Boonsak's Ascendancy

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by X Ball, May 6, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Is it a fluke ? Why is Boonsak suddenly able to produce such an awesome display of badminton ?

We watched him beat LD and Chen Yu. He played magnificently. He played like he had done this many times before -- it was such an intimidating display that the 'once-easy-to-succumb' Boonsak was soon forgotten as the matches rolled on. It was Boonsak the invincible.

Can a person like Boonsak, who I remember, was quite reasonable, a year or so back, and who was then also cast into the wilderness (lost like LCW), come back and be a champion player ? He has proven it this time and with style. I watched him play and he did not seem to be breathing hard at all during the matches and he expended so much on his smashes.

What an event ! I hope Thailand has got it right now with its singles. I might call it a new 'dawn' if he wins again in the IO.

NB: If Thailand can do it with Boonsak, I am as certain Malaysia Boleh !

2. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    good one X Ball... hope Boonsak can keep the "Ball" rolling hahahah :D

3. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Well i salute him. The most brave and courageous effort so far ive seen this year (last year's was LCW's magical 8 match point comeback).

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Thai team does not need Li Mao to beat Lin Dan. Ponsana proves the point very well.

LCW, where are you going from here ?

5. bariq

bariq Regular Member

Full credit to the thai "think tank" and boonsak for carving the fall of the chinese gaints. boonsak stuck to his game plan and reserved his energy for covering the court rather than expending it on smashing all the time, nobody expected him to pin top players on their forehand with nice deep drives. Hope he and his coach continues the good work. well done.

Saying that full credit to chen too he played top through out the tournament. just fantastic.

6. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

CY was extremely solid while playing PG at the semis but didnt seem to hv the same confidence while playing Boonsak during finals. I guess he might hv crumbled under the pressure of winning.

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I jumped off my seat the moment when I see Boonsak beating CY in the final. Who would have guessed him the winner of the 07 SO where all TH, LD, PG, CH, CY, KJ, CJ and LCW didn't make it. This win will surely give him a huge boost on all the fore-coming tournaments.

Big salute to the Thai hero!

8. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    Boonsak was really impressive! no surprise beating top chinese players with the way he played. absolutely incredible skills and fantastic plays. fast and extreme accuracy!

LCW, did you see that? if you do, wake up from your dreamland!

9. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Boonsak already showed he has great potential when he was still studying in the past. a great guy with full potential.

10. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Let's get back to the topic, my friends. This thread is about Boonsak, not BAM!;)

The draw for Boonsak in this week IO is tough, he has byed in 1st round, then will face the winner of Taufik/Chen Jin game in round of 16. If he proceed to the QF, he might face CY again!!!

Well, by the end of this week, we will know if Boonsak triumph in SO is a fluke or we really have a new force in the MS!

This must an exciting week for Boonsak and all his fans!

11. $100 Dreams

$100 Dreams Regular Member

Yup, it was a great performance by Boonsak!! I hope he'll start winning more tournements

Eventhough I'm a malaysian, it makes it even clearer for us to see that the system is corrupted. Its true many of his just talk and do nothing, but even if we want to join BAM for example, I dont think we could survive in there looking at the discrimination many have received. Actually, most systems in malaysia are like that, not only for badminton in malaysia. And all of us have got frustrated at some point and all of us has had to live with it. Thats malaysia for you!

It was frustrated when you suddenly read in the papers that Li Mao has left BECAUSE BAM took so long to consider his renewal of employment. I'm not saying that without Li Mao the malaysian team cannot fight on, but he is a good coach, and a good coach should be treated with respect. haha.. well said up there, LCW should get some points from Boonsak.

Boonsak is definitely the man of this tournement!! :D

12. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Then tell me how come a country like Thailand , with respect is not a badminton power can produce decent players while we in Msia , despite the government funds etc etc, are still not there competing with the best??

13. $100 Dreams

$100 Dreams Regular Member

Good way of putting it.

Hey!! did anyone realise Boonsak was a semi-finalist at the last Olympics in Athens 2004? Hoho.. and he's rankings seem to be consistent in the top 20. Go Boonsak!!

14. Dimplex

Dimplex Regular Member

student
    yeh...somehow most threads these days evolve into a thread for pointing out the failures of BAM...

anyway, i read from http://www.badzine.info/content/view/312/2/:

Boonsak, ranked 11th right now, is currently in his best form for this tournament. His target is to make it to the top 5 within this year.

The most important thing is to keep myself in form. I will play my best for the next tournament in Indonesia.”

As the men’s singles champion of the Aviva Open Super Series 2007, Boonsak was awarded US$16,000. “I’ve never won so much money in my life,” said the friendly Thai. “I will give this money to my mom in Thailand.”

my immediate reaction was what a good son he is! :rolleyes:

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

If that is true, it puts tears in your eyes ! He is a real champion already.

That aside, I thought Boonsak has bulked up a bit, can anyone tell me I am wrong. His arms are looking like he has been pumping a bit of iron. The other thing that struck me was the fact that he did not show heavy breathing which indicates to me this guy is really fit ! Tell me I am wrong.

16. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Let me just add something and hopefully get this thread back to its topc:

Bonsak has be around for a number of years already and has always been there or thereabout but never really won a major open until last week. Has the Thai badminton association deserted him despite he has not won them anything? Thank goodness they did not. That is why Bonsak was able to compete in SO and won it!

Yes it is good that we all set our target high, Olympic gold included. But even we did not acheive what we set out for, we still can enjoy and appreciate the process, the journey, the joy and pain together.

The players, representing their own country, carry all the burdens and expectations of their fellow country men. When the do well, they deserve our priases, but when they are not doing well, they need our support too.

As an ordinary or even mediocre badminton player like me, perhaps I will never understand what these top players go through. But at least I can show is my appreciation of their skills, which cannot be obtained without much sacrifices, and my support. Not least for the love of the game.

17. bariq

bariq Regular Member

Spot on, well said

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Spoken like a true fan !:D

19. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    bravo bravo. i am gladly :D on the same boat.

20. Misty100

Misty100 Regular Member

Gosh, you guys are totally off topic. Please start another thread and argue there.

Let's all give BOONSAK the credits he rightfully deserved, be it a flash in the pan or what... overcoming several tough worldclass opponents are no easy feats... and eventually lifting the title. He may have peaked at SO, and probably not in IO... so please you guys, BOONSAK deserves to be honoured for his effort and hope he will continue to be a force to reckon with in all the coming tournaments.