Stringing nightmare Calton AS1

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Steve willis, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Steve willis

Steve willis Regular Member

Badninton coach/fitness trainer
    Carlton AS! Airblade over £100 + to buy! ( what a load of rubbish! )
    I restrung this racket for a customer and could not work out why it kept coming back with broken strings every week.I was using Rally 21 which is like barge rope, so type of string was not the reason.Strung at 20lbs, so not to tight?Changed the grommets all ten across the top of the head.AND The owner of the racket could not hit the shuttle hard if he's life depended on it.
    Then i looked at Racket in more detail?and found the strings were so proud from the frame, if you were to strike the ground with the head of the racket the string was the first point of contact with the floor.SEEN BETTER MADE RACKETS AT THE LOCAL SUPERMARKET!

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Prob a Fake!

I have consistently played with several AS 1's of my fellow mates at the club! I even owned one for a brief while! I dont see any Problem at all! It seems a Unique problem!

I never string my rackets anywhere more than 23-24!

I can vouch for onething! Teh quality Controil of carlton has a long way to go! I think each racket is unique and thus not consistent! I guess he just had a Bad Piece from the lot!

It is dead cheap here! If i tell him the price he will cry! All i can tell u is that u can def get more than 2 rackets for the price he paid!

3. Question

Question Guest

What Ashaway strings would you reccomend?

4. Steve willis

What Ashaway strings would you reccomend?

Are you asking this ??? for the Carton AS1or another brand of racket??

5. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

My Observation!

I have tried various strings but then i stronly believe in Yonex strings! I think It is best if u can string it in Bg 66 or Bg 85! Carltons are exceptional rackets For club players who dont have such amazing wrists like Internationla players!

I believe that AS 1 is not very head heavy but stiffer than AS TI. So ideally u shoudl have one layer of yonex Grip and Bg 85 at 23! U can kill ur opponent! Whjat i love abt carlton Is the net play! I think It has great control!

If u are a player with a very good parallel game then carlton is the name of the Game for u!

6. Question

Question Guest

Just wondering given your ashaway connections what is a good ashaway string to buy for my racket. I want a good string that's going to last.

7. Question

Question Guest

It's not an AS1 by the way - it's a different brand of racket.

8. Steve willis

I currently use the top of the range Ashaway XT-555 and use Ashaway Micropower Strings at 22lbs tension
    I found Micropower is a little bit more durable then Ashaway Microlegend

9. Question

Question Guest

Thanks Stephen