Measuring optimum grip-size

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Nimbus, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Nimbus

Nimbus Guest

G5-smallest
    G4-small
    G3-larger
    G2?
    G1?

I have heard there is a way to measure the ideal grip size for one's hands; does anyone know? And, how much difference is there between the g3 and the g4 sizes?

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    don't know the measurement that you're lloking for, but I'd go with the smallest grip that you feel comfortable with. this will enable u to hold the racket more in your fingers rather than down in the palm of your hand (such as you would for a tennis racket). this should facilitate making fine adjustments in grip as well as helping to keep the grip and forearm very relaxed before accelerating the racket toward the shuttle; this should help both power & control. note that there are some advanced players that prefer a large grip, but I believe that the smaller grip is the way to go for most players.

there is a noticeable diff in size between G3 & G4. it may be fairly easy to go from one size to the next, but u may find that one feels better than the other. if u plan to use an overgrip then choose the smaller of 2 preferred grip sizes.

3. Lil

Lil Guest

Also...
    The official measurements for grip sizes are:

G2: 3 2/8 inches
    G3: 3 3/8 in
    G4: 3 4/8 in
    G5: 3 5/8 in

4. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

G2 = 3 5/8
    G3 = 3 1/2
    G4 = 3 3/8
    G5 = 3 1/4

5. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I assume that these are the Yonex sizes as Winex grip sizes goes from G2 (smallest) to G5 (biggest).

Some manufacturers just list the size in inches as in 3.5 inch (e.g. Black Knight).