Grip Tape

Discussion in 'Grip' started by david07, May 8, 2007.

1. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    How do I tape the racket so that I can hold the handle both ways... what I mean is that when I put my replacement grip on, i start at the bottom and wrap up like normally, but since one side has a bit more tape on it, it's bigger and it only feels good on one of the sides and the other side feels weird, am I the only one that feels this way? Or is something wrong with the way i'm putting my replacement and overgrips on?

2. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    David, dont quite get your question. If you wrap it properly, the grip should overlap evenly on both side of the handle. The only "thicker" part would be near the handle end when you start off and need slightly more overlap before wrap up at an angle. Cannot therefore imagine what you mean by "bigger" on one side and not on the other.

Perhaps a photo to show us?

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I had the same problem, I think. the buttcap (that what they call the plastic thing at the end of your handle) is bigger on one side, and runs more smoothly on the other.

For me, I solved it bit starting your grip at "the side" of the handle (nót on the side where you place your thumb for a backhand)

was that your question?

4. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    ya, the very bottom of the handle, one side is more overlapped from where you started so it's not fully even

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah, starting at a different point did it for me.

6. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    at what point should I start at? I've been thinking about actualy wrapping the very bottom of the but-cap as a starting point so the only un-even part is the but end which I'll never touch during play

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

there're 8 sides to your buttcap. two biggest, 2 medium, 6 small. For me: if I start at the biggest ones, I feel it's different. If I start at the medium-ones ('sides') it's gone. The bulge is still there, but I don't have my fingers there...

another option: place the replacement grip on there, make sure it's all tight and good (every bit sticks) and then (with a stanley knife) cut off the grip over the buttcap. make that wood/plastic part biger again with atheltic tape..and it's all good.
    warning: it might costs you your replacement grip..

8. vorxaw

vorxaw Regular Member

if the grip is that thick, you can slice the beginning of it with an exacto knife, to get a little "ramp" effect