Roslin to BAM: Pay back

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ixory, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Roslin to BAM: Pay back
    The star online

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Shuttler Mohd Roslin Hashim wants a place in the squad for the World Championships as one of the compensations from the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) for omitting his name from the two major tournaments in Singapore and Indonesia.
    Roslin also announced monetary demands that could earn him about RM300,000 from the BAM after meeting Sports Commissioner Tan Sri Elyas Omar at his office in Bukit Jalil yesterday.
    Also present during the 30-minute meeting was his club Nusa Mahsuri’s president Jalani Sidek.
    Roslin’s other demands include BAM to pay his sponsor’s penalty fee of RM70,000; a total prize money of US$32,000 – the prize money for the men singles champions of the ongoing Singapore Open and next week’s Indonesian Open; Nusa Mahsuri’s RM5,000 incentive for winning in the back-to-back tournaments; and finally the BAM to bear the cost for his future participation in all tournaments that offer Olympic qualifying points in the next one year.
    He wants the BAM to pay his sponsor’s penalty fee because Yonex slashes 10% from the total sponsorship deal for Nusa Mahsuri if any of the club’s player misses a tournament without a valid reason.
    Roslin has to pay a total of RM70,000 penalty for missing the two tournaments.
    After threatening to sue the BAM and then deciding otherwise, Roslin said he is now using the proper channel in taking the BAM to task for making the mistake of not submitting his entries for the two major meets.
    “Initially, I was angry and my only thought was to sue the BAM. I was emotional.
    “But after Datuk Azalina's (Othman Said, Sports Minister) advice three days ago, I am using the Sports Commissioner as a channel to solve my problem. I did not know about this (medium) earlier,” said Roslin.
    As a professional player, Roslin, currently ranked 18th in the world, feels that he has the right to seek compensation from the BAM. And he does not feel that he has gone overboard with his demands.
    Roslin said that he had suffered losses in terms of monetary income and opportunities to enhance his badminton career.
    “I have explained to Tan Sri of my grouses and stated what I want from the BAM. I have been given assurance that my problem will be looked into,” he said.
    “The two tournaments were used as yardstick to finalise the third singles player for the World Championships (to be held at Kuala Lumpur's Putra Stadium from Aug 13-19). I have lost that opportunity and my world ranking will drop further. Now, I want the BAM to give me a spot in the squad for the world meet,” said Roslin.
    Although three players - Lee Chong Wei, Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Lee Tsuen Seng have qualified for the world meet by virtue of being the top three ranked player based on the May 3 world rankings, the BAM can finalise the line-up before the June 25 deadline.
    Of all his demands yesterday, Roslin said that the priority was getting compensated for losing valuable Olympic qualifying points.
    “My ultimate goal is to qualify for the next year’s Olympic Games (in Beijing). I have lost a chance to get a head start during the Olympic qualifying period. I hope that BAM will compensate by taking care of all my expenses when I take part in other tournaments that offer Olympic qualifying points,” he said.
    “I will only pursue a lawsuit if the Sports Commissioner cannot solve the problem. I am not taking advantage of the situation but I believe I have the right.”
    Roslin’s next assignment is the New Zealand Open from May 15-20 in Auckland. He hopes to win it to ensure that his world ranking does not take a huge plunge.
    ROSLIN'S DEMAND Prize money for the men’s singles champion in the Singapore and Indonesian Opens amounting to US$32,000.
    Nusa Mahsuri’s cash incentive of RM5,000 for winning the Singapore and Indonesian Opens.
    RM70,000 penalty fee imposed by sponsors for his failure to compete in Singapore and Indonesian Opens without valid reasons.
    The BAM to bear the cost for all his trips to the tournaments that offer Olympic qualifying points (including flight and accommodation).
    A place in the squad for the World Championships which will be held at Kuala Lumpur’s Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from Aug 13-19.</B> (Note: The BAM spend an average of RM2,500 to RM6,000 per player for an international tournament. It varies depending on the venue of the tournament. Taking into account the above, Roslin’s demands in cash and kind is around RM300,000.

2. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Elyas will call BAM to hear their version

the star online

KUALA LUMPUR: Sports Commissioner Tan Sri Elyas Omar will call on the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) for a meeting to solve the problems highlighted by shuttler Mohd Roslin Hashim.
    And he hoped that a win-win solution would be reached within the next two weeks.
    Yesterday, Elyas met Roslin and the president of Nusa Mahsuri Jalani Sidek at his office in Bukit Jalil to hear Roslin's complaints on the BAM over their mistake of leaving his name out of the ongoing Singapore Open and the next week's Indonesian Open.
    “There have been many cases of athletes having grouses against the national associations but this is the first case that a player is demanding for compensation from a national sports body,” said Elyas.
    “Roslin explained what had happened and submitted a three-page letter on his complaints and what he hopes to get from the BAM out of this. My officer will meet Roslin again as I wanted more details,” said Elyas.
    “Then, we will meet up with BAM to answer these allegations from Roslin. We hope to find an amicable solution on this matter. Give us one to two weeks.” The BAM's secretary P. Ganga Rao said: “We welcome the Sports Commissioner as the mediator to resolve the problem. Hopefully, this 'family' matter will be resolved amicably.”

3. little_bird

little_bird Regular Member

4. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't know the amount Roslin asked for compensation but I do think BAM have to take responsibility for making the same mistakes 4 times in submitting his application to 4 different tournaments. What if that happen to you? Roslin would have qualified for the World Championship if the above mistake is avoided. In my opinion, Roslin entitles to ask for compensation for such blunder mistakes!

5. little_bird

"So, it’s fair for him to seek monetary compensation from BAM through legal means. Period.

