Ti5 vs Ti7

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Booger, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Booger

Booger Guest

Does anyone have an opionion, which one is better?

2. Jason

Jason Guest

i tried a Ti7 last night... all i can tell u is that it generates a lot of power for smashes... but it's heavy... so flower reflexes i guess.... u have to get oppinions on the Ti5 from other people.. cuz i really dont know.. sorry~

3. Valentino

Valentino Guest

hey jason i tried an Ti-6 from my cousin and its great, but they dont make it anymore, is the Ti-7 its replacement? if it is im gonna buy me one!

4. Jason

Jason Guest

actually... i have no idea if it's the replacement for Ti-6..... but i guess it might be... if the Ti6 is discontinued... cuz it makes sense~

5. jim

jim Regular Member

I have a Ti-5 light, MP77 and SP SA.

Ti-5 light is noticeably weaker in clearing and smashs comparing to MP77. I have to make sure I do a proper stroke (ie standing at the right position, turn my hip/shoulder/wrist ...etc ) in order to baseline clears.

Ti-5 light is also stiffer than SP SA, so when you need to do quick drives at the net or defend smashs, it's harder to go as fast or high respectively.

Note that I am comparing Ti-5 with top end Yonex rackets though. I think it's a good racket for a beginner/intermediate player. However, if you have very very good progress, you may find yourself grow out of it rather quickly.

Good luck in your selection.

6. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Regular Member

Management consultant
    Jim:
    How do you compare your MP77 with SP SA? I am using a SP SS and am very happy with the racket. At one point was considering the MP77 & Ti7 and I wonder if I have made the correct decision going with the SP.

Regards...

7. melissa

melissa Guest

Well, I just recently went searching for a new racquet and actually was comparing those two exact racquets! well, the Ti-5 Light, is really nice and light and easy to manuever. but it is definitely lacking power compared to the Ti7 which is, on the other hand, much heavier. I went ahead and went with the Ti5 which was about $35 cheaper! hehe! which slightly attributed to the fact that i go that instead, saying i am still 14, my parents are still paying for my racquets! I would've liked getting both though because i'm sure that once my wrist got used to the weight of the Ti7, it would've been a really powerful racquet. The Ti5 is still a great racquet tho, and don't understand why so many people hate it so much! well that's all i have to say!

8. jim

jim Regular Member

MP77 vs SP SA

Oh, MP77 and SP SA are very different when played.

MP77, noticeably gives you more (much more) power in clearing and smashes. You can be a little bit slack in your posture and body movement and still get good clear and smash.

I find it relatively harder for me to do long clear and good smash with SP SA.

However, MP77 is so much heavier and stiffer, when doing quick net drives, i have to make sure i swing the racket with full use of my wrist in order to do powerful returns. SP SA on the other hand, doesn't have this problem, i can swing the racket a little and the flexible shaft would help me "push" the shuttle forward.

I tried my friends' SP SS a little. Found it not as powerful as MP77, but it's a lot lighter so it's much easier to move around.

Of course it's all my personal opinion, others may or may not agree with me.

Cheers

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Melissa, don't pay too much attention to what others may say about your racquet. If you're comfortable with it then it's right for you. I've played with the Ti-5 and I found it really nice, especially considering the price. And I had no problems generating hard smashes or deep clears with it either... Being 14 years old I think you're better off with a light 3U racquet (such as the Ti-5 Light) than a heavy 2U racquet anyway!

Also keep in mind that in my experience, playing with a light racquet will develop your technical skills faster. It is easier to "cheat" and get away with bad technique with a little heavier racquet.

Happy playing!

10. DimSum

DimSum Guest

Say i just a got a chance to try these two rackets...! I found the Ti 5 to be light more control then Ti7 but smashing is a bit slower then the Ti 7. Yes the Ti 7 is a tiny bit heavier. I found it to be more powerfull then the Ti 5 and one of the other swing power rackets made by yonex. I might stick with Victor ...i'm kind of use to that racket ! Not to say that these rackets are not good..they are...but not for me !

Happy smashing !