Harian Metro: Eddy pertahan Kien Keat, Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by winnie, May 7, 2007.

1. winnie

winnie Regular Member

Oleh Sufian Thauri Muhammed
    sufianthauri@hmetro.com.my

KETIKA prestasi tidak konsisten beregu emas, Koo Kien Keat dan Tan Boon Heong semakin mendapat kritikan, legenda badminton negara, Datuk Eddy Chong, tampil mempertahankan mereka.

Kien Keat dan Boon Heong tersingkir di pusingan pertama Terbuka Singapura, apabila tewas mengejut kepada rakan senegara, Mohd Zakry Latif/Mohd Fairuzizuan Tazari, 15-21, 21-13, 21-15 dalam tempoh 44 minit.

Ini kekalahan kedua mereka kepada rakan senegara selepas tunduk kepada pasangan veteran, Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah di final Kejohanan Badminton Asia (ABC), bulan lalu.

Eddy yang mengikuti perkembangan juara Seluruh England itu menyifatkan kekalahan mereka bukan perkara luar biasa.

“Saya sudah tekankan beberapa kali bahawa mereka dalam proses pembelajaran. Mereka memerlukan dua atau tiga tahun lagi untuk sampai ke tahap terbaik.

“Kekalahan yang dialami di Terbuka Singapura adalah normal dan bukan satu yang luar biasa kerana ia lumrah kepada pemain yang dalam proses pembelajaran,” katanya.

Beliau juga menegaskan, apa yang berlaku sekarang adalah harapan terlalu tinggi diletakkan kepada beregu terbabit.

“Mereka baru menjuarai empat kejohanan, tetapi terlalu banyak harapan disandarkan kepada mereka.

“Perlu diingatkan bahawa Kien Keat dan Boon Heong masih muda. Permainan mereka juga belum cukup matang.

“Berikan masa dan jangan terlalu menekan mereka,” katanya.
    Meskipun prestasi mereka dipertikaikan,Kien Keat dan Boon Heong tidak pernah kalah kepada pemain luar negara sejak Seluruh England, Mac lalu.

p/s: i found the translation for this article in kkk's blog so im posting it later.. the credit goes to sss

Harian Metro(translation)

Inconsistent performance period in this pair,KKK & TBH gain more criticism,national badminton legend, Datuk Eddy Choong,came forward to defend them.

KK & BH were out in the 1st round of SO2007 when they were defeated by their compatriot, MZL/MFT, 15-21,21-13 & 21-15 within 44 minutes.

This was their 2nd defeat to their compatriot after bow to spouse veteran,CTF/LWW in the ABC final last month.

Eddy, who is keep tracking of the all england champion said that their failure not unusual thing.

"I had stated many times that they are in learning process.They need 2 or 3 years more to reach the best level.The failure in S02007 was normal & not extraordinary bcuz it is usual to the players in the learning process," he said.

He also stated,what had happened was due to the high hope had been putting on them.

"They just won 4 tournaments but there was too much hope had been putting on them.Need to be reminded that KKK & TBH still young.Their game also not good enough.Give time to them & dont too depress them," said Datuk Eddy Choong.

Eventhough their performance disputed,KK & BH never lost to the players from other countries since the all england,last month.

credit: sss

2. yhkin

yhkin Regular Member

Government officer
    hopefully they will do better in IO...thanks for the article..i read it yesterday...no need to bash them, just wait and see how they perform in IO.
    i agree with Datuk Eddy Chong!!! way to go kkk and tbh!!!

3. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

4. munnyface

munnyface Regular Member

Student
    Not sure if I'm being super perasan or what, but I noticed that when KKK and TBH play, they tend to look at their coach's direction a lot. And the latter will give sideline coaching as the game is going on. In fact, the defeats they had in the hands of their team-mates do make me question if they are relying a little too much on their coach(es)? Rexy wasn't there the last 2 times they lost to the other Malaysian pairs...

Hmm, just a thought lah. They might just be looking for reassurance and the situation isn't what I think it to be...

Not saying the players shouldn't listen to their coaches, but they do need to think play their own game and think for themselves when on the court.

5. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

you are right. they rely too much on their coach and therefore, there is not much creativity in their game. they are the robots of rexy but rexy did a very good job in coming out with excellent strategy.

6. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    That's not fair! The two of them are actually very creative --- too creative, in fact, that Rexy has to constantly rein them in. When they are in their highly effective attacking mode (the way they play when they score five or six points in a roll), they don't actually play many fancy strokes.

It appears they know how to get into this mode themselves, judging from the ABC MD finals, but they frequently don't stay in this mode for the whole game. Sometimes they also lapse into a defensive mode, and lose five or six points in a roll. I think this is where Rexy comes in.

7. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

don't they always look back at rexy most of the time during matches? it was rexy directing them from behind. they are almost unbeatable when rexy is around. their opponent has to defeat 3 people, who are KKK, TBH and Rexy. but when rexy is not around, they rely on themselves, and they lost mostly to their own teammates. this is the prove.

8. winnie

winnie Regular Member

well, i think they look back because rexy is their source of strength..
    as long as rexy is there they r confident n can fully utilise what they have..

9. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    BAM hires Rexy to guide KKK/TBH. What is wrong when the two young lads look at Rexy for guidance during a match? :confused:

10. munnyface

munnyface Regular Member

Student
    Think about this. A teacher teaches his students how to answer exam questions, but he doesn't go into the exam hall and tell them how to do it. He would, hopefully, have prepared them well beforehand, but in the exam, it should just be down to the student, and not the teacher.

That said, I know this is badminton we're talking about lah, not exams, so it may be unfair to compare the example above and the situation on court. Yes, Rexy is hired to guide them to victory, but he can sometimes be spoonfeeding them too much by giving guidance almost after every other point (if not every point). You don't see that with coaches from other countries (singles or doubles). Ultimately, it's the players on court who are playing, not the coaches.

Nonetheless, what I observed, is merely what I see on TV lah, ie a few scenes here and there. Maybe the situation in real life isn't what I make it to be (hopefully not). Great champions should know to think for themselves, for their coaches will not always be with them.

11. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

kudos! great answer.. it makes you a great person now.. haha.. yes, KKK/TBH should not rely too much on Rexy.. only time can help them gain experience.. LWW/CTF is our stable pair now.. they don't look back to rexy as often as KKK/TBH. that's the difference.. coaches play their part during training and players play their part during competition..

12. munnyface

munnyface Regular Member

Student
    Err, great person now? But I always have been!

Haha, nolah nolah, kidding only. Just putting my point forward that's all.

I have no qualms about them turning back and looking at their coaches for reassurance, but it'd be good if Rexy can let them play the whole 11 points without trying to inject too much wisdom because this can sometimes make them a little too complacent, thinking Rexy will always be there to remedy the situation. Granted he will, for that's what he's paid to do, but I'm just worried that this young pair might be at a lost when he ain't around...

And like you said, they're still young and learning, so hopefully they'd have more experience in the future to take more charge of their own games.

13. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    i believe there is 1 people only, Rexy they need to beat.............hopefully they can get what they need from their sifu Mr. Mainaky before he left BAM. Dont want them to become Mr. Quarter Finalists when Rexy decides to leave.......

14. snasirin

snasirin Regular Member

Lecturer
    malaysian doubles are all impressive. not many doubles form other countries can really stop them.

korean doubles are good too ... in fact they are getting better and better ... :) :crying: :crying: :)

15. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Of course they still need Rexy's guidance! Their partnership is not even mature yet unlike Cai/Fu and LWW/CTF, give them 1-2 years time to grow. Even CTF/LWW need Rexy, the man is the master of MD tactics.

16. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

In this short time, learn as much as possible from Rexy. if not, everything will be gone in case rexy leaves BAM, although it's slightly impossible. Zakry/Fairuzizian seems to have a bright future. i'm impresses today by their attacking play and power. zakry can jump like sudket from thailand. zakry has the power in his smash too. totally impressed. perhaps, next we will see Datuk Eddy commenting on Zakry/Fairuzizuan. another Razif/Jalani??

17. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    smash!.....drop no dont smash again!!...........let kien keat take it, no boon heong u stay behind!!!........cross court net!!......tap!!! no, not into the net!!! :eek::eek::eek: Be brave!!! Fight boys!!!!

:p:p:p:p:p Being Rexy must be a very tiring job......... He is a great player, a good man and a GREAT coach now. Maybe KKK/TBH should start to think more on their own while fighting down on the court than to look for Rexy most of the time for instructions.......Rexy cant be there for them forever.........

Unless KKK/TBH can afford to hire Rexy as their personal coach???!!!:p:p:p

18. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    hahaha......mini version of the Sidek Brothers?

or should i say adventurous hobbits from Shire that finally decides to turn into badminton players? :p:p:p:p

I like Zakry, he seems like a very explosive player, good anticipation, power n speed. IMO Fairuz is abit heavy and slower compared to Zakry, maybe he should trimmed down just a little bit.

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    give them a break

TBH-KKK is just 20 & 22.If they are super now,they will be superduper in next several years.It just a bad day for them now.Believe in them,I know they can.Like kkk said,give us support when we win.so do when we lose.They need us,Malaysian.Give them ur fully support.:)

20. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    everytime kkk/tbh turns to rexy for advice during the match shows how immature they are in the game.. they still have lots to learn.. and they are still young! what do they have to worry about?! they beaten the best!! this is part and parcel of their learning process... as badminton lovers, we should show our support instead of bashing them when they lose....