Need help on singles.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by novadragon849, May 7, 2007.

1. novadragon849

novadragon849 Regular Member

Hey guys I think I need some help on singles. Here's the story, I play with my badminon mates which consists of a person around my height and relies on brute force smashes, the other being a shorter, not as good a smasher as the other but has extreme agility. and all in all I must say we are about the same.

I personally rely little on smashes as they both give me very little chance to do a smash and my smash technique is quite good as I can feel that I hit a good shot as I believe most smashers out there can feel it too if they pulled a good one but mine is not very strong.

Me being good with tactics and realising there weak spots I believe is my only pole that keeps me in rank in them, but lately I believe they figured out all my tactics so they can read my next move like a book. Which immediately puts me out there league as we play to five points and then switch to the other person standing out and I have been losing quite alot compared to before.

So me going against the brute force smasher, I must say he is the hard nut to crack. I serve to him right to the back of the court and he returns it to me with a hard clearing shot so I retaliate using a back court drop shot or I just hit it with all the might I have to the opening he created.

I always known he was weak with his drop shots so me doing drop shots against him was the best but he seems to know now when I do it which I find incredible since I don't make it obvious in fact I even sometimes feint a smash shot. He manages to return with another drop shot which sometimes I fall for or he just hits it back up and carry on the game. So this is problem 1.

With the drop shot out the window this only leaves me with the all my might option. I must say my smash against him is nearly useless as he just intercepts in the way and manages to smash down on me in the area which I left empty which no way can I returns those as I must say he's pro with his smashes with extreme power and accuracy. This is problem 2. As you can see this is what happens all the way throughout the game until I lose.

Now against the little agile player. He I must say has so much more stamina than me as well as amazing agility.

My usual tactic against him is the same as above but this time my smashes are effective on him and his smashes still being effective back on me but at least I can return them same as he can return mine. My only problem is that he is along the same type of person as me being a tactician so he drops shots when I'm expecting a smash etc. Well personally I can't argue that hes better than me being a tactician but my strength far surpasses him, so I often smash against him until I win usually, but I can't hold up for long as smashes I reckon is extremely tiring and after 10 smashes I'm knackered, this is when he retaliates with all his tactician skills until I lose as he can return my smashes which he didn't use to and I don't have the stamina to keep up with his strategy. Problem 3.

Sorry for the long essay but I believe that I can surpass both of them but its just not happening now and I need the 3 problems sorting out.

Problem 1: ineffective drop shot.

Problem 2: extreme smashes till I lose.

Problem 3: out of stamina quickly compared to him.

Because we all play in the same club we usually play friendly matches but I just don't want to pull a gap between us.

Also I think I found a solution for problem 3. Being: he is good with stamina but if only I can create a smash with as much power as the brute force smasher then hes history, by doing this I reckon I need a new racquet as the racket I have now is very flexible and I find it differcult to hit from baseline to baseline which I have no problem with there racquet so do you guys reckon this is a good investment?

Thank You and any advice is welcome.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

okay, Here it goes:

- Stop doing "standard solutions" in any game of badminton (don't always do a dropshot when he clears, don't keep on smashign until you win).
    The reason your opponents figured you out is because you probably play a lot of standard shots.
    Train to keep an eye open on court: where's he moving to, is his racket up? What shots can he play when you do this and that....

from your description of the smasher: you look 'afraid' to play a clear/lob (because of his smash) while it's a natural thing to do, but keep in mind he can't smash éver lob you play. Try practising lower lobs, or 'netpushes' (do a search here on BC, there's a video of Lin Dan doing a brilliant one). or start doing tumbeling netshots if you aren't already.

against the running-man (;)) I'd advise you the same thing: keep varying yor strokes, and placement.

think fo your tactics not like "I'm doing this shot" but mroe like "I'm gonna do/try this and that to accomplish..."

3. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    jerby forgot...DON'T focus on buying a new racket =PP. skills first ;)

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

When you say drop shot, do you mean regular drop shot or slice drop shot?
    What you can try is some deceptive shots to keep hom honest on your smash. A slice drop is a good option. My mostion for slice frop is same as my smash. Also if you can, just clear it to his back hand s few time before you hit a regular smash. As master Jerby said, mix it up!

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

With regard to having to smash multiple times and still not winning the points, I would look at varying smash placement. Send the first one into his inside hip and the next one to his backhand, for example. If two consecutive smashes come back, you should try another shot to

a) wrongfoot him

and

b) give yourself some time to recover

This shot could be a clear or net shot, preferably to the furthest corner from him. After this, look for another chance to smash again (once you've recharged!).

6. novadragon849

cheers guys the advice kinda work and with a bit more practice im back anyway regarding getting a racquet i was in a shop and had a chance to test a armortec 300 i loved it straight away it was lighter and my smashes were alot stronger and accuracy went up as well. I havent bought it yet but i was wondering why i was told not to get one. Also what ability describes you between beginner, good and pro and by reading my post where will you guys place me and how can improve to the higher tiers.

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, I guess an AT300 wouldn't hurt. if you demo'ed it and like it..why not?
    he was just warning you a $200 armortec 900 won't make you play better...(different forum, and been done to death)

as for beginner/intermed./advanced...Most of the time it's based on own perception, and fancy tricks...there's no way to asses ones level over the internet, and there's no need to.

8. novadragon849

thanks and terms of performance is the AT300 any good for competitive matches or is it inferior to others cause i got a match coming up. Also are there any professional with the same style of play as me so i can maybe learn a trick or two.

9. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    Nahh...Just emphasizing that buying a new racket isn't the solution to badminton problems. As for play styles...I find it often better to have your own thing rather than playing by the book all the time. It kind of makes the game more exciting for yourself as you're playing with your heart and own developed 'style' rather than copying everything just to get to the top. Of course I'm not saying that wouldn't work; it's just my opinion =). gL

10. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hey, how about training up your physicals to smash harder and have more stamina to smash? And doing footwork training to be faster and more agile?

11. truasianfx

truasianfx Regular Member

none
    First of all, stop smashing because this is not a doubles game. Ur probably getting tired out because u smash too much. In singles, u make ur opponent run as much as possible to get them tired. It seems like ur getting urself tired. Something that i find effective is clearing and clearing to that same spot again because its difficult to go forward to the center and then going backwards. Smash if u can get into a good position, but most of the times its making them run.

12. BlinkNdSmashed

BlinkNdSmashed Regular Member

Student
    if the brute strenght guy doesn't have much stamina, just hit it to the 4 corners RANDOMLY, not in a sequenced pattern, also, i think you need to do more cardio work too, don't smash too much since you don't have too much stamina, as it wastes quite a bit of energy.