Distraction for players during matches

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by chorlaw, May 6, 2007.

1. chorlaw

chorlaw Regular Member

:confused:
    I was there at the Spore Indoor Stadium last night and tonight, catching the full actions of those international players.
    Noticed that a certain country brought in drums to cheer their players, but I believed the noise was immense enough to distract players in the court. Actually the clappers distributed by the organisers and sponsors were already loud enough to support the players, is there a neccessity for the drums?
    And the noise created by the drums covered the voice cheering for the opponent's party, i felt that it was not fair.
    Why didn't World Badminton Federation or the organiser ban audience to bring in drums or other instruments that create loud noise that distract players?

2. Sideline

Sideline New Member

In my books, that's called atmosphere. I suppose the organizers could have banned the drums to regulate the noise level to their liking, just like how most things are in Singapore. Kudos that they didn't.

Anyway, even with the drums, the noise level is nothing compared to Senayan or Bukit Jalil. I suppose seasoned players have gotten used to it. I was at the Singapore indoor stadium today by the way.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I just saw part of the finals on TV. The drums really added to the atmosphere of the occasion, especially during the men's doubles finals. I'm all for loud noises, cheering, chanting and drums from the audience.

I believe it adds to the attractiveness of our sport because it reflects the enthusiasm that we have.

#3 Cheung, May 6, 2007
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  4. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Yeah i luv drums. Creates great badminton atmosphere! As long as no booings, its ok to me.

5. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    even for soccer...it is worse..they bring drums, etc....thats challenge for players especially when they play in Malay or Indonesia...their ears have to really THICK

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Well done! Samsung MAS cheer team!

Yeah, the Samsung MAS cheer group did a terrific job of drumming up the crowd to life. They even cheered for Thailand!That's why the first thing Boonsak said in his victory interview was to thank his supporters. They helped bring out the best in him.CY was not short on support. CHN's Jia You came from all FOUR corners; MAS only one corner so even with drums, CHN's louder. ONly have one request to CHN fans. Cheer before or after play ;not during play pls. In any case,CHN's cy/fhf still won ,so maybe the drums work for them too.

7. Shuttlekok

Shuttlekok Regular Member

Sorry... but i can't imagine badminton with spectators watching silently
    and clapping after each point. Might as well be a closed door affair and
    braodcast over TV so players won't be distracted...

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Watch matches from 20 yrs ago of the All England:p

9. chorlaw

chorlaw Regular Member

no la...of course i dun like silent matches too...
    but i suppose with the clappers the cheering are sufficient enough for the players in the court.....
    too much drums could be quite annoying to some ears of the players..
    the organiser did have their own drumroll to lead the crowd. isn't it?

:p

no hard feelings for any specific country's supporter

10. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    this so-called "TRADITION" has been going on for decades and its even worse when in Indonesia and Malaysia.... that's the beauty of BADMINTON... which other sports have that type of enthusiasm (except football i suppose)..... even tennis doesn have that atmosphere when the match is going on.... i think u're trying to say the msians who brought the drums arent u???

11. tjl_vanguard

Student
    haha funny... :D

12. tjl_vanguard

Student
    i saw in the match that at times, the chn fans were waving the flags and its reli distracting... noises is still kinda ok but visually distracted is a little too much... :D

13. bariq

bariq Regular Member

whether its distracting or not, it surely creates a atmosphere and the players should be strong enough to get through it. There is one guy who was waving a big flag of China just behind the players, thats more distracting than drums.

well if you ban drums and clappers... then as MLTR at their concert in singapore said "We gave concerts in many places but never seen people who sit on chairs and clap" hahaha ;)

14. tjl_vanguard

Student
    tats a good one hahah :D :D :D

15. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Lol.... the noise in SO is nth compare to Indon fans. They use to even throw bottles and create havoc when indonesia is hosting TC last time.

16. Dimplex

Dimplex Regular Member

student
    i think all the noise...drums etc add atmosphere...its a lot better than the tennis where the umpire is always asking for quiet

17. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I thought the crowds were fantastic. Cai/Fu and Tan/Lee were inspired to play better and even thanked the supporters after the game :)

Attached Files:

18. tjl_vanguard

Student
    yea... no doubt about that.. can see tat frm the TV as well.... :D

but, if were to compare SO to MO and IO, the cheers and drum bangings are still not that "HOT" yet! haha :D no offense...

19. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    worse case of supporters jepordising a match - In the Thomas cup finals between Denmark and Indonesia in an unknown year in Thailand, Indonesian students wore white shirts and pants with black jackets and almost fully booked the stadium. They put on the black jacket when they were facing the Indonesian players, so that the Indo players could see the shuttlecock better, while the other end took off their jacket. When the players switched ends of the court, the spectators switched colours too, so the Danish players' vision were somewhat affected.

20. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

lol.... its true. MO hv smaller stadium but bigger "bangs"! Cant wait for the WC in Aug, must be loads of fun! :D