whats the best way to stall time?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by llpjlau, May 4, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

hi, whats the best way to stall time in a match?
    in fact, what are all the ways i can stall time (to regain energy of course) ?
    i know it may be annoying for some.

eg. picking up the shuttle slowly...walking slowly to the shuttle...what other ways ?

of course not excessively.

thanks.

2. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

when you hit the net and it is the opponent's service dont pick up the shuttle... if it hits the net it will be around the middle of the court... so it is not showing lousy sportsmanship. you can ask to tighten your shoe lace

3. Paulet jr

Paulet jr Regular Member

student
    i find a good way is, especially in 3rd set, fall to the ground (ie diving for the shuttle) then you can ask to wipe the court.
    other ways could be wiping your grip, or shoes,just say thier slippery.
    if its doubles, ask the umpires questions like, am i standing on the right side? or is he supposed to be serving. most of the time they will have to check the score sheet and that can take a little while, which gives to time to take a breath.
    after saying all that, its kinda bad sportsman ship and i dont suggest doing them unless you are really buggered.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    watch Lin Dan, he's the mmmmmmmassster of delaying time. asking for a wipe down even when he'll get refused, getting the floor wet, changing shuttles. one really good one is, even if it's the opponents service, take the shuttle. do a lap of honour around your court. hand the shuttle over. do another lap of honour. then get set. if he serves before 2 seconds, play a let. :D :D perffffect

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

The most annoying one only works against near-blind opponents (joke...). But it's fun when it works.
    after the usual staling (pick up the shuttle slowly, ask for a change perhaps, take a drink, towel down, whipe your shoes, ty your laces) stand ready on the wrong side of the court, apologize.
    then the real magic: stand ready, racket up, but keep your head down and your left hand (wait!) up.
    If your 'lucky' the opponent already serves, you indicated your not ready, play a let.
    ánd you get to pick up the shuttle (slowly) again, hand it over the net personally (don't hit it!) and stand ready, and repear until he waits for you... You should by then be well rested and your opponent slightly unnerved...

Recommendation: Don't park your car/bike near the gym exit ;) Or make sure you leave before he does :p

6. juris

juris Regular Member

night stalker
    LOL!!!! Nice One Jerby!!!

7. Chire

Chire Regular Member

It would actually be quite disadvantageous for Lin Dan to delay the match by stalling the time after the rallies since his stamina is one of the best on the pro circuit. You actually very rarely even see him open his mouth to breathe, unlike many other players.

In my opinion simple logic usually wins.
    I think it's actually only reasonable to ask the court to be swept after diving there. Plus I remember Lin Dan trying to serve without walking that "lap of honour", well that circle anyways, and the umpire actually told Lin Dan to walk that circle after every rally played (this was at semi-finals of WC2005).

I don't think he changes the shuttle to gain some extra time either, it's just simply because the players need a new one. In addition to that, the other player doesn't necessarily have to agree with him. And when the players pick up the shuttle and keep it for a while before handing it over to the opponent, they straighten the feathers for the shuttle to fly better.

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

fake an injury and ask the physio to come out and have a look?

or just say you ate something foul and need to go do a number 2?

:D :p

9. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

When you hit the shuttle back to your opponent, "accidentally" mishit it into the net so you have to walk to the shuttle again, and smoothen the feathers again before attempting to hit it over the net to your opponent again =p

10. prothobs

prothobs Regular Member

Student
    Stalling isn't always for catching your breath, I think lots of the time they do it to stop the opponenent's momentum or get into the other player's head.
    Same thing goes for changing the bird.

11. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

Tie your shoes lace or request to wept your sweat
    Or if you are as rich as Bill Gates,then purposely spoil your racket and change a new one. ;_)

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    wipe your sweat outside the court (walking in and out slowly)
    rub your shoes against the floor

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hm.... ask for time out, 90 secs. enough?

14. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    Here's what I do:
    After you get tired, your next rally, dive for the bird, miss and lay down for like 5 seconds, then slowly get up.

15. macauboy

macauboy Regular Member

student
    stroke the shuttle .. is that how u say it when u try to make the feathers better cause there out of align ment?

16. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

ya...i think so