Edit 1st post?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by disturbed baddy, May 3, 2007.

1. disturbed baddy

disturbed baddy Regular Member

Student
    It would be nice to be able to edit the 1st post of threads. so for example you could add items if it were a list and correct any spelling mistakes. I know it is possible to edit posts for a while after you post. If you could edit posts anytime after posting it would save forum space. and be alot more convinient for people trying to find information.

thnx for your time.

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    You can, but the moderators do not want to do that. This kind of question has been asked before and it won't happen.

Personally I've mentioned about it too since other forums I go do, allow you to edit anytime. These other forums I'm referring to like are AV related which has a lot of users and is constantly moderated.

3. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps we need more moderators?

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Possibly more mods,then you can get rid of those people who posts those spam adsa lot quicker (yeah you know what I mean). Also when the server has issues, that could be addressed faster.

No time limit for editing for the win.

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Yes I have read through the linked post about why not to have editing, but it just seems silly to me since:
    - it is likely during a discussion you quote the person you are replying to, especially when you have a bunch of people arguing against something
    - confusion from an edited post shouldn't be too much of an issue since incoherency in a singular opening post is a very fine indicator that it was edited, not to mention that editing a post leaves a time stamp.

Now for positive uses:
    - FAQ lists, I once thought about creating a FAQ list in the equipment forum so that major debate threads about x racket could be formatted and people wouldn't need to ask the same question 20 times, but alas trying to formulate a post like that is a word over time and can't be done in an efficient manner
    - Equipment reviews (ie. dinks post), I don't know about other people, but I really dislike having to go page fishing to try and find the most recent chart, it'd be great if it was just on the front page.

- So basically, any post which is a collection of information becomes a hassle to create because of the no edit. It means that *confusion* is caused because updated information has to be posted on page 13 instead of page 1 where it should logically be. For example, the Smash Manga post. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have the opening post list released chapters and where to download? Well, it's not. The links are sitting on pages 4 and 8 i think.

So to sum it up, no editing (after 15 min) limits post to only discussion. Guides, FAQS, and any other post which is a collection of information collected over time becomes confusing and hard to maintain.

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I definately agree because I find i unfair because if someting needs to be updated on the start post, take for example Dink's string review, he has a new chart, it has to be updated by a admin/mod, as Dink himself cannot do it.

psst..... Dummy. AVS Forum, no editing restrictions. Gotta love it.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just want to chip in..

..a Search or doing a search would probably solve the issue:)..Hmm, i wonder if it's any possible for kwun to create a short & simple message, yet quite obvious, prior to anyone starting a thread. It would say something like "Have you done a Search??"...;):)
    ..for this one, what i would do is to upload my images/charts/graphs to a different web storage server(ie. imageshack, photobucket) and link them to here. It will take 1 or 2 more steps, but that way, if i want to update and/or change my file(s), i can do so without asking kwun and it will update automatically. Albeit i have to use the same file name as before.;)

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    ctjcad,

That idea would be viable as well. I did not think much about it since it is like sort of out of the box.

10. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

why make something so complicated when all we need is only the permission to edit. This is the one and the only one forum that I come across and doesn't allow you to edit. :mad:

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yes, i can understand..

...and i've wondered the same thing when i first joined this forum...;)
    Btw, it's more of a hassle than being complicated..;)..The suggestion is just one option in response to Matt's & Dummey's requests..;)
    However, if you want to know what is/are the reason(s) we have a limited time to edit our post(s), then you've gotta ask kwun/mods and/or wait for the response(s)..;)..My only hunch is, they probably don't want us to go back, to our earlier post(s), and edit/add new stuff after being "untouched" for a while-->got to do with the moderating?!?!..:confused:

#11 ctjcad, Jun 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I've heard one of the reasons a long time ago (I don't remember the exact quote), but it was something along the lines of, it is like a recording. However, that is unfair because admin/mod edit can their own posts, which some of us have seen, but in the post itself it does not say it was edited.

13. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I agree, I think maybe one of the admin / moderator should leave a comment to clarify the reason for not allowing users to edit.

In my opinion, there are always good and bad sides on each subject, but in this case I found there are more positive effect to enable editing rather than disabling it.

Peace ;)

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    The good side of allowing edits - the original owner of the thread can do frequent updates to the the title ie. "China Open 2007", can now evolve:

China Open 2007
    China Open 2007 SF : MS SF1 - Lin Dan bt Bao CL 21-19, 21-19
    China Open 2007 SF : MS SF2 - Lee CW bt Peter Gade 21 - 17, 17- 21, 21 - 18
    etc... etc...

At the moment the mods aren't overwhelmed with requests and reason to do so yet, but once the place really becomes busy enough to warrant it (as well as the level of user's responsibility), then maybe.