Team Selection at club level

Discussion in 'UK' started by Kizmit, May 6, 2007.

1. Kizmit

Kizmit New Member

Hi

I have been voted onto our clubs team selection committee. I was just wondering what the process of team selection was at other league clubs?

Thanks

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

depends on how well you know your club players.
    if you have played with them for years and years, then you'll know their standard and who your best 6 players are, that'll be your team.
    otherwise, spend the next few sessions observing their play, maybe organise certain games between players to see how well they play together to get a feel for possible team lineups.

3. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

In our club, we have a policy that all team members must be good club members.

In our league there have been a few clubs that have not survived because their team members only played in matches and during club nights would only play amongst themselves. Consequently club members who were not playing in teams left.

You can have a club without teams but you can't have teams without a club.

4. Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool Regular Member

badminton
    yeah i know what you mean......sometimes these selected players think they are better than other club members....

happening in my club too, the only reason why i'm not selected coz i am new in a club and the club already have "fixed team" to represent them in macthes/tournament.

not that i want to play and represent the club but at least they have to give other club members chance to play with/against this so called "fixed team". Most of the time i play duing club nights (MD), against any pair, i beat almost all (most) club "fixed team". But coz they already have their "fixed team" other club members are left stading to play among non "fixed team" most of the time.

Sometimes it really sucks when you have to play with/against beginner players...i mean really beginner level (dont even know how to serve and what are the lines mean).

Anyway, it gives me big smile whenever i beat this "fixed team" ..hahahaha

Still remember one of the nights when the club having a home game tournament and they are using 2 courts and the other 2 courts are for other club members to play during that night.

That night good friends of mine (non-regular) club members turned up and we really was having an excellent game (while macthes are being played). It caught people attention that we were really having a good game (and we are that good too...??!!!), ended up visiting team players those are waiting for their turn to play were wacthing and cheering us playing rather than wacthing/cheering at their team members who were currently playing at that time. Few of them even said, "lucky" we didn't have to play aginst these people.....i smiled...!

Enough said....

ps- enjoying this beatiful game - badminton....!

#4 Zero_Cool, May 8, 2007
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  5. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    We have a similar thing where I play.
    I remember when I first joined the club I played all summer and thought I was ok compared to some of the other players there and was hoping to get into one of the league teams. But then the week before the league season started a load of people I had never seen before turned up and got straight into the league teams. :(

It can be frustrating that some of these people only ever play in league games and don't turn up the rest of the time. But then again most of the players who do that are better than me so it's kinda fair in a way. ;)

I guess I will just have to improve my game! :p