How does a Drop-weight machine work?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by doodlefreak, May 7, 2007.

1. doodlefreak

doodlefreak Regular Member

Can anyone explain to me how a drop-weight machine works? I just see a weight on a bar and the thing the holds the string at the back of the lever.. i dont quite get it? Does the weight drop and it just pulls the strings? Cant find any site to explain this, can anyone help explain how this type of machine works? THANKS

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

There is a thing call gravity. It act on the weight on the bar. when the weight settle and leveled, assume the force act on the weight is 2.5 kg and distance to pivit point is 20 cm. Also assume the tensioning head is 4 cm from the pivot point. Like a lever, the force act on the string is X. X*4=2.5*20 and solve for X. X=12.5Kg. That is the force pulling on the string and by definistion, the tension of the string.

3. doodlefreak

Lmao that seems complicated to use, are these machines effective and accurate? I notice they are much cheaper than crank. And does it lock in when the lever falls to the "right" position?

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

It is very accurate and effective if you know how to use it. Min maintainess. Nex time, please do a search in Stringing Technique forum and you will get the answer you are looking for.

5. doodlefreak

I did a search but its all on ppl rating this machine and all that, but not how it works, thanks for explaining!