LWW/CTF : So close yet so near

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by YelSttr, May 6, 2007.

1. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

I think they have done pretty well. And I really thought they were they better pair as compared to Cai/Fu today. Their defensive play was top notch. The only little black mark is their temperament. In the 2nd game, during match point LWW/CTF were smilling, probably thinking they had the SO in the bag already. And this is a lesson indeed as it aint over till the fat lady sings. In the rubber game when LWW/CTF were leading 7 points, they again fell into a slumber and allowed Cai/Fu to crawl back from the dead.

Lesson learnt here is never ever under estimate your opponents.

Anyway, congrats to Cai/Fu. They are indeed world class and their consistency and approach to the game is a benchmark for our Msian pairs. No rings, bracelets, etc etc. ;)

2. maIRa

maIRa Regular Member

ok lar wat..they fought very hard.juz luck is not at their side..wat to do

3. munnyface

munnyface Regular Member

Student
    I was following the live score on the internet. Was gutted they didn't win considering they had won the first set (quite comfortably I presume?) and had a huge lead in the 2nd.

I'm not trying to criticise them on the back of their failure to capture the title, but in the last couple of years that I've watched LWW/CTF play, I've observed that they never really seemed to be able to close down a match when it matters, ie leading miles ahead and then let people catch up. SO is one, and All England QF was another. And if I am not mistaken, the HK Finals last year as well. These are just some of the matches that I remembered lah...and again, I'm not bashing them (before anyone starts to claim so), just stating what I have observed.

Nonetheless, I'm glad they're still around, playing world class badminton and actually winning quite some matches lately. I hope they continue their fine run. It's good to see other pairs like MZAL/MFMT shining in this tournament too. Malaysian Men's Doubles players need this kind of internal competition to lift their games respectively. THE pair who was expected to win better buck up lah huh...

p/s: Haha, still about bling bling ar? Aiyor, pls lah. But I thought I once saw the Chinese pair wearing necklaces too...now are you gonna hold it against them? Or is it just because they made it inconspicuous, it's fine?

4. chgoh25

chgoh25 Regular Member

what's bling bling?

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    We may have learnt that lesson, but it seems LWW/CTF haven't even after years of being on the receiving end of the negative consequences of not following the lesson.

6. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Cai/Fu did well in this tournament, congrats. But them being benchmark for our Msian pairs? Its abit too exaggerating dont u think? This is only their 1st title since WC, only after half a year! And yes, the chinese do wear jewelries, necklaces etc but its just the players own personal preference, nth much to comment about.

Anyway, CTF/LWW blew it again. Just like how they blew their HKO title last year after having a big lead against Markis/Hendra. I think they hv the best skills among the Msian pairs but weak mental strength which nth Rexy can do about.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

don't you mean so close yet so far??
    hahaha .... this is typical, i think rexy has to concentrate on trying to get his pairs to focus more during critical points and develop a bit more of a killer instinct.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Dont forget that LWW/CTF still leads in their face off against the Chinese pair.. 4-2.

9. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Did you see the rings and bracelets on Cai/Fu???

10. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

No, I meant exactly so close yet so near for LWW & CTF case. Because this pair are known as a consistent 'nearly' pair. In summary, i was speaking in jest.

11. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Who won the most titles?

12. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

In the 2nd set, when LWW/CTF had match point, they were smilling especially LWW. They were over confidence and thought they had the chinese pair under the knife. But Cai/Fu fought back from two match points and forced a rubber. This is what i meant by the poor Msian mentality. We get over confident easily.

Other than this blimp, I think CTF/LWW played very well. But Cai/Fu, credit to them. They never give up.

13. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

They r jewelries right? Does necklaces count too? Does that matter anyway??
    Lol.... players do not hv to dress "goody goody" to play badminton right? If that is so, they might as well wear white shirts and pants like in the 80s. :D

14. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Do you see any top world class players today on court with rings and bracelets? What about past legends? Ever see them on court with a couple of rings and bracelets??

And my question was whether Cai/Fu had any rings or bracelets on?

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Like I said, they haven't learned their lesson. They Had Match Point in AE as well and blew it. It happens everytime to them.

16. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

And yes, Cai/Fu wear rings on court, both of them. My question is why does that matter anyway? Taufik wears lots of jewelry, LD wear diff necklace everytime, LHI wears earring.. etc...
    And why should them follow how the "past legends" wear? Our players r not living in the "past" r they? :p

#16 zqloy, May 6, 2007
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  17. munnyface

munnyface Regular Member

Student
    So what if they have, or haven't?

Understand the words personal preference ar?

You might have a problem with people wearing jewellery, but I just don't think it's not fair to harp on that when it should be their BADMINTON performances and APPROACH TO THE GAME + ATTITUDE ON COURT that we should be focusing on.

18. munnyface

munnyface Regular Member

Student
    Apologies for the typo.

Was supposed to be

"I don't think it's FAIR to harp on..."

19. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

I would suggest you to try to catch the re-run of yesterday's final and watch closely again whether you find any rings or bracelets on either Cai/Fu.

Lin Dan wears a necklace thats all, no rings or bracelets.
    Taufik, if I can recall has a bracelet. Nothing in excess unlike our 'glamour star' ;)

No one is asking the current batch to follow what the past legends wore. What the current batch needs to emulate is how the previous players went about in achieving their success. If one is only a flash in a pan but goes to court and play to the gallery and has rings and bracelets on, what is the impression??? :rolleyes:

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

In the past, the legends did not wear rings and bracelets because these blings were very expensive compared to what they earned, so they can't afford them.And they only have the real thing, no choice of fun costume jewelry like now.It's good to live in the present:There's more choice in how you want to live your life.