May 3, 2007.

1. Fumoffuu

Fumoffuu Regular Member

studies!! studies!! studies!!
    Ok! i have realized yonex removed both MP88 and MP100 from their catalogue which means MP88s gonna be sold out very soon. I could try stock up on MP88s but I believe it would be better for me to upgrade to a new racquet but the thing is that I want a racquet very similar to MP88.. any recommendations from MP88 users who switched to another racquet.

I have thought of NS7700 but looking at Ants.. i'm still hesitating.

MP88 is reputable for its defense, control + netgame but looking at Ants review.. it seems NS7700 does great for defense but only so so for control/netgame becoz of information filtering from the VFC

Also, as for my MP88, i know many ppl mistake its lightness and label it head-light but when using MP88.. i can feel it's slightly head heavy and even yonex says it is and that's a feel i really appreciate.. "head-heavy" yet with an ultra-light weight. From what I read, NS7700 seems to be very light too and easy to swing but head-heavy/light or even-balance... i would appreciate if ppl could lighten me up on that. I read some say it's slightly head-heavy.. does Yonex label it as head-heavy or head-light though? coz for MP88, it's clearly written on the shaft that it's head-heavy.

Also, I kinda love the thing about slim shaft from MP88, gives me a real good feel. But to what I guess.. NS7700 isnt slim shaft but it's just my guess, can some1 confirm or tell me if i'm wrong. Any other options I have for a slim shaft racquet too?

Other than that.. I'm pretty sure NS7700 remains very similar to MP88 and a few feedback from BC peeps would be very appreciative.. thx :)

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I used to have so much expectation for NS7700 and even thought about give up my cab30ms for it. However, after a brief drill (borrowed from a friend), I left with disapointment.

The shaft of NS7700 feels very stiff, well the racket feel more even balanced to me (could because of the thick overgrip my friend has). I know the result might be varied, due to the larger grip size and higher tension, but somehow, I just feel the swing is not as smooth as I expected. Therefore, I gave up the idea, even though, I love the feeling for drive.

Try to demo it if possible, as the reviews are from personal experiences, and everyone has his/her standard and definition of "comfortable range".

3. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    It really sounds like you'd want to try a Ti-10. Though, personally, I haven't laid my hands on one. I was going to get one, but decided otherwise; not due to any unseemly reason. You might have to adjust to the stiffness, though.

4. vagpwner

vagpwner Regular Member

At700. not THAT stiff and is ultra light while being head heavy

5. Shuttlekok

Shuttlekok Regular Member

I have used MP99 and MP88... prefer MP88 as it's head heavy. Confirmed.
    MP99 is more even balanced.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

from my personal Hand & eye's test (no playing, also with a entirely different string/grip) the at700 is a lot headheavier that the mp88...Actually, compared to the AT500/700/800 I find the mp88 quite even balanced (relatively)

though the flex is pretty alike I admit.

Fumoffuu, have you ever tried the AT300 or AT700? can you try one? I udnerstand the ns77 is a bit hard to find at the moment at a local club (I haven't seen one yet...and I played some tourney's and stuff)

7. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

What about the NS8000 or MP99? I'd recommend u try them first.

8. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    Personally, i have not tried the mp88 but i currently own the ns 7700 and for a fact the shaft is a bit stiffer( yonex classifies it as medium stiffness). Even though the racket says headlight..its actually head heavy when you hold it in ur hands but when u play..it doesnt feel head heavy at all..but more even balanced. In terms of defense..it is AWESOME! Power is great as well..effortless because of the medium stiff shaft. As for control, at first it was kinda hard to adjust to it but if u give it some time, you'll realize how good of a racket this is. On the plus side, this racket is good for singles as well as doubles ^____^

9. Fumoffuu

Fumoffuu Regular Member

thx for the comments guys! i appreciate it. I have tried AT700 + MP99 before and previously owned a MP99 which i sold to a friend coz i didnt find them suitable for me. I find MP99 too stiff. I really would like an ultra light with not too much stiffness in my racket... might have to stock up on my mp88..
    I'll try to give NS7700 a try but its hard to find anyone owning one right now. NS8000 might be an option to consider too :)

But just to confirm.. there's no nanospeed racquet with slim shaft feature right?

10. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    Ns 8000 will be weird to play with at first as i did own one 2 weeks ago but sold it because it didnt feel right to me =/ IMO the ns8000 more of a singles racket but will take time to get used to it. Btw, the ns8000 has a slim shaft and ns7700 does not. But really, if u get the chance, try out the ns7700 first b4 buying....but i didnt because everything suited me perfectly =] Good luck!

11. Fumoffuu

Fumoffuu Regular Member

I think peter gade wanted to switch from mp88 to ns8000 right? but he didnt like the ns8000 i think and reverted back...
    peter gade still with his mp88 i guess..?

Or maybe i should go with AT900T.. i luv the color!! but i'm scared it's too stiff and head-heavy.. but if AT900T has a slim shaft.. i might consider :p
    but i'll definitely and seriously want to try the ns7700, i want a medium flex racquet..

thx everyone :)

12. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    i believe either he uses the mp88 or the at 700? But dont take my word for it. As for the At900t...very good racket! I tried my friends just recently and that thing is like a power house, yet my arm doesnt even feel tired. Very easy to maneuver around the court. Its perfect imo =] Only thing i dont like abt it is the price >.<

13. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Peter Gade uses the AT 700, like most top singles players and doubles players.