However, to my real surprise, that’s not about it. He wants something which is a lot more than that. Come on, doesn’t Roslin Hashim feel ashamed of himself that he is bold enough to demand for a place in the World Championships, does he?"

;-)

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

If it was a shame on him, then why is Tan Sri Elyas (Sports Commissioner) entertaining him ?

Although I like to think BAM is doing a good job overall, this is one thing I feel Roslin is right. To foul up his applications more than a few times is NOT ON! His rights to his rice bowl was in the hands of BAM and they denied him because of errors. BAM admitted their errors. The least they can do is conpensate him --- the interesting was in one of the claims he mentioned that he had to repay RM 70K to sponsors if he did not participate in tournaments without a good reason. Is BAM not registering him a good reason ? I wonder.

So your 'shame on him' is a bit rough !

7. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i think it is fair to ask for compensation be it by legal means or otherwise. if you can settle it amicably why go through the hassle of going to court? so he asked for a place to WC. i dont think that is shameful. there no way of knowing that if he had managed to enter SO and IO whether he could raise his ranking and earn a place himself. but since he was unable to fairly compete for the place due to no fault of his, i think it is fair enough for him to ask for a place in WC. though the last decision would be BAM's. BAM is entirely at fault in this case. it is unfair to all players, roslin and others who might have been working hard for a place in WC.

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

In this case, BAM should pay compensation to others if they allow Roslin to take his place in the World Championship.

9. little_bird

Yes, it's "too rough", "shame on Roslin" has since been striked out.

10. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    how about a little competition for the guys wanting the third spot to be fair to all. if roslin lost, he will have to accept that this is not his year. and if he won, the others have to give way. if that fair? i think it could be done.

11. winnie

winnie Regular Member

i read from NST that he's demanding for 500K..
    this amount is large!
    well, it is subjective abt him demanding for the 3rd place in WC
    it's unfair for him cos he might hv earned himself that 3rd spot if he manage to play in SO n IO..quite possible considering his recent performance..
    but then, there's possibility that maybe he wont play well too..
    if like that, it's unfair for other MS as they all also wan the 3rd spot..
    hmm.. lets see what is BAM's decision

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Lifetime Employment

If this becomes the law than Zhang Ning will have the right to play until 40

and past players dropped like Sun Jun,Ong ewe hock etc can sue for millions!

Its like saying a poorly performing officer cannot be retrenched and wants to be compensated for loss of opportunities to be the CEO.

I think then playing badminton is even more permanent than workingfor he Malaysian government!

13. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

1) For the 3rd spot, I think the qualified players will be selected from a closed session training programme where the best player in form will be chosen.

2) The penalty that Roslin has to pay to his sponsor might be valid if Roslin didn't do anything about this mistakes.

3) And lastly for the rest of the compensation, of course he had to ask a lot obiviously it will get slashed later.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, just want to chime in on this..

...here's my 2 cents..
    ..i would concur with that. It should be interesting to hear and read what will be BAM's counter argument/reasoning behind their blunders etc, but hopefully this will be resolved peacefully and amicably. All parties are professionals and i would expect no less..;) :cool:
    Abt all of his demands, mmm, personally, the demand of him being in the WC is a bit too much..and yes, i can understand the effect it will have on other players who want to be that final spot..:p
    ..good & quite a fair suggestion..My feeling is, it'll be a tough decision by BAM if indeed Roslin is demanding himself a spot in the WC or else..

Anyways, let's wait and hear what BAM's counter-response will be to all these and all of Roslin's demands; and what will be the final decision..It's unfortunate and a bit ugly, but hope they can resolve it soon..:):cool:

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

The wortld owes me a living

Let me put it in a nicer way,

this is a forum where the world world is reading the posts.

Our standards and expectations are different from the rest of the world

because of our environment, the whole world expects their people to be self-reliant and not depend on others for a living as of right.

The cantonese have a crude way of saying it, its like occupying a toilet for long hours and depriving others of a right to use it.

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

That reminds me of another interesting BAM episode,

when Tan Kim Her proposed to BAM that he wanted to rejoin BAM

and work in certain departments the reply from the BAM chairman was:

" When you apply repeat apply for a job you do not dictate the terms to your employer"

Guess where Tan Kim Her ended up next?

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well, it's true..

..and if i understand what you wrote..But reality is, there is NO single person, on this earth, who CAN SURVIVE WITHOUT depending on others(in any time of his/her life)...Even presidents/leaders/kings depend on their own people for survival..:p ;)

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Agree with you too, but the umbilical cord needs to be severed sometimes.

Or one has to perform eg win tournaments to justify remuneration , not just be an also ran,Even that is the rule in PBSI.

I am not making political statements, Malaysians need to understand global values, if not the endless problem of unemployed and unemployable youth will remain a long time.

The world must alos understand Msia, we stand too much rersources on useless people.Here the general attitude is that the needs of the majority
    prevail over the rights of minorities.In Western countries minorities rights are protected but here they tend to be marginalised.

These are not meant to be political, just to explain the context in which statements must be viewed.

Trouble is that there are too many postings here of things which have political connotations eg

fights with associations, there should be more posts on how to enjoy the game not players run-in with their associations.

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

#19 jug8man, May 5, 2007
    Last edited: May 5, 2007
  20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    I've nothing againts Ong Ewe Hock. He was a national player funded by national funds. It is BAM's right to decide if to fund any players expenses to tournaments. This is the well known open risk for joining a national body instead of going pro.

Pro's (especially those performing well) naturally garner better relationships with their sponsor and generally have better leverage in determining participation.

So I don't quite see the comparison. I can't speak about Sun Jun or Zhang Ning as I don't want to speculate on subject I less versed in.

Cheers
    TBBMBB(N)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.